General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A ‘Wildcat’ Strike May Lead Taxi Drivers Down The Wrong Road

Editorial:

A ‘Wildcat’ Strike May Lead Taxi Drivers Down The Wrong Road

Historically, the threat of a ‘strike’ is a basic labor strategy designed to create leverage that the workers feel will help them receive better wages and conditions. A strike deadline is usually established by a contract expiration date or specific timetable. That said, I feel that everyone should immediately ‘cool off,’ head back to the table and make sure there is a very clear view of what the facts are between taxi drivers, the Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) and the new Global Positioning System (GPS). That would be much more effective than quickly doing something drastic, and wouldn’t alienate anyone out there who may be willing to listen.

The GPS and other technology enhancements have already been installed in over two thousand cabs as we speak (out of the 13,000+ yellows that are now on the road). The TLC’s mandatory installation schedule for the new equipment is ready to begin on October 1st, 2007 and that means we’ll finally have a large-scale ‘road test’ taking place here in the City. The overall length of the installation schedule will allow enough time between now and the beginning of next year to see if any of the new technology features need to be adjusted. We’ll also be able to identify any glaring TLC enforcement issues that may arise with the GPS while drivers are learning how to operate and work with the new equipment.

The media frenzy created by the threat of a taxi ‘strike’ has succeeded in making the drivers’ concerns very public, and has effectively caught the attention of people who may not have been aware of the issues before. The drivers now have a golden opportunity to make sure that all of their concerns will finally be addressed with dignity and respect – as opposed to the way some of their concerns have been dealt with in the past. However – with all due respect! - any ‘wildcat’ strike date without any realistic timetable for serious discussions would be ill advised, to say the least. (I mean, from where I stand, the organizers have apparently just told the City of New York that unless their demands are met within two weeks, they are going to attempt to take the yellow cabs off the road – for two days, during one of the slowest times of the year. That ain’t exactly what I’d call ‘negotiating.’)

Before throwing down the gauntlet, we owe it to ourselves to at least check out some of the ‘road tested’ results first. After that, we’ll all have solid numbers and information to work with. Results are what count, and that’s the bottom line. Let’s keep the cabs rolling and the meters running – then take our results back to the table and talk.

Sincerely,
Michael Higgins
Publisher -Taxi Talk Newspaper
New York City