General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thank you

In reference to the posting entitled - Advice for tomorrows fare increase hearing

It was so encouraging to see the biggest pit-bullies around town with all the tough talk unite for a common cause, being to prepare drivers for the hearing for the fare increase.

It's true, many mistakes were made at the hearing by several of us. But I think that if we are able to understand that none of us are perfect, admit to and learn from eachothers mistakes and are willing to listen to eachother, we can get somewhere.

Even if it were only for a short moment in time, it was really nice to see what I hoped was possible but wasn't quite sure of.

Thank you

Re: Thank you

I'm sorry I wasn't able to hear Peter Enger or Melissa Callahan speak to the committee. I arrived in the middle of Steve Wiedersburg (or is it Wiedersberg?) making his comments. I took from the tone of his comments regarding "some now, some later" exchanges with the Aldermen on that idea that this number "25%" seems objectionably high to many. Any charcaterization of my testimony as "begging" is incorrect, but in truth, we are "begging" until we have enough power to make meaningful demands. Let's not be so naive to think that all we have to do is make a reasonable case; this is politics, where's there's something in it for everybody, except for the losers. The game is controlled by money, and the trump card is registered voters (who can be influenced by campaigns, which again cost money). We have a lot of special trump cards in our deck, in fact, the highest trump cards: unregistered voters. You play these cards by organizing them into new, registered voters. If you don't play them in this manner, they are worthless. This isn't the only thing we need to do, nor will I even pretend that I know everything that we need to do. The wisdom of a group shall always prevail if the group is fair to each individual and accords him the proper level of respect. This doesn't mean that anybody who shows up is equal to those who show up with the provable support of others. Be wary of outsiders. They may have their own agenda.

I would invite anybody who was at the hearing to criticize my "performance", but it would better to do so with a private e-mail (chinatownmike@yahoo.com). In fact, let's not criticize each other too much publicly, but make sure we are receptive to each other's criticisms.

We all owe Melissa Callahan a debt of gratitude for sparking this latest situation, but we can't rely on one person to ensure success. Again, I want to know from cabdrivers on what they think we should do next, and what are they personally going to do.

I think all of us should make it perfectly clear to all cabdrivers than we were not "DENIED" anyhting at the public hearing. The meeting was adjourned without a vote. The possibility of a fare increase is as alive as it has ever been, but who can the City reasonably negotiate a compromise with? Only when the average cabdrivers begins to show a measurable level of participation in the process will the City respond to our "begging", "requests", "proposals", or "demands".

That is the obvious job of all "organizers" in this very near future. Organize cabdrivers and select a group to negotiate or approve a reasonable agreement. It's never "now or never". It's always "now and always." So let's do it now.

Anybody who hasn't sent me an e-mail message should do so, if only for me to know you're out there and to be able to send you messages. Thank you.

-MIKE FOULKS