Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 4 NC teenagers charged with killing taxi driver

Does this city require partitions?

Re: Re: 4 NC teenagers charged with killing taxi driver

no the city does not.

Re: Re: Re: 4 NC teenagers charged with killing taxi driver

I for one think the partitions do save lives. I do not know of any driver that was shot or stabbed in a taxi with a partition. I also do not believe a camera scares or slows down a drug crazed attacker. I remember seeing a video once that showed a real life attack on the cabs camera.

Is the idea to prevent violence or is it just to record it so the attackers might get caught someday? How much faith do you put in Chicagos police force Walter?

Re: Re: Re: Re: 4 NC teenagers charged with killing taxi driver

James,

Here's how I look at it: There are situations where a partition would save a life, in which a camera would not. There are situations in which a camera would save a life, in which a partition would not.

In my opinion, the partition is a better protector to the imminent threat but the camera is a better deterrent to the potential threat.

I think what it comes down to from a driver's perspective is the comfort factor. Some drivers feel very uncomfortable physically in a cab that has a shield while some drivers would feel very uncomfortable psychologically in a cab without one.

Regarding the camera, the thought that somebody is always watching would be comforting to some drivers while others would view this as an invasion of privacy.

For the owners it usually comes down to cost. Having a partition is generally less expensive than a camera but the camera may afford the owner more options for the vehicle, which could make the cameras financially viable.

George