General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: where was mike foulks? where was Steve Wiedersberg?

Hassan, you knew about Mike's March but you didn't go, yet you are criticizing him for not being at some other event where you were.

Does anyone else find this to be a particularly funny and strange post?

Re: where was mike foulks? where was Steve Wiedersberg?

Hassan,

The march on the 24th was planned and announced in the Chicago Dispatcher before the Stanley Shen situation became publicized and before Mayor Daley announced his "gas surcharge" plan.

It was not only for a fare increase. It was for all of us cabdrivers to get together and get some public attention for the fact that we haven't had a fare increase for three years AND all the other issues we face...

400 W. Superior...Fly Tickets...The Great Complainer...Whatever YOU wanted to make known and whatever YOU wanted to march for or against.

When Mayor Daley announced his gas surcharge plan, he fooled at lot of people into thinking this was the "fare increase" we needed...many cabdrivers didn't seem to care so much about the march then.

EVEN IF THE STANLEY SHEN CASE HAD NEVER HAPPENED...I'M CERTAIN THAT STEVE WIEDERSBERG WOULD HAVE TALKED TO THE REPORTERS ABOUT THE NEW FELONY LAW THAT HE MADE HAPPEN WITHOUT HELP FROM ANYONE ELSE!!!

Sadly, the Stanley Shen case did happen. Stanley Shen is a personal friend of Yi Tang (who is NOT a Chicago cabdriver, by the way), so of course he went to him and the "UTCC".

Some people, BUT NOT ALL, involved with the "UTCC Steering Committee" have played games with not only me, but also Melissa Callahan for just one to name here who is more well-known than the others.

The lawyer named Donald Nathan sent me the Stanley Shen photos and police report and asked me to help. Why? Maybe because he didn't have complete faith in the "professional organizers" you describe.

I again tried to work with Peter Enger, who has always pushed me away because this idea of "organizing cabdrivers" is like his dream identity. He has a passion but he becomes blind.

He told me that he doesn't think "white people" can organize "people of color". I find that funny because Peter Enger looks pretty "white" to me. He'll say he grew up a few years in Korea, so he's Korean on the inside.

I say, bull. He wants to be the secret leader of whatever group he can attract or join, but he doesn't want to give cabdrivers the choice to decide whether or not he or whoever else speaks for or represents them.

When Peter Enger was "helping" Melissa Callahan, he was voting at a meeting about an election he wasn't participating in. There were no written rules...Peter Enger would just try to manipulate the process so that everyone would just "get in line". If you disagreed...with anything...you were out. Ask "Party Cabbie" John Rees.

He kept promising an "election in the near future" and a set of by-laws and a constitution. He is still promising this with the "UTCC".

In the meantime, the Chicago Cabdriver Organization (CCO) was formed when over 50 cabdrivers voted in me and 6 other cabdrivers. We have an Articles of Organization and we had an election. There will be another election next month. Everybody who is actually a Chicago cabdriver was personally and publicly invited to participate. They still are. All of them.

Many chose not to for maybe the same experience Melissa Callahan had with Prateek Sampat and Mike McConnell of the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC): they seduced whoever seems to be a "leader" with promises of power and claims that no cabdrivers can be successful without their "expertise". They spread lies about those who are organizing without them (and others, to get attention) because if we are successful at it, the Taxi Worker Organizing (TWO) Project is unnecessary and at least one of them (Prateek Sampat) has to look for another job or something less interesting to do.

Maybe the other one (Mike McConnell) won't get to write a best-selling book about his "social work" helping cabdrivers like the better-known Biju Mathew.

I can't explain it all to you right now in one message, Hassan, so let me just give you the foundation...

There are people involved with the "UTCC" who are not Chicago cabdrivers. What is their interest? I leave it for you to ask them your own questions. I have my asnwers. We can compare them later if you like. Don't believe that everyone is "just trying to help" or that "we all want the same thing." The agenda of those who are not Chicago cabdrivers is theirs alone...we have no real "say" about it.

I didn't go to the hearing on the 26th because Peter Enger wanted me to "disavow" anything to do with Stanley Shen. Don Nathan kept trying to threaten or blackmail me into coming, conversely.

Who should I listen to? I simply wanted to know from Stanley Shen himself whether or not HE wanted me to come. Neither of them had Stanley Shen call me, obviously.

They didn't bother talking to Steve Wiedersberg until they found out that Steve Wiedersberg and Melissa Callahan (and I) were going to march a petition (letter) with other cabdrivers asking that the States' Attorney look into the matter and consider upgrading the charges against Stanley Shen's attacker.

They even tried to make it seem like we "marched" to the wrong building. We did not. I know for a fact that the States Attorneys Richard Devine, Robert Milan, and Anita Alvarez received our letter because I personally spoke with a high-ranking States Attorney about the Shen case several times afterwards. It became clear to me that it was almost certain that Stanley Shen's attacker would be charged with a felony.

I didn't feel the need to "take credit" because I am not trying to "upstage" anybody else's "show". The fact that some of these people project these terms onto me should reveal a little of what's going on in their heads.

Hassan, these people are locked in a competitive mindset...first, they make fun of "my" election by saying that "only 50 cabdrivers voted...what a failure"...and then they want to brag about how "over 50" cabdrivers showed up to "their" hearing.

Can you see a little of what's been going on?

And by the way, there wasn't "over 50" cabdrivers at the hearing on the 26th...more like 20-30. And the City Hall hearing on the 7th? They seated a handful of CCO members and a handful of Ghanaian Cabdriver Association members in the big group and slapped on those yellow armbands. Didn't you look over and see all the other cabdrivers who were not sitting with the rest?

Think for a minute...which group was the far-left politically-cool "people of color" and which was the "white allies".

I am happy that the AFSC finally spent some money and rented vans to transport some cabdrivers from Zaiqa. But if they were really serious, don't you think a group whose annual budget is over 40 MILLION DOLLARS could afford more than a scrap of yellow fabric to tie around our arms?

Are $2 T-shirts going to break the budget? I say...maybe so. I believe that the AFSC is making more off us as "poster childs" than they spend on "the cause".

Finally, what is your friend's name? He should have my phone number if he wanted to speak to me or join us in a meeting. I have opened my office in the Chinatown Hotel from Monday to Friday from 3pm-6pm for weeks now. Not just for CCO members...for any cabdriver who wants to help or needs help. Many other people have found me and come to me...why hasn't your friend?

I really did plan to go to the hearing on the 26th...but somebody favorable to the "UTCC" ripped down the flyers and posters I put up with my hard-earned money publicizing the march on the 24th...(they left up the "UTCC" propaganda).

I had to spend more of my precious money and TIME going around to put up replacements. March 26th? I was tired and broke...thanks to someone who doesn't want you to know anything about my activities. (Or anything besides the "UTCC").

Anybody who repeats the line "Mike Foulks is the President of Mike Foulks" is not only insulting me, but the other 50 plus cabdrivers who participated in the first CCO election...including your friend.

If they won't respect the 50 who voted for me and 6 others, how can they expect anyone to respect them?

I intend to run for CCO Cabdriver-Representative only one more time. I do not care who "wins". The "President" is only an option for whoever gets the most votes. It is not a "Director"...it is simply a "Chairman" who makes sure that everybody follow the rules which makes sure that everybody gets an equal chance to propose, speak, and vote.

It is the other 24 Cabdriver-Representatives who are "in charge". They make the rules and change the rules. TOGETHER. They decide what the agenda is, not "outsiders".

You can be one of them, Hassan, if you like. Try joining the "UTCC" steering committee and see what happens when you disagree with Prateek Sampat, Peter Enger, Yi Tang, or whoever else, right or wrong. Bull**** happens.

What I only REALLY care about is that ALL of us CHICAGO CABDRIVERS decide who these 25 CABDRIVER-REPRESENTATIVES are.

Hopefully, more than 50 will next month. Will you cast your votes? Will you ask others to vote for you?

What I want you to do first is...ask the "UTCC" steering committee why they didn't join the other cabdrivers in our march on the 24th? Let me know if they give you a straight answer.

One last point...the two guys who spoke at the Transportation Committee who told the Aldermen to vote "NO" on this gas surcharge proposal of Mayor Daley's were the only two cabdrivers who other every other cabdriver has chances to vote for: 1) Ghanaian Cabdriver Association "John Henry Assabill", and 2) Chicago Cabdriver Organization "Mike Foulks".

Why? Because this "gas surcharge" isn't what CHICAGO CABDRIVERS asked for, it isn't what we need. Don't be so foolish to think that the "UTCC" threats of "we accept this surcharge, but we demand 16% in 60 days" or else made them vote "YES".

This gas surcharge was a "done deal".

Who are the "UTCC" to demand 16%? They need to understand the law...everybody, I mean EVERYBODY signed a petition for 25%, not 16%. Just by happenstance (and Prateek Sampat's incompetence), I am the official filer of that proposal.

Anyhow, thanks for giving me a good opportunity to explain some of the nonsense you likely have heard.

If you want to speak with me in person, come see me at the Chinatown Hotel any weekday from 3pm-6pm. You don't really need an appointment but you could call me first just to make sure I'm not busy...(312) 933-1932. I prefer text messages to voice mail. You can always e-mail me: chinatownmike@yahoo.com.

I hope to hear from you soon!

-Mike Foulks

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

i heard from mike foulks about his march to support stanly shen but i did not have time to go. he said he changed his march from fare increase to stanley shen and he would go to the court hearing on march 12. i went to the UTCC march but i did not see Mike foulks or steve wiedersberg. why? i asked the UTCC member where they were and they said they asked stever Wiedersberg to speak at the press conference but he did not come. the united taxidrivers were very organized and professional. i like what they haave to say. but i am wondering, why is mike foulks and he says he has organization of 50 members why is he not going to support the court case? i see him also at the city hall and he has no members. my friend says he voted for him for president of CCO but he doesn't have a meeting. my friend says he believes mike foulks is president of mike foulks.

Re: Re: where was mike foulks? where was Steve Wiedersberg?

all talk little action and no noticeable accomplishments. that spells LOSER to me.

Re: Re: Re: where was mike foulks? where was Steve Wiedersberg?

And what have I "talked" about and not accomplished, Mr. Friend?

Mr. Wiedersberg accomplished getting the law changed which Mr. Shen's attacker is the first one to face.

Better yet, what "noticeable" accomplishments have YOU made, Mr. Friend?

Or others if you have don't have your own.

What have YOU done to help anyone, Mr. Friend?

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

all talk little action and no noticeable accomplishments. that spells LOSER to me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: where was mike foulks? where was Steve Wiedersberg?

Mike keep it up and don't let people try to bring you down. We all see that you are trying to help.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: where was mike foulks? where was Steve Wiedersberg?

Mr. Mirtz,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Please encourage more people to pay attention to what's really going on.

There will be another CCO election at the end of next month. I will be running and I hope more will be too. This isn't about me, this about cabdrivers themselves deciding for themselves who their leaders and representatives are and what the real agenda is or should be.

Nothing would make me prouder than being "defeated" by and working with other cabdrivers who cabdrivers voted for. This kind of "organization" is naturally more powerful and much more respected by others.

Please keep checking CabMarket.com and make sure everyone reads next month's Chicago Dispacther for the details. Please let me know if you or anyone else expresses or has an interest in participating.

-Mike Foulks (312) 933-1932 chinatownmike@yahoo.com

Replying to:

Mike keep it up and don't let people try to bring you down. We all see that you are trying to help.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: where was mike foulks? where was Steve Wiedersberg?

mike I see that you are trying to help too but what really can be done? that is what i think the real question is. the city decided to pass the surcharge and did not listen to anyone. what can be done?

Re: Re: where was mike foulks? where was Steve Wiedersberg?

HEY mike foulks. why dont' you post your articles of organization here so we can all see them? and who are all your CCO elected representatives? and why aren't you and they have any public meetings? or out organizing us cabdrivers like the UTCC? i see the UTCC organizeers everywhere and they are talking to drivers every day. where are your CCO organizers? or publishing your position and strategy to help the drivers? my friend and another driver say they voted in last CCO election because you asked them to. they didn't know they join CCO at that time. and they say you are the only one to count the votes. how is that a fair election? even in my country we have election monitors and many countries have UN observers to make sure it is fair.

and you say things that are not true. Steve Weidersberg still did notsay anything about Stanley Shen case. and you only had one march, you get your name and face in dispatcher and nothing more.

and the drivers at the city hall were not CCO and Ghanaians. i know many of them and they all were invited by UTCC organizers who are drivers and are working hard for us. why to you lie on them? we all think they give a very strong speech at the meeting and we agree with them. i never hear them sayh anything bad about you or CCO. why do you always attack them with lies?

i think you are not a very honest man. i hope another driver will elect to president of CCO.

Re: Re: Re: where was mike foulks? where was Steve Wiedersberg?

Hassan,

Thanks for having the courage and integrity to respond. I also respect you for challenging me.

Chicago cabdrivers need more like you to speak up. I hope you will strongly consider running in the next CCO election next month.

Anyone who wants a copy of the CCO Articles of Organization can have one. They are five pages long, although they are not as complicated as that might sound. They are as simple as just about any basic structure of a new group can be. I will not post them on-line as I don't want them to be tampered with and re-sent with errors by someone who wishes to do the CCO harm. There are a few who have deliberately tried to spread misinformation and sabotage this website, for example.

Cabdrivers elected me, Syed Ali, John Rees, Steve Wiedersberg, Gregory McGee, and wrote-in Melissa Callahan and Ted Budzynski. There can be up to 25 Cabdriver-Representatives, currently. This is why Regular Meetings are not public...5 minutes speaking time for 25 people is over two hours total. There can be Special Meetings where anybody is invited to attend and speak.

How exactly is the UTCC "organizing" cabdrivers? I haven't seen anything other than posters. Who is doing what? What does it mean to you to "organize" cabdrivers?

I talk to cabdrivers every day. So does every other CCO representative or member, active or not. Somebody favorable to the UTCC rips down my flyers and leaves up the UTCC's...kinda makes it hard for you to know my position and strategy that way. I suggest you read the Chicago Dispatcher or the Chicago Sun-Times sometimes.

You can Google "Mike Foulks" and "Chicago cabdriver" and see what I have done on-line.

You again mention "my friend and another driver". What are their names? How could they vote in an organization and not understand that they are a member? There were copies of the Articles of Organization posted on the wall at Kabob Corner and copies available to take for weeks before and during the that first CCO election. It was publicized in the Chicago Dispatcher.

I can show a copy or the original of every ballot cast in the last election. I think you will be impressed with the amount of detail. Nobody who participated in the election objected to the results. John Rees and I counted the ballots together.

Anybody could have observed the first election. It was held in a public place. Anybody can observe the next CCO election. It will be held in a public place. Maybe you can serve as an election observer if you don't want to run. You can do both. There are no "secret ballots". Everything is open, transparent, and available for inspection. I can't imagine how it could be fairer. If you have a suggestion, please let me know. Just don't suggest something you aren't willing to help out with...we have way too many "armchair quarterbacks" who want other people to do things. We must start doing things ourselves, together.

What did I say that was not true? Steve Wiedersberg signed a letter that we presented to the States' Attorney office. We spoke with personnel there. During the march, Steve Wiedersberg spoke with a guy from a TV station and a guy from a newspaper. Steve also spoke with the Chicago Dispatcher's Jonathan Bullington.

Steve Wiedersberg spoke to many officials about the Stanley Shen case. Steve Wiedersberg has close and long-established relationships with many, many reporters and politicians.

I announced my march in the Chicago Dispatcher before anything about the gas surcharge or Stanley Shen becuase I felt we were all being ignored. Suddenly and finally, the gas surcharge proposal is made by Mayor Daley and sadly, the Stanley Shen incident is made known.

I would prefer if someone else like you would step forward so I can not be accused of "getting my name and face in the Dispatcher and nothing more". Seriously though, should cabdriver representatives put bags over their heads and give themselves code-names? I think that would be silly.

I will show you the name and face of at least one CCO member at City Hall. Perhaps you will recognize more than one. I know I do. I'm sure you know many of them. There were Ghanaians too. I never said that there weren't more than that.

Not all UTCC organizers are drivers. Not even all the drivers are Chicago cabdrivers. Some of them are working very hard for THEMSELVES, Hassan. Don't question me without also putting them to the same test.

Did you forget all of the approving applause I received after my testimony? I disagree with you. I don't think that all of the UTCC speakers gave a strong speech, but I don't want to discourage you or them or others for trying. My speech was not perfect either, but the simple point was made upon the Committee and it was quoted effectively in the Sun-Times.

Hassan, be careful...what lies have I said about anyone? I really want you to specify because I've heard and seen lies spread about me and others.

I'm not always attacking "them". I am doing things that you read about in the newspaper and don't know that I am involved because I'm not "trying to get my name and face" in the newspaper the way you suggested.

And by the way, it isn't "my" CCO. CCO is open to all Chicago cabdrivers...it is "yours" and "ours".

You again say I am dishonest...how am I dishonest?

To sum up, Hassan, please give me your last name, privately if you don't want to here, and the names of your two friends. I'll clear up any confusion they or you have about CCO.

I am also not attacking "UTCC". There are character problems with a few of the steering committee members and unresolved issues with Prateek Sampat of the AFSC. There are good cabdrivers in the steering committee too.

Call me anytime at (312) 933-1932 and I'll give you a copy of the CCO Articles.

Please activate more cabdrivers interest in particpating in the CCO or any other legitimate cabdrivers organization, no matter how big or small. To get what we need will take more than just the small groups we have now "getting along".

If I missed any of your questions, please ask them again or any new ones you might have.

-Mike Foulks, CCO President, chinatownmike@yahoo.com

P.S. If you ultimately don't want me on the CCO, you will have to come and vote for two others you think are better and willing to do the job. Nobody else will do it for them or you.

Replying to:

HEY mike foulks. why dont' you post your articles of organization here so we can all see them? and who are all your CCO elected representatives? and why aren't you and they have any public meetings? or out organizing us cabdrivers like the UTCC? i see the UTCC organizeers everywhere and they are talking to drivers every day. where are your CCO organizers? or publishing your position and strategy to help the drivers? my friend and another driver say they voted in last CCO election because you asked them to. they didn't know they join CCO at that time. and they say you are the only one to count the votes. how is that a fair election? even in my country we have election monitors and many countries have UN observers to make sure it is fair.

and you say things that are not true. Steve Weidersberg still did notsay anything about Stanley Shen case. and you only had one march, you get your name and face in dispatcher and nothing more.

and the drivers at the city hall were not CCO and Ghanaians. i know many of them and they all were invited by UTCC organizers who are drivers and are working hard for us. why to you lie on them? we all think they give a very strong speech at the meeting and we agree with them. i never hear them sayh anything bad about you or CCO. why do you always attack them with lies?

i think you are not a very honest man. i hope another driver will elect to president of CCO.