General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Raising Cab Fares Regularly

Faarax J. recently wrote "If we start raising cab fares on a regular basis, we run the very real risk of losing business."

This could happen. But Let's look at some of the real world consumer behavior in the midst of inflation.

Fuel Prices: There are no known reports of the big oil companies driving away or losing customers. There are more drivers than ever, despite record high gas and diesel fuel costs. In fact, the oil companies and/or gas producers are reporting record high profits!

Food Prices: People can't seem to get enough groceries -- even with record high food prices. Grocery stores claim higher delivery costs because of record high fuel costs!

Housing - Rent/Mortgages: Rents are going up almost every month. Rental property owners are reporting - yes you guessed it -- record high energy and maintenance costs.

The cost of home loans is going up -- the mortgage lenders want to cover some of the losses for all those bad loans they made -- over one million defaults/foreclosures and still going up.

It may be that the only customers taxicab drivers lose are the ones that tip you a nickel or a dime.

Or maybe we lose a few customers that go on a $3.65 trip after you chased 25 blocks to pick up the dispatch order.

(Gotta love 'em though -- no fare too big or too small! No tip to meager for a heartfelt thank you.)

In the real world, higher costs mean lower profits - less "take-home pay."

Any smart business raises its prices to cover costs to maintain its margin (of profit). No one goes into business to lose money.

I sympathize with riders too, but that sympathy stops when I am called on to finance their life styles by not charging them more because my costs have gone up.

I am all for charity, but not for the taxicab riders, most of whom make more money than I do in the first place.

I want to pay my rent on time, I want to eat healthy and wholesome food, I want to wear nice, clean clothes, pay my utilities and all my bills on time.

It gets harder and harder to do this when my real take-home is shrinking and the "buying power" of the dollar is shrinking along with it because of the higher cost of everything.

In the light of inflation - not charging more for your service is like charging less.

So, to reiterate what I said to the Transportation Committee in live testimony arguing for a surcharge or meter increase, "OUCH!"

Keep Accurate Records

Regarding the CIty Law requirement that drivers must submit records to DCS for review to determine an appropriate fare increase, Faarax J. w rote "What I suggest ... every ... cabdriver ... keep a complete and accurate record of your business for a month - how many hours a day you work, how many fares you had per day, the pick up and drop off locations of each fare, the price on the meter, how much tip you received, how much in gas you spent, how much in lunch you spent - take all that information, organize it into an easily accessible format and submit it to the commissioner and City Council. They have told us what they need from us before granting a fare increase. Let's give it to them and see what happens. Then, if they still don't want to act, we can explore other options."

OK, I'm doing it! Pass the word. Reyes wants 40 or 50 drivers with a week's worth of records -- a receipt for each trip and gas receipt as well as any other direct expenses incurred.

A "log" or trip sheet would also do. See above.

Badda bing!

Trip sheet or receipts, keep it honest. Don't ashamed if you have a slow, unprofitable shift. And don't be afraid that if you had a good shift, that it count against a meter raise.

5 Kids - 2 jobs

I hope I will live to see the day where one does not have to work two jobs, no matter how large a family one has.

I, for one, am trying to help make such a day possible.

I salute you, sir, and I admire your bravery and dedication to your family. You're an inspiration to lazy old dogs like me!

Historical Strike Data - Sending A Message

In all my studies of labor movements and their reasons for striking, I have never heard of or read about an action by any labor organization in which a strike was used simply to "send a message."

A letter, fax or email is a much more efficient way to send a message.

Re: Strike!

Thumbs Up to the sacrifices made by the cab drivers for better working conditions. We are suffering from the cost of living and staying behind it. We have to depend on regulators as if we work for them. We pay for everything, and often cannot make our own business decisions , particularly in the investment of technology. Take a survey of the lives of your veterans, and you will find them suffering from ailments that aren't treated because of having no health insurance. Take a survey of the regulators and fleet owners, and compare. Don't give up organizing. We are all going to come together throughout this country, and end the exploitation in our lives. We have the same issues in Philadelphia, where I am from and been driving a cab for 20 years. We are not independent anymore. ORGANIZE, ORGANIZE, ORGANIZE!

In solidarity,
Steve Chervenka, member, Taxi Workers Alliance of Pennsylvania