General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Complaint against the Dept. of Aviation...there are more!

Thank you, Melissa Callahan, for posting this complaint of Mr. Zafar Bhatti's...

I am aware of many inappropriate acts the 'starters' (Standard Parking employees) have committed against Chicago cabdrivers. There problem is systemic; it is more than a few incidents here and there.

I can not post the specifics about a particular incident because I've yet to have the permission of the victim to do so. I will describe the incident in detail when I get that permission. I can say that it has similarities to the problem Mr. Bhatti encountered.

Standard Parking employees have abused their authorities many, many times, especially at O'Hare. The biggest problems stem from their general ignorance of the specific rules and regulations all of us must observe. They sometimes behave in manner which suggest that they don't care what the rules or regulations are anyways...they are the 'lords' and the cabdrivers are the 'peasants'.

Please keep us updated here on Cabmarket.com as Mr. Bhatti's complaint gets resolved. I anticipate that the AUPD and the CCO should promote the installation of a regular, obvious method for cabdrivers to resolve complaints against Standard Parking employees and Department of Aviation employees (and any other 'employees' we encounter at the airports in the course of our duties). Right now, most of us are 'in the dark' on how to properly complain and we just 'take the abuse'.

Please thank Mr. Bhatti for having the courage and the determination to stand up to these 'airport bullies'. Many of us will stand with him.

-Mike Foulks, President, Chicago Cabdriver Organization (CCO)

P.S. I would like all cabdrivers to continue this posting with specific problems they have had with Standard Parking employees, Department of Aviation employees, or anyone else at O'Hare or Midway.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

December 6, 2007

Debbie Capraro
Deputy Commissioner of Aviation
P.O. Box 66142
Chicago, Illinois 60666

Dear Ms. Capraro:

My name is Zafar Bhatti and I am a licensed Chauffer in the City of Chicago. I own my medallion and mostly work at O’Hare airport. I want to draw your attention to an incident that occurred at O’Hare on 11/20/07, Tuesday night around 12:20am which involved a Dept. of Aviation employee namely Walter (last name unknown). I waited in line in the staging area, took my ticket and went to the lower level to terminal one to pick up my passenger. From there I was directed to proceed to terminal 3, as I approached terminal three because of O’Hare construction one Standard Parking employee directed me to go towards the inside lane. That’s when Walter came to me and yelled “What the **** are you doing on this side?” As I tried to explain why I was there and who directed me there he continued his racist tyrant calling me a “******* terrorist.” Finally, he kicked me out of the line for apparently no reason. Distraught and shaken, I left the terminal and went home. I have been debating these last two weeks whether I should take this matter to the higher authorities. Finally, I got my thoughts together and am writing this letter to you. I have witnesses to this incident. But I think the mere fact that one of the aviation employees was so rude, ruthless and unprofessional was disheartening. Most cab drivers are gentle and civilized people.

I would greatly appreciate if you dig into this matter and get to the bottom of this so that this kind of incident doesn’t happen again. Also, because these people are representing the city and should be held to higher standards. The drivers should not be humiliated for no apparent reason.

If you wish to get a hold of me to further inquire, please feel free to contact me at (773) xxx-xxxx.
Finally, I appreciate you looking into this matter on my behalf.

Sincerely,
Zafar Bhatti
1S2 XXXX Lane
XXXX Park, Illinois 60XXX

cc: Shelly Riedel, Deputy Commissioner of Consumer Services
Clarence N. Wood, Chairman of Chicago Commission on Human Rights
David Hoffman, City of Chicago Inspector General
Keith Chambers, Illinois Human Rights Commission
Angelina Huerta, Governor’s Commission on Discrimination and Hate Crimes

Re: Re: Complaint against the Dept. of Aviation...there are more!

Sometimes direct legal action fails to provide an effective remedy for civil wrongs. As a practical matter, Zafar Bhatti can do little save to pen his letter complaining of "Walter" the airport bully.

Although he has witnesses who can say what they saw, in a courtroom, what they heard said would be inadmissible hearsay. And the damage done was to dignity more so than a pocketbook; it makes it impractical to pursue the matter save for complaining to someone who just might listen. Perhaps his letter will hit the mark.

THIS is what an organization (AUPD, CCO, whatever) can step in to do with some real muscle. Until the driver organizations pick up the gauntlet, Bhatti and other drivers like him are likely going to continue to be abused. Bhatti's plight is an open invitation to the strong to stand up for the weak.