General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chicago Gas Prices Highest In U.S.

CHICAGO (CBS) ― No, it is not your imagination. Chicagoans are feeling more pain at the pump than anywhere else in the nation.

CBS 2's Joanie Lum reports that new numbers show you'll pay more for gas here than even in New York City or Los Angeles, reaching an average of $4.07 for a gallon of self-serve regular.

It's the first time the average gas price has topped $4 a gallon in a metropolitan area.

Someone's trying to do something about it. At the request of U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, the Federal Trade Commission has agreed to investigate the record prices.

In the South Loop, gas stations were selling for $4.25 a gallon. It's even higher a few miles north; $4.49 a gallon for regular gas at the intersection of Fullerton, Clybourn and Ashland.

Many motorists there purchased just enough fuel to drive to a location where gas might be cheaper.

Brett Kelly said, "I work out in the suburbs, where it's about 30 or 40 cents cheaper a gallon, so I'm getting at least enough to get me there, then I'll fill up over there."

Jessica Van Dusen/motorist said, "I'm definitely not filling my tank today. It's ridiculous. I'm not sure what to do about it but I've got to keep driving.

Robert Holifield, a driver for the Salvation Army, said, "It's just costing a lot of money, a lot of money, but what can you do about it? I need it to keep working." He paid more than $56 for less than 12 gallons of gas.

In Chicago, nearly 80 cents of the price of every gallon of gas goes to city, county, state and federal taxes.

Margaret Kubic said, "But What you can do? You're not going to put your car in garage and walk."

AAA estimates that motorists will take road trips this Memorial Day weekend, but they'll drive shorter distances and cut costs in other ways.

Spokeswoman Beth Mosher said, "They're traveling to Indianapolis or Wisconsin or making a weekend out of it in Michigan. What's interesting is they're also going to see family and friends, so that they don't have to pay for the hotel visits."

Mosher said those cutbacks are hurting the overall economy.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.