Return to Website

Motorcycle forum

We are the Lone Star Voyagers a chapter of the American Voyager Association. This open forum is for the members and guest of the LSV-AVA. Please feel free to use this service. Remember this is a family riding chapter.

Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Butterflies and Hill Country circumnavigation

Looks like the butterfly migration has started. When I left for a ride yesterday morning the RT was nice and clean. When I returned home almost 500 miles later, the bike was covered with splattered butterflies. Since the forecast was for slightly milder temperatures and Judy was out-of-town at a wedding, I thought wiould be a god day to ride RR674 from Bracketville to Rocksprings.

My rider took me to the western fringe of the Hill Country on a route that roughly circled the it.I headed for Medina via Blanco, Comfort and Center Point. At Medina, I took RR337 west through Leakey to Camp Wood. From there I headed south on TX55 to RR334 and went west. After making the tiurn on to 334, it becomes obvious that you're not in the Hill Country anymore. The terain and vegitation begin to resemble west Texas and it's borderline desert by the time you reach Bracketville, I had encountered a few butterflies near Camp Wood but it was on 334 that I encountered the swarms of them - they seemed as numerous as rain drops during a heavy rain. At Bracketville, I headed north on RR674 with plenty of butterfies still present. Further north past Alamo Village,the hills started coming into view ahead.After a couple sets of S curves with a noticeable upward incline, the road begain to climb the side of a steep hill in a series of curves. Below, on the right(east), was the west fork of the Nueces River. I stopped at an overlook to enjoy the view which was a beautiful panorama to the east and south. By now, the butterfly invasion had subsided. The next 20 miles or so was especially enjoyable as the road provided nice scenery and plenty of gentle curves. Just south of Rocksprings, I picked up US377 and took it north to Junction. US377 is another nice road with good scenery and some good curves between Telegraph and Junction as well as a couple scenic crossings of the Llano River.

I could have taken 377 all the way to Mason but decided to pick up RR1871 a little north of Junction which included another scenic crossing of the Llano. In Mason, I took highway 29 east and between Burnet and Bertram took a couple of "goat paths" down to RR1174. The last six or so miles of 1174 before it ends at RR1431 is some of the best scenery in the area. When I reached 1451, I took it east to the Austin area and headed home.

Re: good ole east texas

no butterflys here but LOTS of love bugs. They will clog your radiator, splatter windshields, ruin paint jobs. And they stink.
Does any body know a use for love bugs beside being a pestilence.
If any body wants some we gots lots of them.
really cant ride because they are so bad.

Re: Re: good ole east texas

And they really like the color white.!!!!

Brenda

Re: Re: Re: good ole east texas

DS, **** good ride report. Thanks

Re: Re: Re: Re: good ole east texas

I was over in Camp Wood Saturday, but didn't hit any of the butterflies (thank goodness). The weather was really great for riding in the Hill Country. Now all we need is a little RAIN!