General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Not Enough Cabs

Chicago Tribune- March 31, 2008

Last Sunday night I witnessed chaos in the lower level of O'Hare airport at terminal 3. I can only assume that the same scene played out in the other terminals too.

I live in the suburbs and regularly travel for business. I usually have no problem getting a cab back home upon returning to Chicago. For some unknown reason, on Sunday night when I arrived past 11 p.m., none of the suburban cab companies I called had cabs to send to O'Hare. The line of people waiting for cabs to the city stretched through half of the terminal. There were hundreds and possibly thousands of people in line, and thousands more milling around inside the terminal. Limo lines were similar in length. There were hundreds of people lining the arrivals lanes outside waiting to be picked up by whatever suburban cabs were operating at the time. After trying to get a cab, limo, or any form of transportation to the suburbs for over an hour, I woke up my wife at home who thankfully "rescued" me and picked me up.

I feel truly sorry for those who had no other choice but to navigate this system, particularly those coming to the city for the first time. Believe me, if I was a first time visitor to Chicago and was exposed to that scene Sunday night, it would truly be my last visit to this city.

Someone needs to do a better job there, or else quit wasting money on advertising to bring visitors to Chicago.

By: Joseph Islinger
Des Plaines, Ill.

[Chicago Tribune Opinion Editorial]

Re: Not Enough Cabs

We don't need more cabs! Just because you had one experience on a busy night doesn't mean you need to crash the industry.

Most of the time there are HUNDREDS of cabs waiting at O'Hare for passengers. Where are YOU then?

Too many new drivers cos city keeps issuing new chauffer's license!

if u see cab shortage once or on rare occassion at airport, that doesn't mean we got not enough cabs.

Infact, there are just too many cabs in chicago these days, u can barely make few hundred a week for yourself after lease.

when we drive we have 9 other empty cabs infront of me and 9 other empty cabs behind me on just one street everyday and night.

cabbies cut each other off to pick one passenger and some too desparate and make illegal U Turn on busy street and risk getting hundreds of$ worth ticket.

There are too many cabs and that's why bussiness have been slow since late 2005.

if too many cabs and also high gas price, bussiness won't get better, it will get worst.