Return to Website

Motorcycle forum

We are the Lone Star Voyagers a chapter of the American Voyager Association. This open forum is for the members and guest of the LSV-AVA. Please feel free to use this service. Remember this is a family riding chapter.

Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
A Choice I Do Not Want To Make...

Hey, Gang;
I know that it's been awhile since I've posted, and I apologise. I just returned home from a 4-day stint in a local hospital, after an incident while I was out walking about 3 weeks ago. I saw my doctor the next day who referred me to a cardiologist, who placed me in the hospital for 'observation and testing'. They did a CT scan of my lungs, an ultra sound of my heart and my left leg, and did a bunch of blood tests. They found a large blood clot in both of my lungs, one in the vein where it branches off to feed the lungs, and a couple of smaller ones in my left leg. I am now on a 'lifetime' anti-coagulant, and I am (lightly) exercising to get my strength back. Here is the dilemma...I am thinking of selling both bikes and hanging up my helmet. I do not want to do this, but it is something I have to consider.
So, the question...Do any of you know of someone that still rides with health issues of this type? I know that riding can be a 'calculated risk', and I'm ok with that. I just don't want to be riding with a group some day, black out on my bike, and wind up causing an accident that involves a bunch of other riders. I'd like input from you gentlemen concerning this issue, and I covet your thoughts. Thank You.

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank, the 'Grey Lady', and the Crimson Rocket.

Re: A Choice I Do Not Want To Make...

Hank, I am sorry to hear of the troubles you are having. Sadly enough, as we get older, some of the things we love to do we can't any longer. That said, I would not make a decision right now. Give yourself time to heal and maybe get a little stronger then decide. Whether to continue riding or not is really a personal decision. If you feel unsafe then it's better to move on to other adventures. I would not be selling now because riding season is for most part is over so you have until spring to make a decision. Whether you ride or not, you are always welcome anytime.. Get Well!!

Re: A Choice I Do Not Want To Make...

I don't have an answer to your query: "Do any of you know of someone that still rides with health issues of this type?"
But I will say that my thoughts are with you & that what DeepSea has posted makes sense to me. Gettin' old ain't for sissies.