Return to Website

Motorcycle forum

We are the Lone Star Voyagers a chapter of the American Voyager Association. This open forum is for the members and guest of the LSV-AVA. Please feel free to use this service. Remember this is a family riding chapter.

Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
David & Sheila Rapid City Trip

For everyone that doesn't know, Sheila & I did a road trip to Rapid City the end of August. Didn't have to be back in Tx until the 20th of Sept. We were tired of the hot weather in Tx and wanted a little cooler weather so decided to see Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, thru Colorado, NM to see brother Harold, then head home but pick up some more Grand Tour of Tx photos. Went on our new to us 2012 Can Am Spyder RT Limited. Well, really didn't turn out exactly as we had planned. We ride mostly back roads and that was fun. Stopped in Lawton to visit the Wichita Mountains. Beautiful place if you haven't been there. Watch for the buffalo. While in Lawton, had a small fire or so we thought. More on that later. Made it thru Kansas & Nebraska. We will try to never go thru Kansas again. Nebraska wasn't better but we did meet some interesting people there. Made it to Rapid City but the Spyder kept running rougher every day. Next day we went to Mt Rushmore and rode to roads there. Almost no one was there after Sturgis. It was really nice. The next day the Spyder was running so bad took it into the dealer in Rapid City. Mechanic took off the Tupperware and discovered most of the wiring harness had been burned. Showed it to me and we decided to have in insurance look into it. Took 4 days for the insurance to decide it was totaled. During that time, we rented a car and visited Devil's Tower. All thru this, it was NOT cooler. Several days of 95 to 100 degrees. We had been looking at a 2020 Spyder RT Limited while waiting for the insurance. Rode it and a 2019. There is so much difference between the 2. Bought the 2020 Spyder RT Limited. Continued our trip and had planned to Yellowstone but the smoke from the fires in Washington and Oregon was so bad, decided to go to Colorado. Still almost 100. It was hot. Colorado cooled down, Several days in the 60's and rain. Got soaked because we put our rainsuits on too late. Into NM, only time we used the interstate was from Santa Fe to Socorro then thru the Valley of Fires and spent the night in Capitan. We were going to go to Ruidoso but the friends we were to meet didn't go so we headed to Lovington to visit with my brother. He rode the Spyder and was impressed. Next day we went to Lubbock and got rained on, rained on.. Spent the night in Odessa with my sister and Brother-in-Law, Jerry and Kay. Jerry rode the Spyder also and was impressed. Took the long way home thru Paris then home. About 3500 miles. Tired but we had fun and Sheila is ready to go again. Hope you enjoyed our trip. D&S

Re: David & Sheila Rapid City Trip

Thanks for the report. We were there in 2007? for the AVA rally, and it was very nice. I would like to go back again someday.
Bob

Re: David & Sheila Rapid City Trip

We will probably go back next year a couple weeks b4 Sturgis to a trike rally. Might be fewer bikes there.