General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cameras in cabs

Bob,

It seems you are in a tough position. I'm curious as to why your drivers feel you should have to pay? Have they said why? Have you thought about splitting the cost with them?

Good luck,

Chris

Re: Re: Cameras in cabs

Drivers say that I should pay for the cameras because I own the cabs. They say that if they leave to get another job, do they take the cameras with them? I may talk with them about splitting the cost but I bet coming up with something fair is going to be a pain.

Bobby

Owners should pay for cameras. It's simple. You want us to drive for you, you need to protect your investment. Besides that, when a driver leaves, you keep the camera. So why should I pay for it? Step up owners.

"Step up owners." Really? I'm a cab owner. Let's say my city requires I put cameras in my cabs. Fine, I'll step up and pay the cost. But I'm not going to eat that because I'm not made of money, so who do you think I'm gonna pass that on to? Yep, my drivers in the form of a higher lease rate. Now when my drivers start complaining about having to spend more in lease rates, who needs to "step up"?

The camera debate is simple: they are a good way to keep drivers safe, true, but they are an expensive way. Most owners will not want to spend $700 plus to equip a car with a camera. Either give owners a way to afford cameras or forget about requiring them. Maybe drivers should start properly using the current safety equipment they have in their car before asking for new stuff? Maybe city governments should stop over-regulating cab industries? Maybe drivers should be more willing to pay for cameras? It's like bicycle helmets - if you ever go to purchase bicycle helmets, you can spend $20 on a simple helmet or you can spend $50 on a nice helmet with extra protection. Sure, it costs more money but it protects you better. Shouldn't the same be true for cabs? The cab with a camera in it may protect you better, but you're gonna have to pay more for it.

Re: Re: Re: Cameras in cabs

Here's a novel idea: why don't drivers put stickers on the backseat windows saying something like "Smile, you're being watched by a close circuit security camera." That gives you all the benefits of warning potential attackers that they are on tape w/o the expense. As a kid, my parents use to keep a sign in the front window saying the house was protected by a security system. One day I asked my mom why we had that sign since we didn't have a system. She said, "you and I know we don't have a security system, but a robber doesn't."

If someone has their mind made up on attacking you, no camera will stop them. People still rob banks even though it's common knowledge that banks have security cameras. Cameras in cabs are good for two things - helping catch those who attack drivers and stopping those who are THINKING about robbing a cab. A sticker in the window can possibly stop those THINKING people, but like I said, no sticker or camera will stop someone who has DECIDED to rob you. Hell, a shield won't even stop that attack.

Just a thought, would love to hear other ideas.

G.W.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cameras in cabs

Once the word gets out then even the taxi drivers with good cameras are in danger. safty of work place is responsibility of the owner of the business, there fore medalion owners should install a working camers.

Cameras in cabs & Safety

Safety is everybody's duty. That's duty, not business. Safety is a part of that cost of doing business.

Safety should not thrown around in this kind of blame game.
We must put "drivers versus owners versus regulators" aside for our common good -- staying alive, working, prospering -- you know like in the Constitution of the United States of America with its guarantees of life, liberty, pursuit of happiness and other inalienable rights.

Most community governments are the first to claim that they must regulate every aspect of the taxicab industry for "public safety."

But you can't find a politician or regulator or law enforcement official anywhere that gives a bowel movement about the health and safety of a taxicab driver. If I'm wrong about this prove it!

If an owner installs a camera, then the government should "kick in" a portion.

This is the community's joint financial effort in saying "We care about your health and safety, even if you are just a taxicab driver fulfilling our transportation needs, because we are good and honorable Americans."

The owner gets his money back from the driver through lease payments anyway, so the drivers will automatically "kick in" a chunk of the cost.

Sorry if I'm preaching.

Typical driver. You obviously have no concept of running a business. That's why you're still a driver.

Cameras in cabs vs fear of driving

The "monster" may be our fearless reliance on technology instead of our own personal Fearlessness of cab driving -- the first and most basic ingredient of a good taxicab driver.

Cameras are great -- if you can afford the technology and control its use.

No taxicab owner should have to shoulder that cost alone. And we certainly do not want the government involved.

Why next thing you know your local government will want GPS tracking so they can dispense with "due process of law" and issue speeding tickets on the fly....

There are some insurance carriers such as American Country that offer savings on both insurance and the cost of the camera system (such as DriveCam) may not be much of a savings but every little bit helps.

In Louisiana you can have your agent contact BISYS Commercial Insurance Services. Below is a link to their contact information.

http://www.amctry.com/ACIWeb/aciweb_agentsearch.jsp