General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Commissioner's Corner

From the Chicago Dispatcher, March 2009

Commissioner's Corner
A praiseworthy year: where does the good go?

By: Norma Reyes

The Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection keeps track of all complaints and compliments filed against the taxi industry. We categorize them and track trends over time, analyzing to see where we should focus our attention in terms of training and enforcement. I am happy to report a decrease of 20% in total complaints filed in 2008 (8,950) compared to the total filed in 2007 (11,227).

Beyond looking at complaints, the Department also reviews all compliments. Again, we saw a decrease, from 832 compliments in 2007 to 748 in 2008, a ten percent decrease. I would like to acknowledge the quiet, yet exceptional, work that I know goes on each day by dedicated professional public chauffeurs.

The one communication we received that stands out and is worthy of highlighting: in 2008, Public Chauffeur Almas Weldingwala was praised for saving a woman's life using CPR. The report states, "Lady in wheelchair passed out on street and driver rescued her by giving her CPR - she says no doubt about it, he saved her life." This woman, Renee Kutrubis, went on to nominate Mr. Weldingwala for the Taxicab Drivers Excellence Award. In her nomination letter, she states, "I called for a handicap van…As I was going towards the cab I slipped, fell and passed out. When I regained consciousness I was surrounded by Mr. Weldingwala and bystanders. These bystanders mentioned that Mr. Weldingwala had called for an ambulance. And while the ambulance was on its way he gave me C.P.R. and revived me." Clearly, the impact this driver made cannot be quantified or categorized in any sort of measurable way. Simply put, being a public chauffeur occasionally means going beyond the professional and into the realm of heroic. I congratulate and thank Mr. Weldingwala for his efforts and service.

The most grateful and emphatic compliments come from passengers whom you have helped into their homes or medical care facilities. I recognize that it is not always possible to go to such lengths with a passenger, but it is exactly this kind of compassionate service that most resonates with people, and does not go unnoticed. One passenger commented, after a ride on September 6th, 2008, with Public Chauffeur Vissinto Ayi, “I come here for cancer treatments and this particular driver was very nice and helpful.”

In addition to the extraordinary accounts of driver's actions that come across my desk, we also have drivers who receive multiple compliments. I would like to acknowledge the following nineteen drivers who received three or more compliments in 2008:

Abdul Khan
Iqbal Asif
Serigne Dia
Abdelkrim Khattabi
Zewdie Mallie
Youssef Najmi
Siraj Chand
Dean Politis
Garad Garad
Manuel Esqueda
Firas Askar
Fatai Hassan
Davoud Haidari
Hadith Mahdi
Syed Imtyaz
Walid Ziada
Nazar Pankiv
Issac Youkhanna
Jimmy Alanaj

Of these industry leaders, Isaac Youkhanna received the most compliments - nine - from passengers commenting on his professional service and clean cab.

Many of the compliments that we receive are from grateful passengers who had something returned that had been left in a cab. Checking the interior of the vehicle at the end of a trip is not only a requirement, but, more importantly, it is a quick and easy way to have a lasting, positive impact on a busy and distracted passenger. From purses, wallets, and cell phones to briefcases, computers, and luggage, passengers forget all sorts of things. One letter, complimenting driver Manuel Esqueda, reads: “Recently on a cab ride from City Hall to a meeting at Northwestern Hospital, I had the misfortune of leaving my cell phone in the back of a cab I had hired…the cab driver not only saved my phone but delivered it to me. My offered reward was turned down.”

We also frequently receive compliments regarding the condition of the cab. Passengers notice and appreciate a clean cab. Keeping the back seat and passenger area clear of dirt and trash is another simple and effective way to communicate to your passengers that you are a professional who considers it part of your job to provide a pleasant experience. This passenger was impressed enough by driver Garad Garad to call and report this experience: “Cab was very clean and driver was very polite." These fundamentals clearly make a difference.

Each driver's behavior and approach, by the very nature of the work being done, is observed and to some extent, scrutinized. Patterns of praise are just as telling as the records of repeat offenders. The habits you form as a driver have their consequences, both good and bad.

Where does the good go? It spreads. From satisfied customers, to a less stressful workday, to better tips, to a more peaceful state of mind, what you put out is what you get in return. Your positive effort is appreciated and it is my hope that in 2009, the number of compliments the Department receives outnumbers the number of complaints.

Re: Commissioner's Corner

Was the guy that made hundreds of complaints per year now excluded? A sign that encourages someone to complain leads to complaints.

I once complained to the 311 phone number about an open air drug market on the West side. I was transfered to a special operator that read me a long essay about drug complaints and told me that the city will investigate in 30 DAYS OR LONGER, NO SOONER. This kind of treatment has discouraged me from making any more calls.

Most of the complaints are just due to the sign and the greater expectations it gives. I didn't help with someones packages. What they didn't know was that I had twisted my left ankle earlier in the shift. I wasn't rude and did not fail to give the minimum required service. The sign makes the passenger think my taxi is a top class transportation provider like a special limo service costing 100.00 or so per hour. Expectations are increased over the norm.

The number of complaints has gone down due to the fact the usual complaintants and the unrealistic people haven't gotten satisfaction. They didn't deserve it. As for the guy that makes several complaints per DAY, if I ever get one from him I will sue. In fact he deserves a lawsuit for every complaint he made. Should the city have banned him from this act? What are your thoughts George?