General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
City Proposes Gas Surcharge

From the Chicago Dispatcher, April 2008

City Proposes Gas Surcharge
City Council Transportation Committee will hear testimony for/against proposed gasoline surcharge Monday, April 7 at 11:30 in City Hall

By: Jonathan Bullington

As inflated gas prices continue to suffocate Chicago's cabdrivers, the Department of Consumer Services (DCS) released its long awaited plans for initiating a gas surcharge - plans which now await review at a City Council Transportation Committee hearing Monday, April 7.

Holding true in comparison to the Seattle gas surcharge referenced by DCS Commissioner Norma Reyes during last fall's fare increase hearing, Chicago's proposed gas surcharge ordinance would add $0.50 per fare when the average retail price for gas (as determined by AAA's Daily Fuel Gauge Report) hits $2.70/gallon for seven consecutive days, and another $0.50 when the average retail price hits $3.20 for seven consecutive days. If the average price falls below $3.20 for seven consecutive days, but stays above $2.70, the surcharge would fall back to $0.50. The surcharge would expire if the average price fell below $2.70 for seven consecutive days. (As of April 1, AAA's Daily Fuel Gauge Report has the average retail price for gas in Chicago at $3.467).

If passed, this ordinance would give the Commissioner immediate authority to institute the surcharge via taxi industry advisory notice, eliminating the old time-consuming and often ineffective method of petitioning City Council. It also outlines the penalties for violating the rules of the surcharge. Those found guilty of a violation - such as applying the surcharge before a taxi advisory notice is issued, or applying a $1.00 surcharge when the $0.50 version is required - would be fined no less than $100 and no more than $500 per offense, with each day in violation constituting a separate offense.

Sticking with fines, this ordinance proposal would increase the range of fines to $25 minimum and $1,000 maximum, up from $25 and $750 respectively. Also fines would increase to $75 minimum and $1,000 maximum for licensees of vehicles deemed “unsafe for operation” or “unfit for public use,” up from $50 and $750 respectively.

Other Changes
-Applications for a public chauffeur license will be denied if the applicant has had their chauffeur license revoked for any reason within the 5-year period prior to the application's filing date.
-A chauffeur who fails to make a “timely request” for a hearing and is determined guilty of a violation by the Commissioner can have their license revoked.
-A chauffeur license can be suspended if the Commissioner “has knowledge that a licensee has been charged with the commission of a felony…” Such suspension would continue until a final decision of innocence or guilt is made.
-The suburbs of Burbank and Skokie will no longer be meter-and-a-half fares.

Reactions from drivers to these ordinance proposals have been a mix of acceptance and anger. While some welcome the help, others decree the system as an unnecessary confusion and potential liability.

“People will not understand at first,” said cabdriver Benjamin A., “especially people from the train stations. Eventually they will, but in the meantime, more will take buses or walk.”

Drivers at O'Hare told us the small amount of money would do nothing to compensate for high gas prices. Instead, the surcharge's complexities would only create extra revenue for the city in fines on drivers found in violation of the surcharge. Instead, as a few drivers insisted, the city should just raise the basic meter.

Still other drivers expressed their sheer anger with what they see as the city's scraps, especially as fines are increased, pointing out that - on one hand - a surcharge can only be increased $0.50, while - on the other hand - fines would be increased $250. These drivers feared a surcharge would only give passengers another reason to file a complaint leading to more drivers having to attempt to defend themselves at 400 W. Superior.

Again, the City Council Transportation Committee will hold a hearing on these ordinance proposals Monday, April 7 at 11:30 a.m. Any driver wishing to express their opinions on any of these proposals are welcome and encouraged to do so at the hearing.

Re: City Proposes Gas Surcharge

We needed this a long time ago.

I am posting this for my dad Salah. He is a taxi driver in Chicago and he was just reading the surcharge story. He's not that good at typing or using the internet so he asked me to post for him. He is glad the city is doing something finally about gas prices.

I'm going to have to teach him how to do this himself so he doesn't pull me away from my tv shows when he wants to read cabmarket

Yasmina and Salah

i said it before and i'll say it again. we need a fare increase. this surcharge is going to be confusing.

Re: Re: City Proposes Gas Surcharge

the city is just going to use this as a chance to give us more fines.

Re: Re: Re: City Proposes Gas Surcharge

"the city is just going to use this as a chance to give us more fines."

That's silly. If the city gives us a surcharge but you don't want it, you don't have charge your customers. But don't tell me that I shouldn't be able to add on extras for gasoline just because you are afraid of getting tickets.

The word will be out when the surcharge is on or off and only drivers who will try to scam will be caught, and rightfully so.

Re: Re: Re: Re: City Proposes Gas Surcharge

Hey N. Gadfrey ~

I think you are the one who is silly if you think the city isn't going to look for opportunities to fine drivers on this surcharge issue.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: City Proposes Gas Surcharge

Same old crap. It's all a conspiracy. Gas prices have gone up and the city wants to give us relief in the form of a surcharge. Accept it and move on. Some of you people astound me. You want a surcharge and when the city finally gets off its ass to give you one, you complain about it.

If I were the city and heard all this silly **** I would say, "Fine, you guys don't want it? No problem." Then I would go to lunch talk to my other friends in the city about what a bunch of ingrates are driving taxicabs in Chicago.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: City Proposes Gas Surcharge

Whatever guy. The fine for violating the surcharge is a minimum of $100. That comes out to 200 fifty-cent surcharges plus the time and expense of going to kangaroo court at 400 W. Superior.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: City Proposes Gas Surcharge

Here's a novel idea for you Mirtz. How 'bout not breaking the law?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: City Proposes Gas Surcharge

Well when the law is hard to understand, like this surcharge will be for a lot of drivers, mistakes are bound to happen and our smiling Consumer Services inspectors will be waiting with their ticket books.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: City Proposes Gas Surcharge

I don't think it is going to be that hard to understand after all. DCS will let us know when it's off and when it's on and how much. If they have to let the passengers know then I think we will have to know even more than them.