General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Right to Unionize & (NLRB ) Federal Law (Those Pesky S.O.D.s)

Yi,

Thanks for the invitation. I will take you up on it soon, but not until after this weekend. I still owe you a coffee. Where and when do you live/work now so I can get an idea of a convenient spot to meet?

-MIKE FOULKS

Re: Re: Take the Seattle Model?

Mr. MIKE FOULKS,

Have you ever read your e-mails (chinatownmike@yahoo.com)?

The "Seattle Model" is under the web http://www.metrokc.gov/exec/news/2007/1010taxi.aspx

Do I have to interprete for you?

Who is begging and crying? You tell me. Anyone is lying again?

'Give us 5 percent, give us 10 percent. . . . Make a compromise and give us something,' driver Mike Foulks said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-taxi-fares_weboct24,1,4623447.story

Cabbies beg city to raise fares
By Whitney Woodward | Tribune staff reporter
1:30 PM CDT, October 23, 2007

P.S. I again ask you to more clearly identify your history as a cabdriver or a limo driver so that all of us may better judge your qualifications and advice.

Again, who are you as "us", and to "judge"? Don't you have somthing better to think about?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Mr. Tang,

Incompetent cab companies should have their medallion licenses revoked by the city, I agree, but such an action would certainly be costly due the the lawsuits such an action would incur; drivers should first "vote with their feet" and continually evaluate and take better opportunities with better owners.

Cabdrivers have the right to a "Union" or organize and assemble in any legal fashion; nothing needs to be "given".

Inasmuch as "Chicago is not NYC", "Seattle is no Chicago." Please be more specific about defining the "Seattle Model".

Who is begging and crying?

-MIKE FOULKS

P.S. I again ask you to more clearly identify your history as a cabdriver or a limo driver so that all of us may better judge your qualifications and advice.

Re: Re: Re: Take the Seattle Model?

Yi,

I read all of my e-mails, but maybe not as quickly as you would like me to. I still spend most of my day away from a computer and in my cab.

Thank you for the Seattle Model info site.

You do not have to interpret it for me, nor do you have to make such a smart-ass comment. It's obvious to me that you spend much more time surfing on the computer than I do. This is probably the best thing you do that has helped me.

In your original 'Take the Seattle Model?' post you ended with 'Stop begging and stop crying'. I think you should have come to the public hearing to hear what I said (straight from the horses' mouth) and not rely on the Chicago Tribune headline writers (or the Sun-Times headline) to inform you. Were you there? (If no, why not?) I don't know of anyone who is begging or crying. You said it. You tell me. I don't recall accusing anyone of lying so how could I say so 'again'?

'Us' means all of the people reading the posts and all of the people I am relating to on this issue, and yes, we each have a natural and normal ability to judge each other. Perhaps I should have used the word 'evaluate' to be less offensive to you? Can you at least state a reason why you won't? (Even a simple, "I don't want to" would suffice.)

-MIKE FOULKS

Re: Re: Re: Re: Take the Seattle Model?

Mike,

I agree with what you just said. Maybe I missed something but why is Yi taking shots at you?

Yi, if you are looking for the worst thing to come out of the transportation committee meeting, it certainly would not have been when Mike asked the transportation committee for a fare increase.

The message is clear from the city: Now isn't the time for a fare increase but they're looking into ways to counter rising gas prices.

Knowing this, what is the best course of action for drivers and owners to take?

George Lutfallah

Steal... the Seattle Model?

George, Yi's okay, he was just misled a little by the Tribune story which characterized me as a beggar.

Which I guess is better than a liar or a thief, which is what this "formulaic" or "fluctuating" meter rate is going to turn some drivers into.

We all know how confusing it already is for drivers to sufficiently explain and calculate the various extra charges and meter-and-a-half surcharges for passengers.

Now the City suggests that the meter rate could be at one level in the morning, but a "trigger" would require a change by the afternoon???

Based on whether or not the managers of the gas stations at North and Ashland or Halsted and Wrightwood decide to change the price that day???

The overwhelming majority of cabdrivers who are honest can and must be honest with ourselves here:

There's a few cabdrivers who will milk this confusion for every illegal overcharge its worth!!!

Another detriment to the trust and honor this vocation demands. Our reputations further ruined by a few bad actors in a brand new way. Great idea... NOT!

The City needs to quit trying to re-invent the wheel when it comes to the taxi business. Instead of saving anybody any cost or aggravation, its actually costing everybody more.

Excuse my French, but **** a fluctuating meter rate or a formulaic trigger or whatever buzzword they'll come up with to pass this fart.

We need a significant, permanent increase ASAP.

The only trigger we need with regards to the gas price is one that triggers a Public Hearing, instead of forcing us to gather 10% of drivers signatures at a time when any of us can least afford it.

Melissa, Ted, and I have nearly broke ourselves along the way here. Let the City know that means we are personally invested in this now, not quitting.

Despite Ted's posts otherwise, he can be reactivated anytime both Melissa and I ask together, I guarantee. And he will be well-rested and well-treated.

The only compromise we accept is on the actual amount of the increase. The increase is to be permanent. If gas goes up to a certain point, it triggers another public hearing.

I'll post more on why this gas-increase-rate-increase fluctuating trigger formula is a really bad precedent in terms of public policy later.

Problematic. Creates more problems than it solves.

Keep it simple. Simplify. Here's a thought:

All suburbs from airports are meter-and-a-half. Mingle. Discuss.

-MIKE FOULKS

Re: Re: Chicago Sun-Times article about Public Hearing (published Oct. 24)

Mr. Weiss,

The 'meter increase monkey' is most definitely not 'off their backs'. There were about a dozen, serious cabdrivers who testified at the public hearing and about a dozen more who were also present. Were you even there, Wolf? Why didn't you publicly testify?

If you were more in touch with cabdrivers, Wolf, maybe some of them could tell you how corrupt "governments" around the world have signed huge, lengthy contracts (some for as long as 99-years) at the expense of the people. Are you suggesting we all make such a "deal"? Are you or anyone else legally able to sign such a contract on the behalf of cabdrivers with the Mayor?

How many cabdrivers are registered members of the CPTDA? Maybe you could each sign a "deal" with the Mayor.

I again ask you- what do you think the next step should be and what will you personally do?

-MIKE FOULKS

Being In Touch

Hold your horses, slow down, Mike. I know, it takes a while to "detox" after you've looked power square in the eye.

Allen's eyes looked cold, like a shark's eyes to me. Brrrrr. Good show, dude!

That "monkey" gets a break for up to 60 days, I believe, according to Chicago Municipal Code. So they can put the "monkey" down to about December 23 before they are required to say YES or NO.

Anybody for a little wagering pool on when and how many points of increase, if any?

I was not at the Committee Hearing because I was helping people fight with their scum-dog landlords to help get illegal & dangerous conditions repaired and to help recover some security deposits from deadbeat landlords who are trying to rip off the tenants' money -- my "day job" for the Center for Renters' Rights."

-------

Corrupt or not, you, we, all of us have to understand with whom and what we are dealing -- the government and bureaucracy of one of the largest, richest, nicest, most successful, thriving American cities, if not in the entire world. Top class all the way.

That means the elected Mayor, the City Council and its committees and the Mayor's appointed commissioners are the top echelon of one of the meanest, leanest urban political systems in the world.

This means they have the money, the guns and the lawyers to handle any situation, even taxicab driver organizations looking for a meter increase or anything else.

This is why the Mayor is properly addressed "Your Honor." It is the same reason one addresses a judge in court as "Your Honor."

Whether or not you respect them, you still address them as Your Honor.

My point is that we don't have an equally big and strong "Your Honor" of our own -- anyone who can go toe-to-toe, in eye-ball-to-eyeball negotiations with these "super pros" of big city government.

Chicago taxicab drivers and owners do not have anyone who has legal, certified power of representation, like union officials.

We got you and we got Melissa. God love you and keep you strong! Both of you need all the help you can get. (That's not meant as criticism!)

The alternative to a union? In the rest of the business world, businesses large and small form professional associations like, for example an association of real estate developers, or gasoline retailers, or software developers, or taxicab owners -- just about any type of business enterprise.

Each of these associations provides numerous services for its members and even hires consultants for various functions of the businesses.

Even taxicab owners hire, accountants, lawyers, facilitators who take care of even the simplest things such as keeping the little one-man cab corporation properly registered.

These associations also have legal representatives, sometimes lawyers, sometimes professionals from the type of businesses in the association.

When these lawyers, consultants ans outstanding professionals meet with government or regulators they are called lobbyists.

Anyway, a professional society with some lawyers and some money can accomplish for self-employed cab drivers and owners the same things a union can accomplish for workers in a factory or a retail store. No NLRB certification required.

-------

Even if I had been at the hearings, I would not have testified this time because I had nothing to say. I have been saying what I have to say for almost a year now. So far, all I've gotten for it is ostracized, criticized, maligned, used, abused and marginalized -- head aches, heartaches and pains in the rump.

So I too am beginning to realize further discussion does not fill the gas tank.

Although I do have a lot of gas in me, it don't run the car.

I, for one, would not want the awesome responsibility of holding the fates and fortunes of over 10,000 taxicab drivers in my hands. Got any nominees?

----

Many people are misinformed and confused about the Chicago Professional Taxicab Drivers' Association.

The CPTDA, of which currently I am not a member, is not an open membership organization. The CPTDA is a taxi workers rights advocacy group. WHat are they doing? If you need a copy of CPTDA's articles of incorporation, I will email it to you. Let me know.

My role, and that of the CPTDA does not necessarily include activism for the purposes of organizing drivers and owners, although I and former board member, Ted did take on some organizing projects.

As far as cutting any deals with the Mayor goes, I think the only deal he would agree is for me and/or the CPTDA to shut up and get out of town.

The next step. Well, lets all make sure we have our feet firmly on the ground, our heads out of the clouds and our eyes squarely focused on the prize.

This calls for a situation analysis.

As you are undoubtedly aware, the taxicab drivers and owners have now banged on the castle gate twice this year to seek respite and relief from the ravages of the economic times.

The method employed in June and yesterday was the same -- the old ad hoc populist movement headed by one or two dynamic leaders. Before Melissa, before you and me and before Prateek there was big Steve Wiedersberg. Before him and us, there were others -- yes, all heroes in their own right.

---------

Current CPTDA board members Diane, Raja and Salem all have a long history of taxi workers rights advocacy work -- they too are counted as honored heroes.

-------

Between the lot of us, we have love, courage and intelligence -- just like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz! Tin Man with the heart, Lion with the Courage and Scarecrow with the brains.

So we got what it takes.

What we need is an effective presentation -- who, what, where, when, how and why.

You know, make them an offer they can't refuse.

What is that offer? I guarantee there is not one of us who can answer that.

But as sure as I live and breath, I believe with all my heart if we were to put our heads together we could put that effective presentation together -- and go to city hall together and put on our song and dance and get that meter increase, that inflation trigger, insurance, pension benefits, those fair and just rules and regulations I've been threatening and complaining about.

Oh my God, I'm talking issues again instead of taunting, complaining or threatening....what is this world coming to? I might have to call the Pope in Rome and tell him about this miracle!

OH, and that Mr. Weiss, please, that's my dad!

since you now have survived your first TRIAL BY FIRE (the hearings), you are officially part of the taxi world in-crowd and you may call me Wolf.

Everyone who testified, all of you who were there are in big with me - you've earned place in my heart!

For now -- govern yourselves accordingly.

Speaking of governing ourselves, Pete Engers wrote that we all need to do some growing up. I sneered at the time but he may actually have something there.

Maybe we can act more grown up if we establish a Code of Ethics for persons and associations in the organizing arena. Sort of like rules of conduct to facilitate working together, joint ventures, official positions, backing and building each other up, and so on.

Hey if a bunch of old rompin' stompin' fighting and pillaging knights could sit down t a large table and make effective decisions, why can't we? We don't even need armor or swords!

Although I think, if called upon to do so, our Honorable Commissioner could breath fire....

Mike Foulks says this is a Must-Read from Wolf

Wolf, this is the best comment you have posted yet. Everybody should carefully read and re-read this commentary. Please continue with more thoughtful and informational postings like this one. Thank you very much.

-MIKE FOULKS