General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sticky --- You make the call - solving the problem of the cab driver v. the cab owner

THE SOLUTION FOR THE CAB DRTVER IS TO SUE THE OWNER IN SMALL CLAIMS COURT, ESPECIALLY SO IF THE OWNER IS A CORPORATION. READ ILLINOIS SUPREME COURT RULES 281 THROUGH 289, ESPECIALLY SO RULE 286(b). THE COST OF DOING THIS IS MINIMAL: i.e. $12.50 FOR A 6 PERSON JURY DEMAND, $15 FOR CERTIFIED MAIL SERVICE OF PROCESS, AND ALL COURT COSTS CAN BE AWARDED ALONG WITH A JUDGMENT.

NO OWNER IN HIS RIGHT MIND COULD AFFORD TO DEFEND THIS KIND OF ACTION, AND THE LIKELY RESULT WOULD BE A VICTORY FOR THE DRIVER WHETHER IN FRONT OF A JURY OR BY WAY OF AN INFORMAL HEARING IN THE DALEY CENTER.

In a message dated 12/16/2007 12:45:40 P.M. Central Standard Time, george@chicagodispatcher.com writes:

Don,

You solicited. That gets deleted. Nice try.

Did you notice that your other posting is up there still?

I'll give you an opportunity to retract and sincerely apologize.

Regards,
George Lutfallah
Chicago Dispatcher

Dear George:

Nonsense. I solicited nothing. I just said I knew a lawyer who'd volunteer time to draw a complaint for the poor mope cabbie. The guy could draw his own complaint as a small claim and get essentially the same result.

The last thing I would ever do on your Forum or ANYWHERE would be to "solicit". I don't have a burning need to do any work at all, even pro bono publico work.

There is nothing to retract. And I have no reason to supplicate myself to you. Read it again, and you'll understand the point. Solicitation would be something more like seeking out business. I may have given advice - a solution to a legal problem - but I certainly was not trying to foment litigation, nor was I seeking to represent the driver OR the owner.

Donald Nathan

Re: Sticky --- You make the call - solving the problem of the cab driver v. the cab owner

Now you're going to resort to misrepresenting the truth?

You said, "I know a lawyer willing to take a few minutes to put that complaint together. Although some people think he's not too good a lawyer, he's drawn well over 10,000 complaints over the years. The cost of filing in a matter likely to involve less than $1,000 would be minimal and would be awarded as costs in addition to a judgment."

Don,

I gave you a chance to apologize. You didn't take it.

Good day.

George Lutfallah