Return to Website

Motorcycle forum

We are the Lone Star Voyagers a chapter of the American Voyager Association. This open forum is for the members and guest of the LSV-AVA. Please feel free to use this service. Remember this is a family riding chapter.

Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Back Home

Got back home from Raton NM last Tuesday, the last day of a trip covering 7300 miles and lasting almost four weeks. I left home on June 1st headed to Eldorado WI to visit relatives and in-laws for about a week. Judy's and my niece had flown into Austin with her son a couple of days before and was helping Judy drive up to Wisconsin for an extended visit. I met up with them at a motel on Popular Bluff MO fro the night and then we took separate routes to Wisconsin the following day before meeting p again at our destination.

June 10th, I headed southwest to Prairie Du Chien for three days of riding sponsored by a member of an internet motorcycle forum I frequent. For those not familiar with the area, southwest Wisconsin and the adjacent areas of Iowa, Minnesota, and Illinois is loaded with hills and river bluffs because it escaped the flattening effects of glaciation during the last ice age and is characterized by steep forested ridges and deeply carved river valleys. This results in some great motorcycle roads. After three days of riding, I headed southwest to Springfield MO for the AVA rally. For anyone interested, next year's rally is going to be in Flagstaff NM. Springfield is on the edge of the northern Ozarks which also provides some great riding. I then headed back to Wisconsin for a couple of days before heading to the BMW MOA rally.

The Monday before the MOA rally, I headed west and spent that night in Kadoka SD, a bit east of Rapid City. Tuesday morning, I rode the Badlands Scenic Loop before continuing on through Rapid City traffic and meeting up with a fellow rider from Austin in Custer SD, The Badlands loop was definitely worthwhile with some very unique scenery. Our prime objective for the day was to ride US 14A between Sheridan and Powell and we weren't disappointed. The road climbed and curved before eventually beginning a sharp descent into the desert below. On the way down, we encountered a slow moving pickup truck with its hazard lights flashing. We then discovered that a small herd of cattle was being herded down the road.

The next day. we rode Chief Joseph and Beartooth highways on our way to Great Falls. Both roads lived up to their reputation. We arrived Wednesday afternoon at the rally and got our tents set up. I met a few people from the San Antonio BMW Riders club but never did see anyone from the Austin club. My friend left Friday and by Friday night, I had had enough of the rally. I left Saturday morning and spent the night in Riverton WY after riding the Wind River Canyon during one of the few bits of sunshine I experienced.

The next day, I went down to Rock Springs and rode US 191 into Vernal UT. This road is mountainous and provides some good views of Flaming Gorge. I spent the night in a KOA teepee near Glenwood springs. From there I rode down through Paonia to US 50 via CO 133 and CO 92. US 50 was a nightmare of traffic which eased some after hitting Salida. I was happy to leave 50 behind at Texas City where I picked up CO 69 which provided pleasant riding down to Wallenburg and I25 which took me down to Raton. I made it home the following day.

Re: Back Home

Looks like it was a good month. Nice rides.
Welcome back home.

I believe you mean Flagstaff, Az. Glad you're back home safely.

Yes, I meant AZ.

Wait! There's a Flagstaff in AZ also?