General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
One of a Kind

From the Chicago Dispatcher, January 2009

One of a Kind
Friends and loved ones remember Dan Van Hecke (1943-2008), city's first Master Chauffeur.

By: Jonathan Bullington

Janice Stashwick remembers the first time she met Dan. As a coordinator for the city's Disability Pride Parade, Stashwick turned to him to assist in parade planning, knowing Dan's extensive background of service to people with disabilities.

“Plus I thought he was cute,” she said.

In Dan, Stashwick found a tireless worker, orchestrating permits, licensing, insurance, tents, stages, sound systems chairs, security, city services and sanitation for the annual parade. She also found a deeper, personal connection. Eventually, their relationship progressed to a monogamous relationship - a partnership for life.

Now Stashwick, like so many others, mourns the passing of Dan Van Hecke and remembers the man who defined accessible taxicab drivers and truly epitomized a master chauffeur.

“I don't think I will ever meet anyone like him,” she said. “He changed my life. He changed a lot of people's lives - that was Dan. He meant the world to me.”

Dan's commitment to service was unparalleled. In his youth he devoted a number of years to becoming a priest of the Kriya Yoga Temple. Though he eventually left the seminary, Stashwick said Dan lived a priestly life of service.

“Dan took more time taking care of others than he did himself,” she said. “He literally went the extra mile.” Stashwick remembered a time Dan transported a passenger home from the airport, returned to the airport to pick up the passenger's power chair, and then went back to the airport to retrieve a missing piece of the power chair - all without anyone asking him to do so. As she said: “that was Dan.”

Dan is probably best remembered for his pioneering efforts in establishing the city's accessible taxi program, work that helped him win a medallion in the city's inaugural Driver Excellence Award. To his passengers, Dan was more than a taxi driver: he was a man who entered their lives and left a lasting impression of friendship.

“Dan was a wonderful person,” said Susan Aarup, an employee of the Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities. Aarup met Dan 11 years ago as a passenger in his cab and the two quickly became good friends. They worked together to promote service for people with disabilities, often comparing notes on their various projects.

“I was very shocked and saddened at his passing,” Aarup said. “He was an advocate for so many people, but his legacy lives on.”

Jerri Voda also met Dan as a passenger in his cab and, like Aarup, developed a friendship with Dan that grew over the years.

“He was a very dedicated driver,” Voda recalled. “He had a heart of gold. Dan was always working to improve service to people with disabilities. I can't say enough about him. The city lost a good advocate in Dan.”

Dan was recognized by those in the taxi industry as an expert in accessible taxi service. He was often called to share his knowledge on the subject with taxi regulators throughout the country. In Chicago, his death was mourned in the halls of city government.

“On behalf of Chicago's disability community, we are grateful for Dan's exemplary leadership and professionalism in providing accessible transportation to people with disabilities throughout the years,” said Commissioner Karen Tamley of the Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities.

“As one of the first Master Chauffeurs to drive an accessible vehicle, he was a dedicated advocate of promoting accessible cabs as an industry standard.”

“Dan Van Hecke was an institution in the Chicago taxi industry,” said Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection Commissioner Norma Reyes. “His commitment to Chicago's community of people with disabilities was second to none, and his years of service should be an inspiration to all public chauffeurs. Mostly, Dan will be dearly missed by all in the department who had the privilege to work with him.”

Indeed, Chicago taxi drivers were recalling their fond memories of Dan and his work. Longtime friend and fellow Master Chauffeur Joan Barnes remembered Dan's unwavering dedication to helping others.

“Whenever I needed help, he was there,” she said. “He had the arms of an octopus. He could be there for anyone.” Barnes recalled being particularly impressed with Dan's intelligence. “He knew the history and layout of Chicago like the back of his hand.”

Veteran cabdriver George Kasp also reminisced about Dan's intellect.

“Dan was one of the nicest people I've had the privilege of being friends with,” he said. “He was one of the most knowledgeable people on the taxi business. I'm forever grateful for Dan having been a confidant whenever I needed help on the taxi business.”

Fellow chauffeur and friend Al Kupferman continued the praise of Dan's service and skill.

“Dan was a wonderful human being who cared about others and spent a lot of time helping other people,” said Kupferman. “His main focus was customer service. He really was about helping others.”

Perhaps Kupferman said it best when he said Dan lives on with the people who were lucky enough to know him. And for those people, the hope is that the work started by Dan doesn't end with his death.

“The best tribute to him,” Stashwick said, “would be to continue the accessible work he fought for.”