General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TaxiPlan Gives Drivers Peace of Mind (Part I)

from the Chicago Dispatcher
September 2009

By Jessica Ernst

Representing taxicab drivers in a court of law, according to Jennifer Davenport, is “about life.” It's about defending an underrepresented population in need of help, just trying to make a living like everyone else.

“There are not a lot of people advocating for cabdrivers,” explained Davenport, founder of TaxiPlan, a legal assistance program for cabdrivers.

TaxiPlan offers taxicab drivers representation in court for violations such as traffic tickets, fly tickets and administrative citations. Membership costs $144 for an entire year.

Besides basic representation, membership also guarantees reduced rates for real estate closings, medallion sales and transfers, and basic wills.

“It's a really big benefit for [cabdrivers] to have an attorney,” Davenport said.

While at John Marshall Law School, Davenport was a prosecutor for the city and worked in traffic court. After she graduated in 1994, she continued to work in the traffic courts as a prosecutor. In 1995, when she opened her general practice, Jennifer Davenport & Associates, she was already versed in traffic violations and other issues important to cabdrivers.

Though she mostly worked with general contracts, litigation, divorce, immigration and criminal issues, she noticed a demand for attorneys in the taxicab industry.

“I started marketing myself to cab companies,” she remembered.

Her first client was Blue Ribbon in 1995, where she started certifying the company's documents. From there, she began networking and reaching out to other cab companies.

Soon after, the city of Chicago mandated that every medallion owner be represented by a lawyer. Her business quickly expanded.

“It's really been generated by the city's massive increase in tickets,” Davenport said.

A stronger demand called for a bigger supply. In 2007, Davenport decided to focus solely on taxicab driver needs and created TaxiPlan with the help of another lawyer, Andrew Yoblon.

Today, TaxiPlan boasts over 1,000 members and offers not only legal assistance, but also a place to turn to when looking for advice.

“I know a lot of [our clients],” Davenport said. “They're not just some number; they can talk to somebody here.”

Other lawyers are “not going to answer questions because they're not your attorney.” Cabdrivers would have to schedule an appointment and possibly miss work. Members of TaxiPlan are free to call whenever they have questions or need help.

(continued...)