Return to Website

Motorcycle forum

We are the Lone Star Voyagers a chapter of the American Voyager Association. This open forum is for the members and guest of the LSV-AVA. Please feel free to use this service. Remember this is a family riding chapter.

Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re:New Battery

The battery light on the Voyager is for battery fluid level. Check that all the cells in the battery are at the proper level and add water if necessary. Relying on the battery level indicator is not a good idea. I've seen cases where the level of the cell with the indicator probe was OK but other cells were way below the lower limit. Unfortunately, running a battery at very low water levels can shorten its life.

Re: Re: Re:New Battery

Regardless, I'm gonna put the tender on the battery once a week to see if I can get it to last more than 2 years! I figure an AGM battery should last longer.

Re: Re: Re:New Battery

I now have had my battery on a 2amp charge for over 3 hours. I put my battery tender on and the light is red (charging), not green (charged or storage) as expected.

Is this normal? Or, is the lumination of a red or green light "vague" as far as the status of the battery?

Who knows?

Re: Re: Re: Re:New Battery

Hey, MM;
Have you checked the voltage of the battery with a VOM? Some batteries are bad right out of the box.
If the voltage is below 8 or 9, an automatic charger (like the Battery Tender) will not charge it. This doesn't mean the battery is bad, it just means the voltage is low. Use a manual charger (an old-style one that has some sort of timer on it that you set), and charge it for a couple of hours, then check the voltage. If it's over 10 or 11 volts, put the battery tender on it to finish the charge. If it isn't, put the manual charger back on it for a couple of more hours. HINT: put your meter across the battery poles before you shut off the manual charger, and watch what your meter does when you shut off the manual charger. If you get a rapid voltage drop of more than 2-2.5 volts, then chances are there is a shorted cell and the battery is bad. Even partially charged, a good battery will drop less than 1.5 volts when you shut off the charger (this is called 'surface charge' , and a 1 volt or less drop is normal) If it checks good, just connect the battery tender, and let it finish the job. (NOTE: an 'automotive style' battery checker will not work accurately on a small motorcycle battery.)
Good Luck!!

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank & 'Rusty'

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:New Battery

Let me give that a try tomorrow. Thanks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:New Battery

Yeah, what Hank said- I had a glass mat sealed batty bad out of the box; that is it didn't last 6 weeks. Wish I'd kept the paper work on it