Return to Website

Motorcycle forum

We are the Lone Star Voyagers a chapter of the American Voyager Association. This open forum is for the members and guest of the LSV-AVA. Please feel free to use this service. Remember this is a family riding chapter.

Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: GMLSV

Ignition bolts are now out. I already dropped one but was able to find it, just not the washer.

I've got Vinnie under the awning. Still misting outside. Thanks for the tip. I was wondering how to put them back in. now I know.

Re: Re: Re: GMLSV

MM, sorry I didn't get your reply until now. I left for a ride about 9:00am. Somewhere out in the Hill Country it occurred to me that I should have called you to see if you needed help.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Electical..long post

I had a long conversation with Carl Leo. What a great guy. I bet we were on the phone for 2 hours trying different options. Jimbo also showed up and helped. I also got a hold of John H., Duane A., Fritz W., the Ol' Hippi & Bill O. Thanks to all of you.

By some miracle I got power back. The battery was so low it wouldn't start the bike, only 'click' the celenoid. But all the dash lights came on. Tomorrow I'll try to start it after being on the charger all night. I did have the shop put a load test on the battery yesterday and it was OK at 10.5 amps on load. Don't know if it would do that now.

We tried everything and nothing worked. A gremlin must have gotten scared because power came back for no apparent reason other than pulling just about every harness and connector apart. I'll put the fairing back together tomorrow afternoon after putting dielectric grease on all the connections. I now know more about the bike than I care to. I also have new tools!! A 10" socket extension and 5mm socket type allen wrench plus an impact screwdriver were needed just get started. Of course I had to make two trips to the store because they weren't needed at the same time.

I'll let y'all know what happens tomorrow! Have a good night and God Bless.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Electical..long post

Hopefully it was a bad connection or a connector that wasn't fully plugged in. However, it still could be a broken wire making an intermittent connection. After you get the ignition switch harness reconected, I sugest wiggling it while the key is in the "on" position. If the dash lights blink, you have a broken wire.

When replacing the fairing, I've found it easier to remove the fairing vents first and then pop them back in afterwards. It's realy difficult to get the vents aligned with the ducts while also aligning the fairing mounts.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Electical..long post

Wow! - that's good Dave.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Electical..long post

That suggestion was made by Karl. Once it's running, wiggle every d** wire you can find. Right now I'm cooking brekfast, almost afraid to try to start Vinnie. I hope the battery is strong enough to do the job AND that I have power.

I'll keep in mind the vent issue. Thanks.