General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Surcharge vs. Fare increase

We don't need a surcharge and we don't need a fare increase.

I really think we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot if we got either. Right now people are taking cabs BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO DRIVE. We don't need to give them incentives to start driving their own cars.

Alby

Re: Re: Surcharge vs. Fare increase

I think Albert is right. High gas prices are going to send business our way, not hurt our business. Plus, we just got advertising approved as a way to bring revenue to the industry without being from passengers. Let's give it a chance to work before we start making more demands.

Re: Re: Surcharge vs. Fare increase

I am sure you guys are hurting because of the fuel prices like everyone else. If people are taking the cabs to save gas, they obviously aren't doing the math. Between spiraling costs of auto repairs, gas and insurance, something needs to be done. I am sure you know it, too. I am sure your lease payments have not gone down to compensate your for the fuel costs; ergo you are being hit like a pay cut each time the fuel prices increase.

testyourself
Re: Surcharge vs. Fare increase

The CTA maybe raising their prices, but it still is a cheaper way to travel, depending on where your going. If cabs raise there rates they might see some of there buiness go to the CTA.

Surcharge vs. Fare increase vs Acquiring Wealth

A flexible surcharge based on gas prices and a fare unconditional fare increase would be appropriate.

Many drivers fear that if we get an increase of any kind, the City will raise its fines , fees and taxes and the owners will raise their leases.

One or more or all of the above have occurred with every fare increase in the past. There is no reason to believe it won't be the same again.

Drivers get a fare increase and all the dogs circle for their cut of the action. Fresh meat!

Oddly enough, in the rest of the economic world it is the other way around. If costs increase, a busness increases its prices. The customer pays.

What do these business (in the rest of the economic world) know that taxicab profesionals and their governing/managing authorities seem to miss year after year after year?

Our system is so topsy-turvy it seems we are violating all the basic capitalist precepts and rules.

No wonder we're not getting rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!