General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Some NYC cabs may soon get cameras on outside

Some NYC cabs may soon get cameras on outside

NEW YORK (AP) – New York City plans to install digital cameras on the outside of cabs in an effort to detect reckless driving and deter auto accidents. But a taxi drivers' advocacy group says the technology would invade cabbies' privacy.

Taxi and Limousine Commissioner Matthew Daus tells the Daily News that the pilot program could lower auto insurance costs and save lives. Some cabs already have cameras that record the interior of the vehicle. The cameras in the new pilot program would be on the outside of taxis.

Taxi Workers Alliance President Bharavi Desai called the cameras "intrusive." The alliance is an advocacy group that represents about one-fifth of the city's 44,000 licensed taxi drivers.

The Committee for Taxi Safety says the program should be voluntary because of its potential cost.

Re: Some NYC cabs may soon get cameras on outside

First there were only partitions in some fleet cabs. Then we were all required to get them. First there were cameras inside taxis. Now they want to put more and use the images against us. I keep thinking about George Orwell.

George L., you have stated that you like cameras in the past. I had questioned the use of the images in the past as well. Do you have any new thoughts on the matter?

Re: Re: Some NYC cabs may soon get cameras on outside

"Now they want to put more and use the images against us."

How did you conclude "they" want to use images against us?

Re: Re: Re: Some NYC cabs may soon get cameras on outside

"New York City plans to install digital cameras on the outside of cabs in an effort to detect reckless driving and deter auto accidents. But a taxi drivers' advocacy group says the technology would invade cabbies' privacy."

Above is an excerpt from the original post. Sania, you have a reading deficiency. Beisdes reading something that is printed, one learns to read between the lines at a young age. Wake Up!

Re: Re: Some NYC cabs may soon get cameras on outside

"George L., you have stated that you like cameras in the past. I had questioned the use of the images in the past as well. Do you have any new thoughts on the matter?"

I still like cameras. George Kasp and I questioned the use of images when we proposed ordinance amendments which would place restrictions on the city’s ability to collect GPS and security camera data. We argued to the Transportation Committee that the privacy of both drivers and the riding public needs to be preserved and that GPS and security camera data should be obtainable by the city only in cases involving alleged criminal activity.

I wish we had more people there supporting us.

George

Re: Re: Re: Some NYC cabs may soon get cameras on outside

What are the current rules involving the use of GPS data and the images collected by the cameras? I couldn't drive if I knew there was a camera watching me and or my driving at all times. This is one of the more serious problems we are facing. All should stand against this.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Some NYC cabs may soon get cameras on outside

I believe that DCS can look at the images at their discretion.