General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: does surcharge expire in 60 days or not ??

Just who decides what are "JUST AND REASONABLE" rates?

The more I read the various sections of the city law, the more it smells a com game.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: surcharge law - what a mess!

This is the part that bugs almost all drivers:

At such hearings each petitioning licensee or chauffeur may be required to submit a sworn statement of the gross income derived from the operation of taxicabs by him or under his control and all such expenses exclusive of Federal Income Taxes incurred during the immediately preceding period of 12 full calendar months. At such hearings the committee shall... consider the sworn statements of gross income and expenses submitted by the licensees or chauffeurs..."

This actually a disincentive to petition for a meter increase because, it is rumored, that many drivers don't even file tax returns.

Those who do file see it as an intrusion into their privacy as it relates to the IRS and suggest that there other objective factors that can be used to determine if a meter increase is appropriate from public records and reports available form other government agencies and industry reports from this industries that effect the cost of doing taxi business.

What a mess!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: surcharge law - what a mess!

I agree with you Wolf. With so much regulating the city does of this industry, they should take it upon themselves to analyze and report how much cabdrivers make vs. how many hours they work. Then they should compare it to wages and benefits of city employees in comparable fields such as bus drivers (comparable because of the nature of the work - driving) or even police officers (comparable because of the danger/risk factor).

I believe this is a responsibility the city should undertake but has neglected because we are not considered their employees but independent business people. I see that as a cop out because, by design, they consider us independent business people on one hand but then expect us to collectively prove our income on the other.

George Lutfallah

Re: Re: Re: does surcharge expire in 60 days or not ??

Who are the other three greatest? Me, myself and I?

nyuk nyuk nyuk

Re: Re: Re: Re: does surcharge expire in 60 days or not ??

The three greatest taxi drivers know who they are.

Re: does surcharge expire in 60 days or not ??

george does the surcharge expire in 60 days?

Re: Re: does surcharge expire in 60 days or not ??

No. The surcharge is not for a specified number of days - it is based on fuel prices.

If gas stays above $3.20, the $1.00 surcharge will remain in effect until there is a fare increase.

If it drops below $3.20 for seven consecutive days but not below $2.70 for those days, the surcharge will be $.50. If it falls below $2.70 for seven consecutive days, the surcharge is off. For any of these cases, there will be a taxi advisory notice issued by DCS.

Don't forget about our hotline you can call to know if the surcharge is on or off and for how much. The number is (312) 437-8294.

George Lutfallah

See my posting above

Refer to my rather long posting above.