General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Great Complainer

From the September 2007 issue of the Chicago Dispatcher

The Great Complainer
One Chicago resident has mate it his mission to file complaints against cabdrivers - more than 600 in less than one year.
By Jonathan Bullington

As Chicago cabdrivers continue their pursuit of increased revenue and improved treatment from the Department of Consumer Services (DCS), one obstacle to affecting any such change has been the recent attention placed on passenger complaints against them. From the first of the year through August 28, DCS has received 6,758 complaints against cabdrivers made by members of the riding public. One such member of that public seems to have made it his mission to file complaints against cabbies - more than 600 in less than a year.

I first met Jeff at his downtown residence where we met to discuss his feelings towards cabdrivers. Before arriving, I was curious to see the type of person who would seemingly go out of his way to complain. I was also a little nervous that he wouldn't be too candid with me given the fact that I was interviewing him for a cabbie newspaper.

I sat in the lobby of his building for several minutes when he appeared - a short, middle-aged man who greeted me with a smile and a firm handshake. At first, Jeff was the one asking me questions, about the Chicago Dispatcher, it's readership, etc. With each answer I gave I felt closer to having him decline to talk further. However I was pleasantly surprised to see him open up and share with me his thoughts on Chicago's cabdrivers, their faults and why he does what he does.

Jeff's introduction to using 311 to file complaints began this past winter. He was walking downtown when he saw a cab traveling at a high rate of speed. He stopped the driver and told him “there were kids around.” This action led to a verbal altercation between Jeff and the driver, during which a police officer approached and told the cabdriver to leave. This same police officer opened his eyes the city's 311 system for filing complaints against cabdrivers.

Jeff lives and works downtown, so he doesn't need to rely on vehicles for transportation. He typically walks the same route to his job in sales. He also enjoys bicycling and rollerblading, both by himself and with his children. This means he constantly has to share streets with all types of vehicles, including cabs. Sharing with the latter does not sit well with Jeff.

“The problem is, people like me who live downtown, we have to walk with them (taxis),” he said. “Taxis don't follow the rules.”

“Gone are the days of the old black drivers who were polite,” he said. “Now, people from overseas, they want what America offers but they don't want to follow the rules. We accommodate people from other countries. At least follow the basic rules of society.”

What particularly bothered Jeff was that cabdrivers, whom he sees as rule-breakers, are now asking the city for more money.

“What irks me the most is they're asking for more money,” he said. “For what? To burn more gas?”

“If you want to speed, cut people off, don't expect people to give you money. They can't ask for more money and not follow the rules.”

Jeff's walk to work takes him by the train station at 500 W. Madison, a location that is ripe for cabdriver traffic. However, as some of you may or may not know, cabdrivers are only allowed to drop off passengers in front of the station on Madison, not pick up passengers. Despite a sign directing drivers of this rule, Jeff said he constantly sees drivers who “don't care.”

When he sees a cabdriver doing something wrong, like picking up a passenger in front of the train station at 500 W. Madison, or parking and waiting in a tow zone, Jeff will approach the cab, tap on the window if necessary, and inform the driver of his or her wrongdoing. Some drivers, he said, “act like they don't know.” Others, “when you say something, they get nasty with you.”

Sometimes, Jeff said drivers will ask who he is, to which he responds, “It doesn't matter who I am.”

“When you see someone doing something wrong, you do something about it,” he added. “Too many people look the other way.”

“It's just as much about attitude. Most every driver will give attitude.”

“I'm amazed at what they say when you ask to slow down because there's kids here.” He said some drivers have threatened violence against him, while others have made derogatory comments about his religion (he wears a Star of David around his neck).

Jeff said he has no plans of backing off his complaints. As we were speaking, he informed me of the 40 complaint forms he has on his desk at work waiting to be filed with DCS. His hope is that drivers will get fines and realize they need to stop what they're doing. Although he has not had to appear at a hearing yet, he said he would gladly do so if necessary.

At one point during our interview, we decided it would be best for me to accompany Jeff on his walk to work so that he could point out to me examples of cabdrivers breaking the rules. During the walk, I asked him if he ever thought about all the difficulties faced by cabdrivers, such as low wages, high expenses and the constant threat of injury, robbery or worse. While he acknowledged cabdrivers do have a tough job, he showed little in the way of understanding.

“No, I don't envy drivers. I know the job is tough, but there is no perfect job,” he said. “It is what you make of it.”

“They took this job knowing what it entails. No one's forcing you to drive a cab.” He added, “They should do what they are paid to do.”

I also asked Jeff if his brand of street justice applied to private cars as well. His response was clear.

“With private cars, you can't get a hearing on it. You can't file a complaint.”

He continued, “Private cars aren't asking for more money. A private person will move because it's the right thing to do.”

With cabdrivers, it was another story, according to Jeff.

“Cabdrivers think they are above the rules. Why do you not have to wait like everyone else?” he questioned.

Jeff went on to blame cabdrivers for certain problems.

“Cabdrivers are responsible for the majority of hit-and-runs and accidents in the city.”

He added, “When you see traffic backed up on Madison, it's usually because of cabs.”

During our walk to his office, Jeff took me to 500 W. Madison so he could show me the problem there with cabdrivers. However, the time we were there was light on cabbie traffic. A few cabs did pull up and look for a fare. When that would happen, Jeff would approach the cab and politely inform the driver that his current location was for drop offs only. The drivers I saw him speak with would look briefly confused before pulling away without a fight. A couple of cabs did stop to drop off passengers only to have people come to their cab for a ride. As he pointed this out to me, I asked him if part of the problem, at least at this location, was with passengers. After all, it was the passenger who approached the cab, not the other way around. While he did agree with my assessment, he was quick to point out that the drivers who were getting fares that way were only “screwing their buddies,” referring to the drivers waiting at the cabstand to the side of the station.

Before I left him, he told me that, in the past four or five days of our interview, drivers had been giving him little argument. His explanation? “I think they are starting to remember me.”