General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to Win Your Own Medallion

From the Chicago Dispatcher, January 2009

How to Win Your Own Medallion (originally printed Dec. 2005)
Tips for winning the Driver Excellence Award from the first Master Chauffeur.

By: Dan Van Hecke, Master Chauffeur

1. Done annually from 2001-2005. I expect it will be continued in some form and might even be expanded as drivers serving customers with disabilities increase.

2. Although chaired and organized by the Commissioner, the Commissioner does not vote on the winners. A panel of eight “judges” does this from tourism, the hotel industry, disabled groups, civil leaders and the taxi industry represented by last year's winners.

3. Therefore, put it out of your mind that the “fix is in!” Even though, for example, in 2001 (mine) and 2002 (Joan Barnes), winning was a strong favorite because of our pioneering the accessible cabs, we still went through the same process and scrutiny to make sure that we had what was required and then some.

4. To help the odds:
A. Anyone (not just customers) who knows about your giving good service to the disabled community.
B. Although the guidelines state anyone having a relationship with you cannot nominate, this usually means only immediate family - not friends or associates from your work, church or any organization.
C. In other words, if someone can shine a light on your good example, ask him or her to submit his or her nomination. Don't be shy. The city is looking for a beacon of hope to raise taxi industry standards.
D. Any service, teaching or volunteering helps.
E. Give a stamped envelope addressed to the city with the nomination form. Human nature is that they would be far more inclined to submit then.
F. Any person who can give you a character reference or service “above and beyond the call of duty.”

5. Do not worry about how many TAP's you have done - this is not a number contest. Part of the sorting-out process is a report from the CTA with your totals, anyway.

6. Entries from previous years are taken into consideration.

7. You want to enter even if you might not win because:
A. There are other prizes.
B. You can use this on your resume, that you were “in the running.” By the way, you will possibly be getting at least a letter from the city acknowledging this.
C. Quite frankly, it helps to sort out who is behind you.
D. These can accumulate for future nominations and possible inclusion of input to the city on improving service.

8. A customer can legitimately nominate more than one driver on separate forms but usually do only one.

9. The medallion is unrestricted, not limited to handicap service or to neighborhood. Although I don't vote on any of the nominees, I am keenly interested in all above-quality drivers being recognized.

10. Finally, of the last six medallions awarded, three drove accessible vans and three drove sedans. There was one woman and there were five men, all from a wide variety of nationalities. This means it really is an equal opportunity chance!