General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reyes: No Fare Increase

From the Chicago Dispatcher, November 2007

Reyes: No Fare Increase
No action taken at City Council hearing on fare increase, proposed ordinance changes

By: Jonathan Bullington

Chicago cabdrivers will again have to wait for city government to decide what, if any, financial help they will be given.

With more than a month passed since the submission of petitions for a fare increase and separate proposed taxicab ordinances changes, the Chicago City Council's Transportation Committee finally held a hearing Tuesday, October 23, to address both submissions and, after listening to testimony from drivers, activists and Department of Consumer Services (DCS) Commissioner Norma Reyes, the Committee decided to hold off on making any decision until further options are explored.

Despite the circulation of hundreds of fliers informing drivers of the hearing, only 25 or so were in attendance. Of those, 10 testified before the Committee, mainly citing rising fuel costs, increased expenses and heavy ticketing by police and DCS inspectors as reasons why a fare increase is necessary.

Perhaps the most compelling of all the testimonies given by drivers came from cabdriver Sayed Ilyas, who provided the Committee with examples of how the lack of a meter increase has affected his personal life.

“My family life is suffering,” Ilyas said. “For three years, I've never attended any of my children's school events because I'm too busy driving a cab…I've never taken my kids to a ball game or watched a game with them.”

After cabdrivers had their say, the final testimony of the day came from Commissioner Reyes who, along with Deputy Commissioner Shellie Riedle, provided data analyzed by DCS over a two week period. Taking time for breaks into consideration, Reyes said an average driver's shift is 11 hours long. During that time, drivers averaged 22 fares. Reyes next addressed two main driver expenses: gas prices and lease rates. Looking at two years of data, Reyes stated her familiar position that gas prices are volatile and do fluctuate, adding that the average retail price for gas is currently on the decline.

Although not denying the impact gas prices have on drivers, Reyes made it clear that the volatility of the market coupled with the static nature of lease rates meant that her department does not support a fare increase. She did, however, express interest in devising a formula for enacting a gas surcharge. Citing Seattle's surcharge policy, Reyes said her office was looking into a formula by which a surcharge is added if gas prices reach a certain level and can be removed if prices decline.

As for some of the proposed ordinance changes submitted by veteran cabdriver George Kasp and Chicago Dispatcher publisher George Lutfallah, Reyes offered little in the way of support. Specifically, she said she thought it premature to pass an ordinance making half of all new medallions reserved for individual owners only.

“In Chicago, about 2,500 of the 6,900 medallions are independent owner/operators,” Reyes told the Committee. “In 2001, the market fell and drivers and owners suffered…the health of the industry is rebounding. To create a sub-class at this time is risky.”

Reactions to the hearing were mixed. Some drivers were disappointed with the support of their colleagues.

“Driver turn out was pathetically poor,” Kasp said. “Politicians know how to read an issue and a crowd.”

Kasp said that, while it seemed reasonable to have an automatic formula for granting a surcharge, it could be problematic.

“It seems there is going to be something worked out. If the Commissioner works out a formula, it's better than nothing,” he said.

Veteran cabdriver Steve Weidersberg, who testified at the hearing, said he thought 24 percent was too much to ask for a fare increase.

“They must be sick, lame and lazy, half-witted and crazy to think they're getting a 24-percent increase,” he said, adding that a better idea would be to grant drivers a 21-percent meter increase over a year and a half.

“Twenty-four percent is like getting hit in the face with a brick.”

Cabdriver Melissa Callahan, who also testified at the hearing, expressed frustration with the city's lack of action.

“The city did make a decision at the hearing,” she said. “They did not decide on a meter increase. They did not decide on whether or not to pass proposed amendments that would include fair opportunity for lease drivers to purchase their own medallions amongst many of our other important rights that were included in the proposed amendments to rules and regulations. What they did decide on was to send a message to all cabdrivers that our basic needs and rights don't matter to them. We are in no way a priority to city officials.”

Other drivers were more optimistic in their thoughts on the outcome.

“We did not expect the city to do anything, so we're not surprised,” said cabdriver Peter Enger. He said the hearing did give him and other cabdrivers a clearer picture as to the Commissioner's stance on these issues. The next step, according to Enger, is to analyze the date given by Reyes at the hearing with the purpose of refuting it.

“I feel very happy at this because we know how to counter her figures.”

Re: Reyes: No Fare Increase

this is sad ... all politics...

Re: Re: Reyes: No Fare Increase

Another strikeeee!

but now, must be a strong one, without thraitors!

OH MY GOD PEOPLE!!! Are all elected officials in Chicago FREAKIN’ IDIOTS?

Name: The Informant
Date Posted: Nov 28, 07 - 10:33 PM
Collected Comments On Reyes’ “NO” to meter increase:

Have they lost their ever loving freakin’ minds?

This City Council meeting was to show the general public that cabbies can stick together for justice,” swore one driver.

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with a raise!!! It’s freaking criminal and that’s it.

This makes me so **** angry I’m going MAD over it.

Someone needs to take some of these people and wash their mouths out with soap.

Do you want to know who the victims are here? It’s Mr. Ms. Cab Driver!!! They’re being toyed with by the likes of Reyes and Allen.

Someone needs to look at how he got put into this position in the first place!

Reyes? Allen? Shut the f***k up please?

Mr. Allen, you are in fact a hero among blooming idiots. I applaud you for the changes you have made in your life. I think you are a role model for others, whose past is less than pristine. But I don’t think you should be in this particular position.
Were I in a position to decide if Mr. Allen and Ms, Reyes deserved a raise to help them cover their increased costs and pay them 100 grand a year I would do so. I think what they have accomplished is spectacular.

**** this makes me hotter than the Smoking Ban. I just want to ******* SCREAM.