Return to Website

Motorcycle forum

We are the Lone Star Voyagers a chapter of the American Voyager Association. This open forum is for the members and guest of the LSV-AVA. Please feel free to use this service. Remember this is a family riding chapter.

Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: That coolant smell

Hello RR! By your description I'm guessing it's a crack in the block? It is aluminum I assume? There are aluminum welding rods that only need a small hand torch to melt them and do repairs. I have seen them at Harbor Freight but any welding supply should have them. Youtube has a lot of videos, just look up aluminum hole repair. These explain do's and don'ts. looks really easy? I have watched aluminum boats repaired. One repair was to a large cooking pot. So it seems to stand up to cooking temperatures. Just my 2 cents! You may know more than I do about this already. Not sure it's of any help.
JU from Marlin

Guess I should have been more specific. The leak was in the radiator. I knew exactly what I meant. The JB Weld is holding just fine after several rides getting the bike up to operating temp.
I patched the leak and went for a ride with the plastic off in case I needed to do something else. After a successful couple rides I put the plastic black on. I had the windscreen off and it is surprising how much I have gotten used to the windscreen. Even though I ride with it on the lowest position most of the time. Just to get air on me.
Yall have a great day.

RR

Hi, RR!
That definitely changes things. I thought it was in your engine block. I am glad the JB Weld id holding, and I hope to see you down the road!
Ride safe & sane,
Hank S.

HankinNM
Hi, RR!
That definitely changes things. I thought it was in your engine block. I am glad the JB Weld id holding, and I hope to see you down the road!
Ride safe & sane,
Hank S.
I know a BMW rider who poked a hole in his crankcase while crossing a river in Baja. He cleaned the case and patched it with JB Weld. It's still holding thousands of miles later. I've since learned that there are two versions of JB Weld, the regular kind and a high temperature version. The regular supposedly will melt at high temperatures.

Pathfinder
HankinNM
Hi, RR!
Ride safe & sane,
Hank S.
I know a BMW rider who poked a hole in his crankcase while crossing a river in Baja. He cleaned the case and patched it with JB Weld. It\'s still holding thousands of miles later. I\'ve since learned that there are two versions of JB Weld, the regular kind and a high temperature version. The regular supposedly will melt at high temperatures.
I didn't realize there was a High Temp JB Wield either. But I did look it up, cool. It's called High Heat. Claims 600 PSI at 400 deg F. Continuous heat up to 450 deg F! Just if anybody cares, LOL! I'm a JB Wield fan.