General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reader Opinions

From the Chicago Dispatcher, January 2009

Reader Opinions

Hustling at the Hyatt

Editor’s note: the following letter was originally sent to Patrick Donnelly, General Manager of the Hyatt Regency Chicago

Dear Mr. Donelly:

I am a Chicago taxi driver and I would like to draw your attention to a very serious matter that involves the Hyatt Regency Hotel you manage, located at 151 E. Wacker Drive.

The doormen at the Hyatt are giving preferential treatment to certain taxis that bribe your doormen for airport trips. This is also occurring with limos. I know that this is happening because I have questioned taxi drivers who have skipped the long line of taxis waiting at the Hyatt. These drivers were unable to identify or give a physical description of whom they claimed to have prearrangements for pick up from the Hyatt. Limos sit on the ramp for excessive amounts of time compared to the average wait time that a legitimate limo driver would experience. This activity that is occurring at the establishment, which you oversee, is illegal.

On January 2, 2009, I met with a manager of the Hyatt by the name of Scott Slack. I informed Mr. Slack of the bribes and solicitations that were and are occurring. Mr. Slack stated that he would like to get the Communications Manager, Jamila Woods involved. He took my contact information and said that he would relay it to Ms. Woods. To this day, I have not received a reply. Mr. Donelly, there are no hotels that have the volume of so-called prearranged pick up traffic that the Hyatt Regency has. This activity is quite obvious and I'm shocked that your employees openly show complete disregard for the law.

Not only is the activity of your doormen illegal, it is highly unethical and unprofessional.

Taxi drivers will continue to make complaints against the doormen of the Hyatt, taxi and limo drivers that choose to engage in this activity. We can't expect the Department of Business Affairs and Licensing to constantly monitor your staff. At some point, hotel management of the Hyatt needs to assume responsibility for the illegal actions of their employees. It is a shame that these doormen exhibit such corrupt behavior because it is a direct reflection of the City of Chicago through the eyes of a tourist or visitor.

I sincerely hope that you correct this problem and I thank you for your attention to this situation.

– Melissa Callahan