Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dear Cabbie

From the Chicago Dispatcher
April 2009

Dear Cabbie

Dear Cabbie,
I have a question regarding cabstands and no-parking signs. I was waiting at the cabstand on Madison Street in front of the Presidential Towers when a police officer told me and the other cabdrivers there that we had to move our cabs. We were told this was because of a sign that restricts parking at that area from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. This sign is located in between the two signs designating that area as a cabstand. So my question is, which sign takes precedence - the cabstand signs or the no-parking sign?

Sincerely,
Confused with Signage

Dear Confused with Signage,
Thanks for sending your question. I can understand why this would be confusing, especially since most cabstands post any parking restrictions right on the signs themselves.

I spoke with Lisa at Chicago's Department of Transportation regarding this cabstand. She informed me that the no-parking sign you're referring to is a rush-hour sign, and rush-hour signs supersede all other signage at all locations in Chicago. Therefore, you and your fellow cabdrivers cannot legally park at that cabstand between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Hope this helps.
– Cabbie