General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is sticky?

For those of you who are unaware, as the moderator of this forum I have the ability to make things "sticky."

What that means is that I am able to make certain postings stay at the top of the forum.

When I "unsticky" these items, they drop down to their natural place in chronological order.

This has apparently caused some people to think that I have deleted these postings because all of a sudden an entire thread of postings is no longer viewable at the top of the forum. This is not the case.

That is not to say that I never delete items. I generally delete solicitations from this forum, though fortunately most people have been respectful and haven't abused the forum. However some have by shamelessly trying to get free advertising, thereby corrupting the integrity of this forum.

So how do I determine what items become "sticky?"
There are four basic things I consider.
1. Is there a timeliness factor? For example, on July 29 last year, somebody posted information about the strike that was to occur in two days. I made that sticky until after the strike. Currently the CCO election is scheduled this Wednesday, so I made it sticky.

2. Importance. If somebody posts something that I deem to be important or worth reading, I'll make it sticky.

3. Popular. If I see that a particular posting is drawing a lot of discussion, I will keep it at the top while the debate rages on.

4. Ask me. If somebody thinks there is a posting that is of particular importance that should be sticky, they can request that I make it sticky and I'll take that into consideration. If I think it's important as well, I'll make it sticky. If I get a sufficient number of requests about a particular posting, I will likely make it sticky, even if I don't think the posting warrants it.

How something becomes "unsticky" is when the event expires, other more pressing things require higher ranking, or when the discussion has degenerated into pointless bickering.

George Lutfallah
Chicago Dispatcher

Re: What is sticky?

Please do not repost items, especially for recent posts. Having two identical threads is confusing. People on this forum shouldn't be expected to post their comments twice.

If you think that a particular thread is important, as I have already indicated, you may request that I make it sticky.

Duplicating an entire thread is damaging to the integrity of this site.

Thanks,
George Lutfallah
Chicago Dispatcher