General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Show teeth! True Old School Style

Being “Deserving” has got to be tough. What were you wearing while driving yesterday? Did you look like an ambassador?

What is the average opinion of cab drivers? “Watch it here he comes!” – “He must not have seen you, he was on the phone.” – “Hey look at the big fight and the honking horns! Those cabbies!” – “I don’t own the car – I told the owner.” Who said ANYTHING when the Taco Bell cab driver commercial came out? Speeding, jumping hills in Seattle, cutting corners, sliding and breaking hard. The guy with the sandwich was wearing his – the Taco Bell Wrap lunch guy had his under control – even thru the “Crazy Taxi Ride.”

Who do I think the Transportation Committee will listen to? Public opinion, our public's!

Let's take some ownership. Ownership includes responsibility, it may not be my job, but it is our collective job – ah… so it is my job. Might be my collective job to get to meetings too, if I felt it mattered. Why don’t I feel it matters? I probably cannot find a parking place, It’s ok I deserve it anyway. Ever heard a child in the store screaming about the thing they want? They feel they deserve it. We never heard or saw the one in line with the thing. They did what it took to get the thing, clearly they had the objective in mind and set the goal and attained it. They worked in the environment they were in and adapted to achieve the thing.

Why is there no perspective? "We" transport influential folks everyday. "We" deliver everyday people, everyday. You just never know who is in the back seat. "We" have a captive audience. Where else can a candidate or his people have "One on One" time with the masses? What other industry can afford it? "We" are the ambassadors. We open as many doors as possible, not sit on the phone in the front seat disinterested. We hand a nice respectful printed card to each passenger we open the door for, can we do that? Is there enough room in my cab for a little “Hope you had a great ride, I’d like you to go to this website and tell the city what you think – it’s REALLY important to me and my family.” A little Public Opinion, no?.

This Union / Association / Committee idea with elections - getting organized take it to the next level. If we all followed our chosen leader - respectfully - a new phone operator at the local dispatch office could lead us into the next phase of public awareness. With all the great talent looking to improve our position in the world – giving freely the precious time they are willing to forfeit - We will pay them nothing and little or no respect. Maybe there are dues, maybe we want our own website? Maybe we start in your garage and end up on LaSalle Street in 10 years, we will never know until WE start. WE is who? Kill the apathy you see everywhere.

Whose in charge here anyway? How do we earn the trust? How can we get the drivers together and following the lead? How about a little politics’ anyone? I don’t smoke but I can get my suit cleaned – but so can you – Mr. Ambassador.

One more thought, ever have a sales person with a great idea - worth millions - come to you about the huge driver population? I tell them not to worry - the drivers will decide if it sells, not him not me. It's great good fast rapid impact - but unaccepted it sits gathering dust. You know it's true. Let's build it so they will come, not sit on the shelf- there's enough dust here anyway.