The Soulpranos Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jazz, blues organist Jimmy McGriff dies at 72

Jazz, blues organist Jimmy McGriff dies at 72,
4 days ago.

PHILADELPHIA — Longtime jazz and blues organist Jimmy McGriff, known for his 1960s recordings of "I've Got a Woman" and "All About My Girl," has died. He was 72.

McGriff's death on Saturday from multiple sclerosis was confirmed to The Associated Press on Monday by his wife, Margaret McGriff. At the time of his death, McGriff lived in the Philadelphia suburb of Voorhees, New Jersey.

According to his website, James Harrel McGriff was born in Philadelphia's Germantown neighborhood. His parents were both pianists, but McGriff started out on bass and saxophone and later played drums, vibes, and piano.

He served as a military policeman during the Korean War and spent 2½ years as a Philadelphia policeman, moonlighting as a bass player, according to the site. He was offered a recording contract after a scout heard him play "I Got A Woman" at a small club in Trenton, New Jersey.

That song on Sue Records became one of McGriff's greatest hits, and he also recorded for Solid State, United Artists, Blue Note, Groove Merchant, Milestone, Headfirst and Telarc.

Re: Jazz, blues organist Jimmy McGriff dies at 72

Sad news Chris. I love his Jazzy Disco track "Tailgunner". R.I P Jimmy, God Bless

Where U @: www.starpointradio.com

Re: Jazz, blues organist Jimmy McGriff dies at 72

BOLLOX!!!!!

Where U @: THE LOFT