Return to Website

Motorcycle forum

We are the Lone Star Voyagers a chapter of the American Voyager Association. This open forum is for the members and guest of the LSV-AVA. Please feel free to use this service. Remember this is a family riding chapter.

Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CB

I returned the CB that I purchased in BGK. Then I took the 'old' CB to the local CB shop. It was just a loose connection in the mic cord. No charge for the solder job . I'm back on the air waves!

The shop guy told me that the antenna is tuned to the bike, not to the CB. Once tuned, the antenna can be used with any CB! FYI.

Re: CB

I doubt that! Then why did we have to cut 6 inches of copper wire off your antenna to SWR it when we were at the CB shop in Podunk Arkansas?

CB

swr's tune the antenna to the radio--not the bike. You were fed some misinformation. That being said, I very seldom had to readjust my antenna when switching out solid state cb's. I also had three tube-type radios at different points in time. The antennas had to be changed every time with them (I can't explain why).

--BNS

Re: Re: CB

The CB guy didn't have an answer for that question...espescially since he set the SWR 3 years ago.

I think Bruce is right. The CB & antenna have to be tuned to each other. I need to check around some more. He also said the antenna can't be retuned to the longer length once cut.

CB

I'm not sure how the antenna is loaded, but if it is too short, you may be able to put a washer or two under the nut where the antenna screws into the base. Make sure they are stainless.

It doesn't matter how many times you cut it, it will stil be too short.

Re: CB

Dang! I didn't know that......

Re: Re: CB

Re: Re: Re: CB

When I mess with setting SWR,using a Firestick-type antenna, in the fine tuning part, I can easily move the ratio back & forth by uncoiling the wire or re-coiling it. So sensitive and adjustable in fact, that I have to anticipate the final reading before I put the rubber cover over the tip 'cause that act also affects fine tuning. I also believe that you can re-lengthen the antenna by splicing the surgically-removed 6" of wire back onto the antenna. Of course, my business is not enhanced by selling you another antenna mast.

Re: Re: Re: Re: CB

Bring that SWR meter to Sci/Co or VH with you. We'll check it. I'll appreciate it.

I've now heard so many different opinions, I'm confused.........I know, you don't think that's any different from normal.