General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Commissioner's Corner

As I told you in my last post every gas only taxi vehicle currently in service would be discriminated against by the new hybrid taxi stands. My loss is greater since my vehicle is still good for several more years. Perhaps you read too quickly.

Its illegal to change the rules in the middle of the game. It might very well be legal to designate a hybrid only stand or stands but grandfather in any current vehicles that are gas only. This isn't what the city is planning on doing. By the way, the city of New York had a hybrid taxi rule that was struck down by the courts. The ruling was that only the federal government can set fuel mileage requirements. You're not an attorney Michael. The ones I have spoken to want the case.

I hope to live long enough to tell the industry "I told you so!" The current hybrid vehicles will fade out very quickly in favor of electric only, small gas only, and fuel cell vehicles. Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles will one day roam the city streets here. Hopefully before our downfall.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Commissioner's Corner

James J.,

You are the one who said "let's not make things personal" (inexplicably), but then you go on to suggest that I "read too quickly".

I have read and re-read every word you have said.

Rules and regulations get changed all the time. I don't know what "game" you are talking about. When is it "over" and when can the rules be changed in this "game"?

I have never said I was an attorney. I don't think that you are an attorney, either.

You've got several attorneys that want to take your case (money)? That's doesn't surprise me.

It also doesn't surprise me that you have yet to explain how a hybrid-only cabstand is "illegally discriminating" against you and your medallion.

You want to use a hybrid-only cabstand? Buy a hybrid vehicle. There's no discrimination against you or your medallion. Only your choice of vehicle.

You want to use an extended-year cab? Buy a vehicle on the list approved for an extended year of service. That's what you did. That doesn't discriminate against any other cabdriver or medallion owner. Only their choice of vehicle.

I don't see this to be as big a problem as you do.

Just how much money would you be losing if you couldn't enter one or two cabstands because you insist on using a vehicle which doesn't meet the requirements for posting in these one or two cabstands?

-Mike Foulks

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

As I told you in my last post every gas only taxi vehicle currently in service would be discriminated against by the new hybrid taxi stands. My loss is greater since my vehicle is still good for several more years. Perhaps you read too quickly.

Its illegal to change the rules in the middle of the game. It might very well be legal to designate a hybrid only stand or stands but grandfather in any current vehicles that are gas only. This isn't what the city is planning on doing. By the way, the city of New York had a hybrid taxi rule that was struck down by the courts. The ruling was that only the federal government can set fuel mileage requirements. You're not an attorney Michael. The ones I have spoken to want the case.

I hope to live long enough to tell the industry "I told you so!" The current hybrid vehicles will fade out very quickly in favor of electric only, small gas only, and fuel cell vehicles. Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles will one day roam the city streets here. Hopefully before our downfall.

Re: Re: Re: Commissioner's Corner - hybrid only cabs inside Union Station

The hybrid-only idea was because I think one reason the indoor cab stand hasn't been reopened is people complained about air quality from cabs in the tunnel. Hybrid cabs wouldn't have engines running at the low speeds that we drove under Union Station.

It's my understanding that at least parts of Union Station have been sold to people who plan to build condos on top.

I still have a chauffeurs license, but I haven't driven in over a year. I don't own a medallion or any cab, hybrid or otherwise. I expect there will be more in the future.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Commissioner's Corner - hybrid only cabs inside Union Station

Blair Henderson,

The Taxi Court tunnels were closed due to security and safety concerns, not air-quality concerns.

They haven't been re-opened because some those concerns remain. There are also other more selfish reasons why.

The addition of condos presents another opportunity to argue for the re-opening of the Taxi Court tunnels, which were designed to accomodate a huge number of taxis and passengers conveniently.

Please e-mail me if you would like to communicate with somebody who could help make that happen - a high-ranking official at Amtrak.

-Mike Foulks, chinatownmike@yahoo.com

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

The hybrid-only idea was because I think one reason the indoor cab stand hasn't been reopened is people complained about air quality from cabs in the tunnel. Hybrid cabs wouldn't have engines running at the low speeds that we drove under Union Station.

It's my understanding that at least parts of Union Station have been sold to people who plan to build condos on top.

I still have a chauffeurs license, but I haven't driven in over a year. I don't own a medallion or any cab, hybrid or otherwise. I expect there will be more in the future.

Re: Re: Commissioner's Corner

Mr. Henderson, Do you really believe the city will have a leg to stand on left after a lawsuit is filed against "hybrid only" cab stands. This is a clean cut, clear cut example of discrimination. This would be akin to telling someone of darker pigmentation that he/she isn't allowed to pick up in the gold coast. Just because you might have a hybrid doesn't mean I need to have one to pick up a fare.

If you can read please tell me why I'm wrong. That's right, you can't. I agree with Ahmed, it would be time to file a lawsuit if this goes through.

Re: Re: Re: Commissioner's Corner

No I'm not saying that you cannot read, just that you cannot say with a straight face that I'm the one that's wrong here.