Return to Website

Motorcycle forum

We are the Lone Star Voyagers a chapter of the American Voyager Association. This open forum is for the members and guest of the LSV-AVA. Please feel free to use this service. Remember this is a family riding chapter.

Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: David and Sheila Lawson accident

Got to the hospital today and Sheila was bright eyed. Said she had a good night's sleep and felt refreshed. Ready for her exercises. Moving both knees well. Her attitude and appetite are very good. Moving forward.

Update on David and Sheila Lawson

For everyone that has been following Sheila and I after our accident. I banged my right knee up. Not enough to require surgery but will probably be in a brace for some months. A few observations. The simple joy of putting on both socks is a huge step. Leather gloves are a must being on a walker. The grips on walkers will eat your hands.
For Sheila, she has a right broken femur and a left broken taiba. Both have been repaired with rods. She has a boot on her left leg and will be able to walk on it. No pressure on her right leg for many months. Sheila is improving every day. Motion, ice and elevation are important for recovery. Any motion helps reduce pain. Any motion. Ice reduces the swelling and elevation gets the fluids moving.
Last, accept help. Don't take away someone's blessing by refusing their help. Don't be stubborn and do it yourself. You can't. Thank you, again

Re: Update on David and Sheila Lawson

Good news, Sheila has been accepted into the acute rehab center in the hospital. She will be in the Sticht center. Her insurance decided to pay for her 2 week stay. Rm 363. Her spirits are up and looking forward to getting better.

Much better today. In therapy at the Sticht rehab center. We have a plan and working the plan. Therapy for 7 to 10 days then evaluate. Thank you for your prayers.

Hi, David & Sheila,
I am thankful that your accident was not any worse than it was, although a broken tibia is nothing to minimise. Sheila has the heart of a warrior, and Her positive attitude is her biggest asset. Bet ya she heals much faster than normal.
You are both in my prayers.
Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank S.

Sheila is doing much better today. Set up on the side of the bed. Transferred to a chair with less pain than yesterday. Transferred back. Rested but didn't nap. Moving her legs and ready for the next step. Wheelchair.

Sheila is much better today. Transferred today to a wheelchair and we made a tour of the rehab floor. She was in the chair almost an hour. She had to scoot into the chair. Tomorrow maybe she will stand and transfer.

Thanks David for these daily updates. It helps knowing specifically what to pray for.

Sheila had a good day yesterday. Wore herself out doing too much. Good news, therapists think she will improved enough to be discharged. Don't have a plan on what to do next. How to get home or stay here but working on it. Thank you for your prayers and cards. They have really lifted us.

Thanks, Bob. Healing for Sheila's knees and left lower taiba. Rods in both legs thru her knees. Right side from the knee to the hip and left from the knee to almost her ankle. Me, a fractured upper taiba, at the knee.

Sheila is better every day. Text me this morning at 7.30 she was up, dressed, eaten breakfast and in her wheelchair ready to go to therapy. Working on getting her left leg stronger so she can support herself. She is amazing when she sets her mind to it.

Scheduled discharge date is Jun 25th. We are looking at either ground or air transport back to Marlin that day or the day after. Sheila is better every day. Stood a couple of times yesterday. Stronger every day.

That's so good to hear David. Our prayers continue.
Bob

Sheila is doing really well. Had several hours of PT and OT. She is getting stronger. Stood on her left leg and took a couple of steps. Her left leg is growing stronger every day. I think she will come home in a wheelchair, not walker. Looking like ground transport to Marlin. Ins says air is too expensive. I think we are ready no matter what. I am better. My knee is not as swollen. Still be wearing a brace. Better every day.

That's really good news. Hang in there you two.

So, we have some not so good news and some really good news. Not so good. Sheila's insurance has denied air transport because it's not a medical emergency. We were hoping they would but not today. Really good news, we have been in contact with an air transport company and the cost is less than originally thought. So through many generous people and money we have saved, we should be coming home this Friday or Monday depending on paperwork. We are just waiting on a final number and when. Thank you so much for your prayers, cards and support here and at home.

We made it home!! Got here about 10p. Got Sheila settled in her bed in the living room. Sorted some things then to bed. Today starts a day of learning how to live with my bum knee and her legs. It is really nice to be home and sleep in your own bed. Thank you to everyone that made this possible

So now we have been a full week at home. Do miss the trees and cooler temps in NC but love being home. Thank you to everyone who helped last Friday night. We have Sheila's OT, PT and home health set up. They are all surprised how well Sheila is doing. We have been getting routines set up. Now, we have to plan trips from one end of the house to the other. With lots of patience and some help, we are getting it done. Thank you everyone for your help.

We have been praying for you guys from the day we first heard about it so we will continue to pray for you and Sheila
We love you guys and I know the good LORD is watching over you and Sheila.