The Soulpranos Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: FROGGY RIP

1979 and I was the original bedroom dj who used to stand at the end of the balcony at the Royalty every week in awe of Froggy and his big old Orange sound system… If ever make it to the pearly gates I’ll put money on hearing Roy Ayers Love will bring us back and Stevie Arrington booming out from the Froggy sound system on the inside. Respect.

Nicky Holloway

I have just uploaded a little portrait of Steve, anyone who wants to please feel free to use it for tributes ect: http://www.musicoflife.com/froggy.jpg

Was totally shellshocked when i got da call fri morn telling me of Steve's passing.I 1st met Steve at a house party he was playing 4 a m8s engagement in 1979 & was just mesmerised by this skinny white fella who could just blend any records we asked 4 seemlessly. We could'nt work out 4 da life of us how he did it!!!Anyways dat started an ongoin pilgrimage 2 da Cranbrook pub & da Venue Ilford,Bentleys,Oscars,Epping Country Club,100 Club,Goldmine,Crackers & Caister..Any1 dat witnesed da Frogster in action would neva 4get it!! & da sound system was AWESOME! He lived life 4 da enjoyment of music in all its forms & touched my soul in particular. Chocking back da tears a i write this but i can only say dat Heaven must b rockin right bout now!! My condolances go out to his family; especially his son Mark. God bless ya Stevie, we'll av a good old kness up 4ya at next Lacy Lady & Caister. CJ da bouncer.

Where U @: Walthamstow London E17

NIK NAME CJ da Bouncer

As Seans roadie, i got to go backstage with all the Djs.
Just before the doors where open to the "Family" at places like, The Top Rank, Reading, Brighton, Southampton etc, etc. Froggy would be there with his "roadies" making adjustments to his sound rig. Big banks of speakers, amps, graphics, decks and mixing desk, everything had to be, and sound, right.
I would like to think that when the doors open to the rest of us, "the Family" to the 'Big Gig' up stairs,you know the sound will be "out of this world" R.I.P. Mr Kenwood.
Stay safe. R"tr"

As Sean's Roadie, i get togo backstage at most of the big gigs, weekenders, sunday alldayers, etc.
Whenever we were doing gigs like, The Top Rank at Reading, Brighton, Southampton, before the doors where open to the 'Family', i would see Froggy with his roadies making fine adjustments to his sound rig.
Big banks of speakers, amps, graphic and the bit we all see, the deck unit. Everything had to be, and sound right.
I would like to think that Froggy is getting "the sound" right for us the 'Family' when we get called to the Big Gig up stairs. R.I.P. Mr Kenwood.
Stay safe, R"tr"

Shep,if you find out any info of when froggy's funeral is could you please post details on the forum,i for one would like to pay my respects to the man.

R.I.P. FROGGY
MY CONDOLENCES TO YOUR FAMILY N FRIENDS.

MANY GREAT MEMORIES AS A SCHOOL BOY GOIN ROYALTY IN SOUTHGATE AVIN IT TO THE FROGGY MONSTER SOUNDSYSTEM.
THE SELECTION N DELIVERY WERE BANG ON POINT!
TRUE LEGEND N PIONEER, THE LEGACY SHOULD BE NEVER FORGOTTEN YOU PAVED THE WAY FOR MANY LOVERS OF GOOD MUSIC BLENDED SO SWEETLY!
ONELOVE N BLESSINGZ
@ndyCam

Where U @: West London Original Hackney Boy :o)

NIK NAME @ndyCam-Flare-Shepherdz Pi

I’ve been away for the past week. I had a text whilst I was away, and I was shocked to hear the awful news, about Froggy.
I first saw Froggy at the Royalty in Southgate in 1980, then Caister, and my
personal favourite club of his (and one of my top five favourite clubs ever) Rappers at the Epping Forest Country Club in 1981-84, ably supported on the decks by my friend Eddy James. It was truly brilliant, and I had withdrawal symptoms on the very few occasions I missed it. I remember once the car breaking down, and still WALKING to the venue from George Lane, South Woodford. Anyone who knows the area will know how long a distance that is!! I also remember the nights at Temple Mills in Leyton, The Regency Suite in Chadwell Heath and The Royal Standard in Walthamstow.
Later, he went on to create the very successful nights at Bentleys with a mid week road block!
He truly bought New York P’zazz to the South East as a disciple of the Paradise Garage’s Larry Levan, with some of the very best Jazz Funk Soul, Disco and all round boogie tunes. I also remember his short updates on Radio One alongside Pete Tong, on the Peter Powell show, at a time when there was zero national radio coverage of our music (except of course on long wave with Radio Luxembourg).
My condolences to all his Family and Friends and particularly to Frostie, who I have had many discussions with over the years, with virtually everyone of those discussions mentioning Froggy!
Froggy, Rest in Peace. Neville

Froggy,

You were so entertaining both behind and in front of the decks. My best memories of Caister include your main room sets.

You are well loved, and it is well deserved.

Oz.

NIK NAME Ozzie

our family friend will be missed dearly,but will be thought of often,RIP my friend..

Managed to find an old tape from the 80's of Froggy on pirate station JFM. Theres only 40mins of it but I thought some of you here would be interested in hearing it. I went to the first few Caisters and always admired Froggy. He'll be sadly missed by many many ageing soul boys and DJs, particularly in London and The South East.
A true innovator. FROGGY RIP.

You can download an mp3 of the show here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/iwheig

NIK NAME appyammer al

he was the "true master", an inspiration to me and many of my friends, the main catalist that turned a few of us to the world of DJ'ing. memories of spending many a weekend and a bank holiday following the sound system to hear the magic, as near as north london and essex and as far as exeter, brighton and bournemouth. i will no doubt shed a tear when he's finaly put to rest on friday but the memories will live on.
i hope he keeps the wheels of steel turning and the b-line thumping until i get there.

mark, deebie, glen and the boys

Where U @: north london

NIK NAME mark k

Gutted to have heard the news. My experience of listening to Froggy was at Caiser in the early days & on the radio. An absolute legend. My thoughts are with his friends and family. My you rest easy in that mixing palace in the sky.....x

NIK NAME Angela Colosi (nee King)

god bless mate

FROGGY RIP

From Pete Tong (copied from his website)

"Great sadness to hear that the soul mafia dj Froggy pased away on 28th March. Froggy (Steve Howlett) was a major influence on my early days. Credited as being the man who introduced and promoted the art of mixing to the UK after an early visit to NYC and witnessing Larry Levan at the Paradise Garage and the residents at Studio 54. Froggy also significantly raised the standards of Dj equipment and sound systems in clubs up and down the country, for this we should all be grateful! I was lucky enough to buy an Orange/Matt Amp rig from him in the early days, and he was always on hand to help out and advise. Froggy was also influential with Radio 1 back in the day, appearing on Peter Powells drive time show in 1979/80.. to introduce the nation to the hottest tunes. He was still active nearly 30 years later appearing at The Caister Soul Weekenders, local radio and many parties around London and the home counties......... Rest in peace."

Amongst the many mourners at Froggys service,it was great to see so many of those "old" faces who knew him and worked along side him back in his heyday.

Some of us "oldies" in attendance included
JEFF YOUNG, NICKY PECK,IAN READING,TOM HOLLAND ,BROTHER LOUIE,KEV HILL,BRIAN RIX,MIKE KEAM,JOHNNY WRIGHT,EDDY JAMES,SEAN FRENCH,CHRIS BROWN,KENNY WELLINGTON,BLUEY MAUNICK,SNOWBOY,IAN DEWHIRST, ED STOKES,TONY MONSON,EDDY GORDON and many old members of his famous "Road Crew",to name just a few.Those who could not attend,but sent their condolences also included...
PETE TONG,NICKY HOLLOWAY,ADRIAN WEBB,BOB MASTERS,ROBBIE VINCENT,GREG EDWARDS.

If I've missed you off,its not personal,its old age.
CHRIS HILL

The Guardian newspaper carried an obituary for Steve today. Here is the online link

http://music.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/story/0,,2273414,00.html

Where U @: www.starpointradio.com

1 2