General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Letter to Commisioner Norma Reyes.

I don't mind the higher fines for Cabbies for any violations of Taxi cab rules, be it talking on handsfree or talking on phone handsheld while the taxi cab is in operation. I have no fear of these fines as I am a professional driver who has been driving for 8 years and I don't drive recklessly or disrespect passengers.

You have made rules in favor of Taxi riders and city rules.

I have few concerns from drivers side,

1, Why you made this law of requiring Cabbies to accept credit cards as a method of taxi cab fare payment without talking to drivers about this?

This requirement is wrong because firstly, credit cards takes longer than cash payment and drivers can not block a traffic by swiping and processing credit card on busy street. Drivers are issued ticket for onbustructing roadway or illegal parking or standing.
Secondly, it is wrong because drivers are having to pay 5% off the credit card charge when we go cash those credit card payments and sometimes the cards get declined and we lose our money.

So either drivers need to be compenseted 5% by the city for each credit card payment or you should fix this credit card payment problem so we don't get ripped off or lose our money.

2, There are many rights for taxi riders and we have many punishment for any violations, but what things you have done for drivers safety while on job?

It takes half an hour or longer for cops to arrive when a driver calls police for help with unruly passengers.

3, Why there are just too many cabs on street?

It looks as if there are more cabs o chicago streets than regular cars.

Too many cabs on street hurts the bussiness of long time and veteren drivers.
bussiness is not gettig better and yet there are just too many cabs on street.

Thank you

Re: Letter to Commisioner Norma Reyes.

Well said!

Re: Letter to Commisioner Norma Reyes.

How can this letter get printing in the Dispatcher?

Re: Re: Letter to Commisioner Norma Reyes.

For a letter to be considered in the Chicago Dispatcher, just email it to info@chicagodispatcher.com. If you prefer you can send it to my personal email: george@chicagodispatcher.com or to Jonathan Bullington's personal email at jonathan@chicagodispatcher.com.

I agree that this letter is particularly good.

If you don't want to include your name, just indicate that you'd prefer to remain anonymous.

We consider all letters for publication and encourage anyone to send letters our way. That's always been our policy.

George Lutfallah
Chicago Dispatcher