General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crown Vic light issue

Hi all

I have a 2002 and a 2004 Crown Vic (both ex-police cars) in my small fleet of cabs. I do not have my own mechanic but rely on a local independent service guy to do most of my work.

After a recent accident, the 2004 has a problem with all the lights occasionally turning off which has been diagnosed to the lighting control module. My mechanic says that even if he found a used one which will work, it would have to be reprogrammed which apparently only Ford can do. He also claims that the used ones mostly suffer from the same problem mine has, that the donor cars have been in accidents and the control module suffers damage as the result. New modules are over $400 from Ford plus the install charge so I'm looking at probably a $600 bill just to keep my lights from occasionally turning off.

Does anyone know a way around this?

thanks
Doug

Re: Crown Vic light issue

the light control module form Ford CV 2002 will not work on a 2003-2004 model.
They do not need to be reprogrammed, just replaced. Cost will vary from 75(refurbish the old one) to about 425 for a new one. And a used one from a 2004 Cv will work just fine.....no need to go to the dealer

Re: Re: Crown Vic light issue

Thanks Larry. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me. Who refurbishes these?
Doug

Re: Re: Re: Crown Vic light issue

every shop will do it. I do it for myself at my shop, but there are no warranties....Sure, if it doesn't work, you don't pay....

Re: Crown Vic light issue

I've been fixing them for my friends. Here is the secret that no mechanics want you guys to know;
The problem is the 4 relays that can be easily replaced by anyone who has little knowledge of electronics and soldering. And those are $4 for each.
You can buy those relays on the web. The only thing is that you need to be careful when you remove old ones in order not to damage the board.