General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Advice for tomorrow's fare increase hearing

George's advice is excellent.

After 32 years of selling cab drivers' injury claims to Juries, I've learned a few lessons that I'd like to pass along that are going to be useful tomorrow:

1. Treat the committee members like they are your friends. They really are. They want you not to fold up shop and try to do other things for a living. The taxi trade is needed in a city like Chicago, and if facts are presented that are short and sweet - to the point - they will be heard with favor.

2. Treat them like you would somebody you like - you don't have a cup of coffee or a brewski with enemies, so treat them with respect that you would want back. Smile. It's painless. Look them in the eyes as you speak - it's okay to look at notes, but make sure you look at ALL OF THEM in the eyes. Don't neglecct anybody because it goes noticed.

3. Keep it short and stupid - the "KISS" approach works best of all. No point should take more than two sentences. It's good to have facts to back up what you are saying, but don't ramble. You'll lose them.

4. Come with notes about what you want to say - stay with your script - don't stray. Have facts to back up every point you want to make: i.e. the price of gas is now only double what it was at the time of the last fare increase, but economic indicators point to it being three times that price by the end of this year.

Carry it on a bit - The average cab driver getting 14 to the gallon in a Crown Vic on the dayside burns 10 to 12 gallons a shift, and has seen his income go down $15 to $20 per day just on gasoline since the last spike in prices.

Get the point? Keep it short and stupid - just enough so you can be understood by other people who can understand how you are under the gun and need an increase to survive.

Selling your points requires preparation. Don't go in there and expect to speak extempraneously. That means not to shoot from the seat of your pants. Write down what you want to cover. Have facts ready to back up your claims. Don't grind an axe with the committee - just give them the facts, short and sweet.

Donald Nathan

Re: Advice for future's fare increase hearing

"I have a suggestion," said the driver, Larry Meister. "How about, 'You have a right to treat the driver with respect'?"

Seeking the right to a smooth ride
By Matt Viser, Globe Staff | October 24, 2007