The Soulpranos Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Froggy Caister sound system.

Hi everyone..does anyone have any photos of the famous Froggy A.S.S. sound system used at Caister and the Royalty in late `70s early 80`s?.... any photos of this system would be of great help.
cheers. Ian.

Where U @: essex!

Re: The Froggy Caister sound system.

Hi Ian,

I did have quite a few pics back in the day but they seem to have got mislaid in a house move (or my ex wife has them and won't tell me ). Can anyone else help Ian ? (I bet my old mates Frostie or Simon Harris have some classic pix stashed away).

Where U @: www.starpointradio.com www.myspace.com/djeddyjames

thanks Eddy,i have bought some of the old ASS system last year(about 40 cabinets),obviously after 25 years it was in poor condition, and i have been restoring it,so any photos of the original system would be really useful..its one of the best sounding soul-funk rigs i ever heard,i remembered hearing it at the Royalty back in late 70`s...here is a photo of one of the stacks before restoration.
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/14/asslongfp9.jpg

Eddy,i have added you to myspace,if thats ok.
cheers,Ian!
http://www.myspace.com/rare_groove_guy

No probs Ian and good luck with the restoration (perhaps post up a few pix once the project is finished).

Kind Regards Eddy

Where U @: www.starpointradio.com

Stop that, it's far too silly

I have a photo of Froggy and his set up in gt yarmouth when he did a party for me in the 80s with John Dean

Hi Richard,is it possible you could scan the photo,or take a snap of it with a digital camera,and email to me?
thanks,Ian.

Where U @: essex

I,ll try for you sir

Tony Rossell is still building systems in Southend but moved over to high end hifi speakers.

DC

i've got some pics of the system @Caister somewhere in the loft.... gonna take some digging out tho

I have spoken to Tony at ASS ,and bought a lot of spares from him,(with the exception of the blown Gauss drivers,as Gauss no longer exist anymore!,so i have replaced them with the alternative JBL drivers of the same vintage.)
Paul,any photos of the original set-up would be very helpful! thanks,Ian.

Not sure if this is what your looking for but there is a few photos in " The Family Album " Check out page 12. My my we have come along way, mind you it's not much bigger than a laptop

If you look on page 36 of Blues & Soul magazine from issue no 293 from Dec 18-31 1979
There's a picture of Froggy and his Monster roadshow taken at The Royalty as a publicity photo.
Can scan it you want..............

Froggy sold his rig to Pete Tong , I know this because I lifted the stuff in and out of Tongy's old transit, I do have some photos tucked away from CAISTER & WOODVILLE HALS gigs. Will see what i can find.

Hi Ian,
Here's a couple of pics from the recent Summer SOULstice back in June where we used some of Froggy's lovely rig.

Jester.

Ah-ha!thanks guys,yep,that looks like part of it..i would think it was split into several smaller lots....OK what i have here is 17x the ASS 215 bass cabs(the curved-front ones your photo Jester),6x the mids,10x large HF horns,and 6x smaller vhf horns..what i dont have is the double 15 scoop bins (4520`s)...i think those were a later edition,as i cant remember ever seeing those at the Royalty in late 70`s..and probually a bugger to lift as well i imagine....does anyone know who ended-up with the huge Matamp orange console?

I have a promotional picture of Froggy with his curley hair taken at a photo shoot at Pulsar if you want it?
Just email me !

I have an Matamp Stereo SuperNova mixer and a Matamp 4 way Rackmount Crossover unit for sale if you are interested in keeping to the original setup.

Yes,interested if the price is right,can u email me? thanks ian.

We have a Froggy waxwork that would go nicely with your rig, alternatively there are several stuffed Froggy lifesize dolls available at the Oxfam Shop, seven kings. We can also supply some of his old tape machines with the heads missing and his old Volvo without the engine and gearbox.

I have also just found froggys false teeth and a rat infested wig that he used to wear at the Ilford Town Hall.

I will include myself if you want, I don't eat much and I can sleep in your shed.