The Soulpranos Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
need help remembering!!anyone in the surrey area!!

new to this forum,but it seems tghe right place to ask this--someone has recently asked me if i remember a club in the epsom (surrey) area back in the 70's or 80's- i cant think of any!! can anybody help me?

Where U @: london

NIK NAME zen

Re: need help remembering!!anyone in the surrey area!!

Zen back in the early eighties I had the mis-fortune of being transferred by my company to their offices in Epsom for a 6 month stint, which was a bit of a p*ss off for an 18/19 year Essex Soul Boy...although they did put me up all expenses paid in the RAC Hotel!!!. I cant remember any clubs in Epsom (its got to be the most boring place in history) although i do remember going to a bar/wine bar with another Essex Soul Boy (stalwart)..Our Price Paul..in Epsom and seeing one Giles Peterson playing. I think it was about the second time he ever played in public...and I remember he looked about 14 years old...and that was probably the amount of people that was in the bar that night!!!. Anyway cannot for the life of me remember the name of the place, all i can recall is that it was just off Epsom High Street and next to a sandwich shop called Harringtons.

i agree- i never went to any clubs down there? but this friend is convinced there was a club??? any one else?

NIK NAME zen

Hi Zen.

I grew up in Sutton and spent the weekends flitting from Kingston to Streatham and everywhere in between, can't say I can remember one in Epsom but i'll ask some of my old school pals over the weekend and see what they come up with.

Just had a flashback to Clouseau's in Cheam Village! ...Happy days!

Ginger Tony

Hi

sutton eh!

scamps sutton was a decent club in the early to mid 70's
cheam village not familier with?

NIK NAME zen

Cheam Village is a nice little place just by Nonsuch Park on the Cheam Road.

Early to mid 70's is definitely before my time. Think I was still at school on the Roundshaw Estate.

I take it you remember Chick-A-Boom records with the owner who looked like Arthur Baker.

SORRY! MEANT TO SAY MID TO LATE 70'S...USED TO GOT TO SCAMPS SUTTON AROUND 77-79 WASN'T LOCAL THOUGH WE ALL USED TO DRIVE DOWN FROM TOOTING, BALHAM AND STREATHAM SO DIDN'T SHOP FOR RECORDS IN THE AREA...WE USED TO GO DOWN TO TOOTING AND BALHAM

NIK NAME zen

Evening Zen & Ginger. Being an ex-Tooting lad meself don't remember any soul clubs in Epsom but do vaguely recall a place in Purley used run soul of a saturday night and a few all-nighters. Charlie Chans in Streatham, The office in Croydon think there was Scamps in Croydon too. And the record shop next to Tooting tube station not a bad place for choons neither . Cheers.

sorry Zen, i don't recall any clubs in the epsom area, everyone ventured into croydon from epsom and went to places such as doctor jims, scamps, tiffanys, socracheeta in saaaaaf norwood

"Evening Zen & Ginger. Being an ex-Tooting lad meself don't remember any soul clubs in Epsom but do vaguely recall a place in Purley used run soul of a saturday night and a few all-nighters. Charlie Chans in Streatham, The office in Croydon think there was Scamps in Croydon too. And the record shop next to Tooting tube station not a bad place for choons neither . Cheers.
Email: phmullings@aol.com"

calling tooting!!!- your purley club i think you mean was was the famous tiffanys (where the mafia had one of the first alldayers) which then became cinderellas (or is it the other way round- getting old, memory going LOL) but yes scamps in croydon and the one in sutton were great clubs- more commercial end but good times any way- the only place in tooting i recall was the castle pub- the record shop-record corner i think it was called-yere bought loads of tunes there! charlie chans alrite but around 76-78 sunday night in streatham was all about the cats whiskers- i know it was a S&*^t club but honestly around that time before the "disco" boom we loved it

NIK NAME zen

When Tiffs in Purley finished alot of the peeps went to the Driftbridge hotel in Epsom, it was a small place in the basement but played good music.

I can remember Tuesday night Scamps in Sutton, Tiffs in Wimbledon with Steve Walsh on Wednesday,Flicks in Datford on a Thursday, Anywhere on a Friday but the Royalty was good, Goldmine on a Saturday, and Tiffs in Purley on a Sunday.

I used to get my records from Diamond records in Croydon

Good times.

Where U @: Crawley

tony the stacker- remember all those you mention- does any one remember cheeky petes ?

That really rings a bell, but can't place where it was.

Do you still go to any clubs, I go to Caister twice a year and the odd club, but not 6 nights a week, my wife would not have it.

I met my first wife at a Purley alldayer in 1979.

They were great times and I would not change a thing.

cheeky petes was in richmond around 76-78 maybe 79 and it was linked to another club- cant remember the name of it, any way you paid to go to cheeky petes and you walked tyhrough and you were in another club completely - wild times there on saturday nights- school age crowd, wearing jellies and dungarees, and hawaian shirts (there again we were all 16-18-so that was alrite) nowadays- i dont go to any clubs- too old (46) and over weight (to be seen in a club

What an outfit I remember it well, I am 46 and overweight too, but no one judges you at caister and most of the crowd are all in the same boat.

you really should try it.

re: cheeky petes, remember dj's PJB and ray small ???

sorry was a bit to young to even notice DJ in those days, all i remember was the feeling and buzz in that club- it was the place to be in that little neck of souith london for a year or two

Only club / pub I can remember visiting down that way was The Belvedere in Ascot.....

thanks guys for all your help on that one. i think we've established that there wasn't much going on in epsom so i have passed that info onto the fella that was asking me ......although we have opened up another interesting thread on old clubs in our yoith that were not neccasaryly the main mafia clubs but we used to get our fix of fun and tunes etc... any one willing to start that one? i'll throw one out there...."CPH" any one remember or now what i'm talking about?????

Hi Zen.

More of an 80's thing but I remember one of my local nights was at 'The Gap' @ Wallington Town Hall, I'm sure my old school mate Steve Facey was jocking there.

G.T you mention Facey, being a bit younger than most lol,the only thing i can add to this thread was going to the pub / bar opposite wallington / carshalton ponds where Facey used to hold a regular weekend night.
Cant place the name now.
Used to hit Zigis Streatham in the late 80s for a fix of early house, and also a couple of places down the Purley Way, for some more action.

All the best chaps, Mark from Mitcham :)

Where U @: LONDON

NIK NAME MARKY

Hi Marky.

Steve was in my year at Carshalton Boys.
I remember the bar opposite the ponds, can't think what it was called though (did it have the word 'duck' in it?)
Anyway, Yep I was at Zigi's too! Excellent nights they were, along with 'Thank funk it's Friday' at The Cartoon Club in Croydon.
Don't suppose you ever made it to The Mint in Belmont...A very good soul night was held there on Sundays, place used to be rammed!

Sorry I mean't The Mint in Banstead.
Wouldn't get much Soul in the one in Belmont...they turned it into a carvery before I moved!

Yeah we all had some great times around them areas in the late 70's and early 80's.

You always think of Essex club nights as being the best and they were to be honest but in and around south London and Surrey we had some good clubs.

My mates and me used to wear a hole in the road on the A23 coming up from Crawley.

Especially as me and my mate ended up marrying two soul girls from Sutton

Speaking of the A23 Tony, did you ever go down The Game Bird in Horley? We must have passed you heading down from Sutton!

"You always think of Essex club nights as being the best and they were to be honest but in and around south London and Surrey we had some good clubs."

to be honest here and i know the mafia were mostly essex guys...but i really think we were a bit more serious and funkier in south london/ surrey...i dont know some (i say some) of the essex clubs became a bit silly...do you know what i mean? i mean we went to zeor 6 a few times and lacy and other clubs and we used to think it was a bit silly- not about the music so much...more about the silly strings and the beachwear?@!!...i dont mean to cause any controvesy or bring out some london rivalrys...its how we felt at the time!!

by the way sorry about the spelling for the above message....my bad

some great places in surrey back in the day
the camebridge
pantiles
rackstraws (later tuskers)
ragamuffins
agincourt (not sure of spelling)
chris brown worked most of them.

But why did the scene in surrey die such a death by the mid 80's.

Ginger t, never made it to Banstead much, never knew of a nightclub there,used to go to some early housey knees ups at the hotel on brighton road as i say slightly younger then a few on here so prob missed out,saying that used to have some regular all night parties in a flat half way down banstead high street that my mate used to live in, think its a pizza place ther now.... oh the memories :)

NIK NAME marky

1 2