General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: For Shame

The city uses certain administrative law officers when they need a win. Believe it or not, not all of the ALO's give the city what they desire. I know of three that rule fairly. There may be more, I do not know.

I once was in the courtroom for a revocation hearing involving city attorney Stuart Alpern. The hearing officer did not revoke the medallion and charged a fine of 250.00 The fine was for the drivers temporary chauffeurs license being expired for six months. This ALO is a fair man. He hands out just punishment, not the murder the city wants.

The hearing with Motta and Rupal was just procedure. The city was already going to win since Chavez was on the bench. The only things that happen at the circuit court of Crook County is an administrative review. Motta files for the review (289.45)and the judge reviews the evidence from the hearing only! NOTHING NEW ALLOWED! This why why Motta wasn't allowed to force people to testify. The city would have had trouble in a review if different testimony had gone on the record. This medallion is probably lost.

Two things come to mind here, please remember I am a non attorney.
1) An appeal of the hearing on the grounds it somehow broke the rules of fairness. Witnesses were not allowed, service of potential witnesses was denied etc. All this would do is force a new hearing. I have never heard of this happening, but it would seem to be illegal to deny the serving of potential witnesses. A new hearing with the knowledge of getting EVERYTHING on the record would help in a circuit court review if the new hearing resulted in another revocation.

2) Wasn't this medallion holder represented by his affiliation? If so he always had a Chicago address. A management agreement and a appearance from his city licensed manager would have been a better defense than trying to get the guy that took over the apartment lease to testify. The affiliations have a managers license so they can represent their affiliates in time of need. Was a surrender form completed before the renewal date? It would appear that all the city had was a late renewal and the fact a dead man couldn't register his new office. An appearance from his affiliation at 2350 W. Ogden could have corrected this problem.

Motta might be a good attorney, maybe even a great one. However he didn't have what it took here, a real insiders knowledge of The ****ty of Chicagos ripoff hearing courts.

If I were representing this corporation, remember I'm not an attorney, I would appeal the hearing and ask the court to send it back to Superior. I would also ask for a stay of the current order pending final outcome. Then instruct the affiliation to pay the renewal fees and file the change of office.

One final thought, too bad this stuff is all bench. A jury would have been better.

Re: Re: For Shame/clarification

Stuart Alpern is an attorney for the city. The hearing officer was Richard Byrne. Byrne isn't a cut-throat kind of guy. Naturally the city didn't have him on the bench for the Shehu revocation.......

Re: Re: For Shame

we dont need more cabs, we got too many cabs!

This should be a wake up call to all owners. If the city can do this to Shehu, they can do this to you.

Re: No Shame! Stop more cabs!

The bussiness has been very slow. Everytime you are on street, you are between 5 empty cabs infront and behind you.
There always seem to be more cabs in city then private cars.

You can barely make $50 working 12 hours a day these days. Cabbies are doing road rage just to find the first available passengers.

Despite all these, The city is doing nothing to stop more cabs on street, they are not stopping issuance of new medallions. The chauffer class at HW college is still continuing.
The long time professional drivers are stopping to drive cabs due to very slow bussiness.
There are too many unprofessional, roookies customer unfreindly cabbies on street who don't know their way around and why talk on cell phone blue tooth while driving and keep cab dirty.

This also gives long time drivers bad names.

I wonder who will truely do somehting about this CAB FLOODING issue.

Just too many cabs and $50 a day for working 12 to 14 hours a day is a reality in cab bussiness!!!!!!

bussiness too slow!!!!! resturant or retail chan job?
Name: cabbie
Date Posted: Mar 18, 09 - 7:15 AM
Message: these days, i can barely make $40 working 12 hours.
Yesterday, i worked for 12 hours and total i made was $49. This is too low, maybe even lower then a amigos working as window cleaner at car wash.
I seriously want to change job cos i am going to be homeless if i continue this.

I intend to Mcdonald or Dunkin donut or at target or walmart as cashier, i heared i will at least make 8$ hourly plus benefits.
if i make less then $40 by working 12 hour as cabbie,
I will make more then $40 working at mcdonald as cashier in 6 hours.

Any ex drivers working anywhere else?
Pls advice me and suggest me in to finding a job.

thanks

Re: Re: UIC research study says, Chicago Cabbies make $ 4.25 hourly!

I agree bussiness has be steadily declining since 2007 due to slow bussiness and high increase in number of cabs.

I used to like this job but these days it's so painful.

Sometimes I am able to make $ 60 a day but most days, I make less then $50.

I don't know about walmart but I am looking to work at Target in Addsion and Kesdzie, Their hourly pay is $10, so I will make $80 daily working just 8 hours.
My freind's gf works there and she was able to find me a cashier job.