Return to Website

Motorcycle forum

We are the Lone Star Voyagers a chapter of the American Voyager Association. This open forum is for the members and guest of the LSV-AVA. Please feel free to use this service. Remember this is a family riding chapter.

Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Well, RATS!!!

Well, times change...I took the Grey Lady (my '03 Voyager) to the dealer this morning to have them check some issues I was having, namely-poor gas mileage, running rich (especially at idle), a tweaked front end (that was supposed to have been fixed by my friend), poor front brake performance (contaminated pads), and leaking fork seals. I got the results of the check this afternoon at about 5:30, and had to have a friend drive me home. My cylinders are all between 165 and 170, except for #3 which is at 105. The carbs were loose and in some cases the manifold boots were not properly tightened. The service manager gave me an estimate, and the total (parts and labor) comes to $4000.00. I am having the carbs and the front end done so I can at least ride her (and, incidentally, make it to the HCT) but I am not 'made of money', and do not have a clue where to go from here. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, and I am wondering if anyone knows how much it would cost for me to ship my bike to Florida to have Mr. Leo look at it? Everyone have a Great Evening!
See you at the HCT.

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank, the Grey Lady, & Lil'Putt

Re: Well, RATS!!!

If you really want a Voyager, it's time to think about parting yours out and using the money to buy one in good condition. I wouldn't advise spending $4000 to repair a bike that might be worth $3500 after it's fixed. I don't know what it would cost to ship to Carl but it's probably not cheap. Before looking into shipping, I'd contact Carl and find out if he thinks he can fix it and what it might cost.

I agree with Pathfinder. I would not spend $4000 on your XII. Sadly, I think your mechanic probably didn't really know about Voyagers. Not very many people do. If you were closer, I would take look at it. Your poor performance? is probably due to the boots between the carbs and motor. That would be a large part of your problem. If they are not tight, air leaks into the cylinders not thru the carbs. An easy way to test is to start your bike, spray WD40 on the conections between the boots and carbs and motor. If the motor revs then you have an air leak. Tigthening the boots is not hard. If the problem is on the intake side of the carbs, its a little difficult to get the boots on but a little patience will make the day. Brakes should not be a problem. You should be able to do them. I don't understand the problem w/the forks. If you haven't talked to Carl Leo, that is where I would go. When I had problems w/my XII, he was the first stop. Call me if I can help.

I agree with Pathfinder. I would not spend $4000 on your XII. Sadly, I think your mechanic probably didn't really know about Voyagers. Not very many people do. If you were closer, I would take look at it. Your poor performance? is probably due to the boots between the carbs and motor. That would be a large part of your problem. If they are not tight, air leaks into the cylinders not thru the carbs. An easy way to test is to start your bike, spray WD40 on the conections between the boots and carbs and motor. If the motor revs then you have an air leak. Tigthening the boots is not hard. If the problem is on the intake side of the carbs, its a little difficult to get the boots on but a little patience will make the day. Brakes should not be a problem. You should be able to do them. I don't understand the problem w/the forks. If you haven't talked to Carl Leo, that is where I would go. When I had problems w/my XII, he was the first stop. Call me if I can help.

That carb arrangement with rubber boots on the Voyager was common all Japanese inline fours of the time so there's no excuse for a mechanic not getting the boots on correctly. Unfortunately, if the boots between the air cleaner and carbs is not on correctly, a lot of unfiltered air can get run through the engine. This could possibly be the cause of the low compression on one cylinder although there are other possible causes. Are you sure the "fork problem" is really the forks and not a bent frame? I agree with DeapSea regarding Carl Leo.

Gentlemen, thank you for your help. I plan on returning to the dealer tomorrow, and asking him if the $98.00 that I currently owe him for taking my bike apart includes him putting it back together. If it does not, I plan on picking it up, and trailering it over to my friends' place. I had a long telephone conversation with my friend Friday after I got home from the dealer, and we discussed the issue of the lack of quality in the work from his shop. He was very apologetic and asked me to bring the bike to him, and he would make it right. Meanwhile, I talked to the dealer Saturday, and he wants ANOTHER $4000.00 to rebuild my carbs!! Needless to say, I was very upset. I am wondering what these guys have been mainlining. I plan on picking up the bike, taking it to my friend, and getting ahold of Mr. Leo, and asking him what it would cost me to have him ship me a used engine. I'll update youall Tuesday evening or Wednesday.
Have a Great evening!

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank, the Grey Lady, & 'lil'putt'

P.S. to PF:I THINK the frame is OK. The only major accident H have had on the bike was a 'sideswipe' which resulted in the bike (and myself) sliding down the road for about 100 yards from the point of impact. To my knowledge, there have been no front-end impacts that would have affected the frame. I will have it checked, however. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gentlemen, thank you for your help. I plan on returning to the dealer tomorrow, and asking him if the $98.00 that I currently owe him for taking my bike apart includes him putting it back together. If it does not, I plan on picking it up, and trailering it over to my friends' place. I had a long telephone conversation with my friend Friday after I got home from the dealer, and we discussed the issue of the lack of quality in the work from his shop. He was very apologetic and asked me to bring the bike to him, and he would make it right. Meanwhile, I talked to the dealer Saturday, and he wants ANOTHER $4000.00 to rebuild my carbs!! Needless to say, I was very upset. I am wondering what these guys have been mainlining. I plan on picking up the bike, taking it to my friend, and getting ahold of Mr. Leo, and asking him what it would cost me to have him ship me a used engine. I'll update youall Tuesday evening or Wednesday

$4000.00 for a carb rebuild? That's roughly an order of magnitude too high. Did they give you a breakdown on parts and labor?

What exactly is wrong with the front end? A drop and slide shouldn't have caused anything other than cosmetic damage unless that included impacting something.

A used engine from Carl probably won't include carbs. However, anyone capable of swapping engines should be able to swap carbs.

I don't remember how much it cost rebuilding my carbs from Mr Leo but it wasn't over $400 and that included shipping, carb kits and various other things. I don't know any mechanics in the NM but you need to find someone that knows and understand Voyagers.

DeepSea
I don't remember how much it cost rebuilding my carbs from Mr Leo but it wasn't over $400 and that included shipping, carb kits and various other things. I don't know any mechanics in the NM but you need to find someone that knows and understand Voyagers.

Removing and replacing the carbs is a big part of the labor in a rebuild. That's one reason Carl is cheaper. Other than two drain plugs and hydraulic lifters, the XII wasn't much different from the other Japanese inline fours of its day but many current mechanics aren't familiar with bikes that old. I'd still like to see an itemized list detailing what parts and labor the shop planned.

I picked up the bike yesterday and took it over to my friend. According to the estimate I received from them, they were charging me for a compete new set of carbs ($2600.00) Apparently, they do not believe that an engine with over 100,000 miles should show any wear on the carb body or the sliders. That is their reasoning for the new set of carbs. My friend is going to do a wet/dry compression test on the #2 cylinder (the one with low compression) to see if it is a valve or the rings (I think it is a valve-I have been hearing noises.) I do intend to contact Carl Leo and talk to him. We will see what happens with that. I'll see youall at the HCT (even if I have to ride the Honda!)

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank, Lil'Putt, & the Grey Lady (back in the hospital)

Hank S.
I picked up the bike yesterday and took it over to my friend. According to the estimate I received from them, they were charging me for a compete new set of carbs ($2600.00) Apparently, they do not believe that an engine with over 100,000 miles should show any wear on the carb body or the sliders. That is their reasoning for the new set of carbs. My friend is going to do a wet/dry compression test on the #2 cylinder (the one with low compression) to see if it is a valve or the rings (I think it is a valve-I have been hearing noises.) I do intend to contact Carl Leo and talk to him. We will see what happens with that. I'll see youall at the HCT (even if I have to ride the Honda!)

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank, Lil'Putt, & the Grey Lady (back in the hospital)

The shop is correct that the carb bodies and slides shouldn't show a loot of wear. If the carbs are shot, I'm sure Carl has a good set of used carbs. If you've been hearing a tapping noise, that could be a stuck lifter but that doesn't usually result in low compression.

I don't know if I would trust the shop or the service manager because of their estimate. It sounds like they were trying to sell you another bike or not wanting to work on yours. I agree w/Pathfinder about carbs from Carl Leo. Send yours to him and let him look at them. He would know if they need to be changed.

I don't really have anything to add except by my posting here, it makes this thread one week long!

Hank a reference by PF about your frame lit my idea about my accident. When the bike was here and I was rebuilding it I checked the frame. On the lower right side is a frame piece that is removed so the engine can be removed. I found that that piece was loose. I tightened the bolts after checking the straightness of the frame. I would check the piece on your bike for sure. Carbs can be rebuilt and cleaned cheaply if the jets are not eaten up with the ethanol gas, mine was, and need replacing. Diaphragms also need checking for leaks around the cap sealing area. Use black weather stripping silicone for repairing. I can rebuild the carbs if you cannot find anyone else. I won't charge a arm and leg for the effort. When reinstalling use a hair dryer to soften the boots prior to installation with some silicone grease on the carbs.
My two cents worth. I have been lurking for some time.

Speedball
Glad you are here to keep things going. You are definitely earning your pay. I imagine it makes you feel like you have accomplished something doing this.
And now here we are over a week long for the thread.
Went for a ride Friday to see my brother in Spring Branch. And while I was there had a hamburger at Beefy's On The Green. Was very tasty.
Yall have a great day.

RR