General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reader Opinions

From the Chicago Dispatcher, January 2009

Reader Opinions

Response to last month’s “Commissioner’s Corner”

I am compelled and frustrated by the Commissioner's column in the December issue of the Chicago Dispatcher regarding cabstands. Commissioner Reyes says “demographic shifts make some cabstands obsolete while leaving other areas with an overwhelming need for a new cabstand.” This is a very accurate, strong statement regarding the need for new cabstands.

I've been writing letters and meeting city officials since January 2002 regarding the lack of a cabstand at 500 W. Madison. I've also submitted a petition bearing the signatures of 1,991 cabdrivers asking for the reinstatement of this cabstand. If there is any other location in the city that has a more “overwhelming need for a new cabstand,” I don't know of it. I challenge the Commissioner or anyone in our business to point out a location that has a more “overwhelming need for a new cabstand.”

In her column, Commissioner Reyes points out three criteria used in reviewing potential cabstand locations. Let's see how a cabstand at 500 W. Madison would stack up to these criteria.

1. “Does a cabstand in this location impede the flow of traffic? Is there a bus stop or turning lane present?” Yes, there is a bus stop on the western end of Madison, but the bus stop was there from 1990 to 2001 when a cabstand was at that location and the two managed to co-exist. Additionally, a bus stop, charter bus stop and taxi stand are present at Union Station. The street is much narrower on Canal Street at Union Station then at 500 W. Madison, yet nobody is advocating removing that cabstand. Regarding traffic flow, it can be logically expected that there will be heavy traffic flow outside a busy downtown train station. That factor is all the more reason for a cabstand to be placed at that location.

2. “Does the location allow for easy and safe use by passengers? Is the passenger required to cross any lanes of traffic unsafely?” Yes, a stand at 500 W. Madison would allow for easy and safe use by passengers, and no, they wouldn't have to cross any lanes of traffic to access it.

3. “Does the location support the need for a cabstand? Are there enough potential passengers to make a viable cabstand?” I would argue that no location supports the need for a cabstand more than 500 W. Madison. As for potential passengers, I would say a busy train station in downtown Chicago would have more than it's share of potential passengers. Furthermore, there was a cabstand at that location from 1990 to 2001, when it was removed under the guise of sitting cabs being a safety hazard.

So you see, a cabstand at 500 W. Madison clearly meets the three requirements for a cabstand, as pointed out by the Commissioner.
I'm looking forward to those 19 additional cabstands in the downtown area mentioned in the Commissioner's column. Hopefully, the 20th location will be at 500 W. Madison.

Sincerely exasperated,
George Kasp