General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Turning Difficult Customers into Positive Outcomes

From the Chicago Dispatcher, January 2009

Turning Difficult Customers into Positive Outcomes (originally printed Sept. 2003)

By: Dan Van Hecke, Master Chauffeur

There are generally four types of customers who will give you grief, although some may overlap. Recognizing them as quickly as possible will let you plan your strategy and prevent you from overacting. Most customers are normal and decent; one intense bad one will ruin your day, if you let it.

1. “Nervous Nellies” could be either men or women - nervous, fidgety, quiet. Say about four words total, hard to hear, and difficult to tell where they are “coming from.”
- Repeat clearly their destinations to them using verifying addresses, cross streets or landmarks. Suggest a route to them, let them confirm their choice, and ask them if they need a receipt. What you are doing is brining them out of their apparent fog. Once you give a clear trip purpose and reassurance, you have laid a foundation whether they want to talk or not.

2. Know-it-alls It's not just what they say, but also the condescending tone. Things like: “I know the best way,” “You can't fool me,” “What do you mean meter and a half?,” and “You must like airport trips,” etc.
- They are used to drivers not knowing destinations or playing dumb so they (the customers) will “strike first.” I tell the customer to give me an exact address or intersection. I get them there the quickest, cheapest and safest way. Conviction in your voice is important, as they must believe you. Then quickly change the subject so it will not be dwelled on. At or close to the end of the trip, you can say something to let them know they had nothing to worry about, assuming they are pleased at this point. This will affirm your professionalism and will hopefully help them make the distinction between you and unprofessional drivers they may have had in the past.

3. Control Freaks They sometimes start with “oh driver” but will continue with “now turn here” even though you have made it plain what you were going to do in detail earlier. They are used to having authority at work and forget to turn it off in your cab. Give them what they request (within reason) and at the end of the trip proudly tell them “well, we did it.” Best defense is using your “secret weapon” (see below).

4. Loud and Obnoxious Whether drunk or not.
- This is one of the categories you can almost identify immediately as they are getting in your cab. They are either “good ol' boy” convention types or fresh out of the fraternity and still think they are there. With authority, say to them, “I have got a great deal for you - I will get you there quick, cheap and safe, with any shortcuts I know, with only two simple rules. No smoking or shouting. Surprisingly, they usually agree to this, as they don't think they are that loud. The obnoxious behavior usually follows the volume down to a bearable level. A few well-placed jokes or some small talk helps keep the pace.

Your Secret Weapon
For about the last five years or so, I have found the following to take the edge off the above customers and gain you more respect almost immediately:

Wear a white shirt and tie
The effects are incredible. If you don't have any, it's worth the investment. Shop to get them that look neat, are comfortable and are wash and wear. Wearing a white shirt and tie will do wonders for your appearance and will go a long way to overcome possible bias among certain customers, especially if you look or sound different from them. If you're on a tight budget, about $20 will get you five or six sets at a thrift store. This will be paid back the first week alone in more tips if you are giving courteous service and act as if you deserve respect. For women, smart, comparable business attire will bear the same results.