General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dr. Bruno's Study - A Critique: Other Inconsistencies (part 5)

From the Chicago Dispatcher
June 2009

By George Lutfallah

Other inconsistencies

In your introduction you reported that, “The Council has functioned as an advocacy group for the city's roughly 60 percent of cabdrivers who are Muslim.” However on Chart 1.4 in your study you produce a pie chart that indicates that only 37 percent of the drivers are Muslim. Why the discrepancy? My guess is that you were told the 60 percent figure. I've heard that figure before. However, I suppose it's also possible that some of the Muslim drivers didn't want to reveal their religious beliefs to people walking around with clipboards, possibly for similar reasons drivers don't want to reveal their incomes. Which figure should we trust?

You also reported that the “Drivers' age ranges from 20 to 78 years.” It's my understanding that you have to be at least 21 years of age to get a chauffeur's license in the city of Chicago and I'm not aware of any exceptions. Why the 20 year old? Maybe that's how it was reported. Maybe it was a typo. Maybe there's something I'm unaware of and there was an exception made by the city. I hate to think of the other possibilities.