General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suing to geta FARE deal

Can somebody please clarify..

Does the petition ask for a fare increase or not?
I just looked at it and it says, "c. In the alternative, that this Honorable Court restrain defendant CITY and the DCS from failing to consider further and additional taxicab rate of fare revisions in futuro."

It sounds like they aren't asking for a fare increase but that they are asking the judge to stop the city from not considering a fare increase. Am I understanding this correctly? If so that doesn't seem to pack much punch because if they win this court case all they would get is a requirement to make the city "think" about a fare increase.

What am I missing?

THE AUTHOR SHOULD SPEAK

Okay, Big John. I penned it - it's in "legalese" which is a stupid language. Sometimes I have a hard time understanding it myself. It's for that reason that an amendment to the Petition is necessary.

What I was saying in a left-handed way was that the Court should force the City to consider fare increases in the future; in knocking down the gas surcharge, the City should be stopped from refusing to consider whether to raise fares for cabdrivers. Is that clear enough?

In other words, "The Magnificent Seven" want the City: not to just have a gas surcharge but rather to raise meter rates - SUBSTANTIALLY; not triple fines for petty rule violations where hearings take place in kangaroo courts; not lower fares from the Midway to Burbank and O'Hare to Skokie by 1/3; and, not give Commissioner Reyes the right to suspend or revoke a driver's license before he or she is found guilty of a felony; that is, just on being charged and without proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

That lawsuit is being prosecuted by me as best I can without any fee and without any expectation of anything from it. I'm not asking for as much as a thank you. In spite of being lambasted by certain people as "unethical", I intend to do whatever I can to contribute to winning a fare increase for drivers who now face gas that's well over $4 a gallon. And it's going to get much worse over the course of the next few months, and we all know it.

With your Crown Vics burning at 13 MPG, the lot of you need to line up behind "The Magnificent Seven" instead of the nay-sayers.

Maybe Mr. Lutfallah will make this a sticky - probably not.

Donald Nathan

Donald Nathan Should Speak Less Condescendingly, No?

Mr. Nathan,

Good thing you speak "STUPID", stupid.

Is "Condescendingly" a dialect of "Stupid"? That's the accent I'm hearing. Let me see if I can use it to communicate with you.

Maybe you should focus on "Legalese" or just plain "English" and quit making lame excuses for your poor performance on the initial document...

...a few of us "mopes" quickly caught your obvious error which obviously reflects your lack of understanding of the Chicago cabdriver's CURRENT and RECENT legal and business conditions and enviroment.

It's not 1974 anymore...you better get up to speed by associating with cabdrivers who are more than puppet-like place-holders who seem to have less than a passing understanding of the legal mistakes you have already made (again!).

Line-up behind the "Insignificant So-Fars"? Gee, I hope I get there before they run out of tickets and popcorn! What will all your asses look like when the Court throws you "ignorant asses" and your lawsuit into the street?

You're the Director of this cheap flick...if you had enough money to produce an "Alternative Ending", what would your sickest fantasy for a "settlement" or "judgement" be? How long is the "running time" on that one?

I mean, Daddy-O, how long do you think this is going to take?

Should we just sit back and let "Airborne" kick some ass? Is that your best advice, "Air-bomb"?

Don't get wrong, Mr. Nathan, I wish you luck. But, if (when) you **** this up and you are found guilty of giving my fellow cabdrivers false hope OR A BAD REASON TO PUT ALL OF THEIR "EGGS" IN YOUR BASKET...

...don't be surprised when I chop your neck off if those eggs don't hatch and you start to smell rotten.

I'm not lamb-basting you, Mr. Nathan. You smell and act like more like a goofy chicken to me. I'm getting my hot and spicy BBQ sauce ready and the biggest baster to shove up your ass if you fail to focus on your tasks at hand.

One simple question for you Mr. Nathan...

...why are you so worried about where cabdrivers are "lining up"? I thought you didn't even want a "thank-you".

I really hope your case isn't dependent on using the childish psychological tactics you think George Lutfallah will be tricked with into making your nearly-insulting response to Big John a "sticky".

For all of our sakes.

Please send me any information you deem appropriate about this lawsuit.

Let me thank you in advance just in case this will be my only opportunity to do so.

-Mike Foulks

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Okay, Big John. I penned it - it's in "legalese" which is a stupid language. Sometimes I have a hard time understanding it myself. It's for that reason that an amendment to the Petition is necessary.

What I was saying in a left-handed way was that the Court should force the City to consider fare increases in the future; in knocking down the gas surcharge, the City should be stopped from refusing to consider whether to raise fares for cabdrivers. Is that clear enough?

In other words, "The Magnificent Seven" want the City: not to just have a gas surcharge but rather to raise meter rates - SUBSTANTIALLY; not triple fines for petty rule violations where hearings take place in kangaroo courts; not lower fares from the Midway to Burbank and O'Hare to Skokie by 1/3; and, not give Commissioner Reyes the right to suspend or revoke a driver's license before he or she is found guilty of a felony; that is, just on being charged and without proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

That lawsuit is being prosecuted by me as best I can without any fee and without any expectation of anything from it. I'm not asking for as much as a thank you. In spite of being lambasted by certain people as "unethical", I intend to do whatever I can to contribute to winning a fare increase for drivers who now face gas that's well over $4 a gallon. And it's going to get much worse over the course of the next few months, and we all know it.

With your Crown Vics burning at 13 MPG, the lot of you need to line up behind "The Magnificent Seven" instead of the nay-sayers.

Maybe Mr. Lutfallah will make this a sticky - probably not.

Donald Nathan

A reply to Mr. Foulks' latest attack

Mr. Nathan,

Good thing you speak "STUPID", stupid.

YOUR USE OF INSULTS REFLECTS YOUR VICIOUSNESS. IT'S NEEDLESS AND IT APPEALS ONLY TO A CERTAIN LOW-LIFE ELEMENT. OF COURSE, THERE ARE CERTAIN PEOPLE WHO HATE LAWYERS AND DELIGHT IN SEEING YOU POKE AT ME FOR THAT REASON ALONE, SO I GUESS YOU HAVE YOUR FANS.

Is "Condescendingly" a dialect of "Stupid"? That's the accent I'm hearing. Let me see if I can use it to communicate with you.

YOU SHOULD CONDESCEND TO ME? THAT'S A LAUGH. I DON'T NEED TO RESPOND TO THAT ONE.

Maybe you should focus on "Legalese" or just plain "English" and quit making lame excuses for your poor performance on the initial document...

OKAY, MIKE - TRY TAKING THE ILLINOIS BAR EXAM IN JULY. OH YEAH, YOU HAVE TO GRADUATE FROM LAW SCHOOL FIRST. OH YEAH, YOU NEED TO GO TO COLLEGE AND TRY GRADUATING WITH HONORS TO GET INTO A LAW SCHOOL.

AND BY THE BY, SIR, ILLINOIS IS LIBERAL ABOUT ALLOWING AMENDED PLEADINGS. AN AMENDED PLEADING WIPES OUT THE ORIGINAL PLEADING AS THOUGH IT HAD NEVER EVEN BEEN FILED.

I MAKE NO CLAIM TO PERFECTION. I'M CLEARLY MORE THAN A LITTLE LOWER THAN THE ANGELS, AND I'M MAN ENOUGH TO ADMIT IT - UNLIKE YOU. IF MY PLEADING NEEDED AN AMENDMENT, AND IT DID, A MOTION TO AMEND IT HAD TO BE DRAWN. AND SUCH A MOTION HAS BEEN DRAWN. IT WILL HAVE BEEN PRESENTED SHORTLY.

APROPOS NOTHING, I HAD A PHONE CALL FROM A SHERIFF'S DEPUTY A FEW DAYS AGO. THE GUY WILL GO UNNAMED HERE. HE ASKED ME WHERE THE SUMMONS FOR THE PETITION FOR INJUNCTIVE RELIEF SHOULD BE SERVED. I SAID TO HIM THAT I HAD WRITTEN ON IT THAT IT SHOULD BE SERVED ON THE CITY OF CHICAGO AT CITY HALL. SO HE SAID: "WHERE? CITY HALL IS A BIG PLACE." SO I RESPONDED: "TRY DA MARE'S OFFICE". HE SAID "OKAY" SEEMING TO UNDERSTAND ME WITHOUT ANY TROUBLE.

SO FAR I HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING FROM THE OFFICE OF THE CORPORATION COUNSEL.

...a few of us "mopes" quickly caught your obvious error which obviously reflects your lack of understanding of the Chicago cabdriver's CURRENT and RECENT legal and business conditions and enviroment.

WHAT OBVIOUS ERROR? AGAIN, MIKE - TRY TAKING THE BAR EXAM BEFORE YOU START PRACTICING LAW.

It's not 1974 anymore...you better get up to speed by associating with cabdrivers who are more than puppet-like place-holders who seem to have less than a passing understanding of the legal mistakes you have already made (again!).

MY EFFORTS AT THE BAR HAVE BEEN WITHIN THE STANDARD OF CARE FOR PRACTITIONERS IN THE COMMUNITY IN WHICH I PRACTICE. ANY NEED TO AMEND THE PETITION FOR INJUNCTIVE RELIEF ON MOTION IS NOT SOMETHING FOR WHICH CRITICISM IS APPROPRIATE, AND I DEFY YOU TO FIND ANY COMPETENT PROFESSIONAL TO OPINE TO THE CONTRARY.

Line-up behind the "Insignificant So-Fars"? Gee, I hope I get there before they run out of tickets and popcorn! What will all your asses look like when the Court throws you "ignorant asses" and your lawsuit into the street?

THAT'S JUST SILLY. JUDGE EPSTEIN IS MORE THAN LIKELY TO GIVE "THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN" A FAIR DAY IN COURT IN SPITE OF YOUR LESS THAN HUMBLE OPINION OF THE MERITS OF THEIR CAUSE. WHEN YOU CAN PUT "ESQ." AFTER YOUR NAME, YOU CAN OFFER YOUR CRITIQUE WITH AUTHORITY. UNTIL THEN, BITE YOUR TONGUE EVEN THOUGH YOU WANT TO CONDESCEND TO ME.

You're the Director of this cheap flick...if you had enough money to produce an "Alternative Ending", what would your sickest fantasy for a "settlement" or "judgement" be? How long is the "running time" on that one?

THE WORD IS SPELLED "JUDGMENT". THE "RUNNING TIME" IS GOING TO BE HOWEVER LONG IT TAKES TO ACHIEVE OUR END. STOP WISHING US FAILURE. YOUR BAD WISHES ARE GOING TO COME BACK TO HAUNT YOU, SIR.

I mean, Daddy-O, how long do you think this is going to take?

I HAVE NO IDEA. DO YOU?

Should we just sit back and let "Airborne" kick some ass? Is that your best advice, "Air-bomb"?

THIS ONE ESCAPES ME - IT'S SO OBTUSE THAT NO ONE BUT YOU WOULD EVER UNDERSTAND IT.

Don't get wrong, Mr. Nathan, I wish you luck. But, if (when) you **** this up and you are found guilty of giving my fellow cabdrivers false hope OR A BAD REASON TO PUT ALL OF THEIR "EGGS" IN YOUR BASKET...

WE ARE GOING TO DO THE BEST WE CAN TO OVERTURN A BAD ORDINANCE. IF WE FAIL TO SUCCEED, IT IS GOING TO BE UNFORTUNATE. I AM SURE YOU ARE WISHING US A FAILURE, AND MOST OF THE CABDRIVERS IN THE CHICAGO METRO AREA FULLY UNDERSTAND YOUR MALICE. I THINK THEY RESENT YOUR BAD WISHES FOR THEM.

...don't be surprised when I chop your neck off if those eggs don't hatch and you start to smell rotten.

I DON'T EXPECT TO LOSE SLEEP THINKING ABOUT YOU, SIR.

I'm not lamb-basting you, Mr. Nathan. You smell and act like more like a goofy chicken to me. I'm getting my hot and spicy BBQ sauce ready and the biggest baster to shove up your ass if you fail to focus on your tasks at hand.

YOUR SITTING BY THE SIDELINES PRAYING FOR FAILURE OF THE EFFORTS OF "THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN" IS GOING TO BE REMEMBERED BY ALL OF THE DRIVERS WHO REALIZE WHAT CLOTH YOU ARE CUT FROM.

One simple question for you Mr. Nathan...

...why are you so worried about where cabdrivers are "lining up"? I thought you didn't even want a "thank-you".

THIS ONE IS SIMPLE, MIKE. I'M NOT A RICH MAN TO BE ABLE TO GIVE BIG MONEY TO CHARITY. BUT I'M AT THAT STAGE OF LIFE WHEN I WANT TO GIVE SOMETHING BACK TO HUMANITY. FOUR OF MY FIVE KIDS ARE OUT OF THE NEST. I DON'T NEED THE INCOME I DID 25 YEARS AGO OR EVEN 10 YEARS AGO ANY MORE. SO I GIVE AWAY TIME TO THE PEOPLE IN THE INDUSTRY THAT SUPPORTED ME OVER THE DECADES.

MAYBE WHAT I DO ISN'T ALWAYS SUCCESSFUL. BUT I TRY THE BEST I CAN, AND I DON'T EXPECT ANYTHING FOR IT. CAN YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? MAYBE NOT AT AGE 30 SOMETHING. WAIT UNTIL YOU'RE IN YOUR 60'S AND, FOR YOUR SAKE, MODESTLY SUCCESSFUL. THEN YOU'LL UNDERSTAND HOW SATISFYING IT IS TO GIVE AWAY YOUR TIME WITHOUT PEOPLE EVEN SAYING A THANKS.

I really hope your case isn't dependent on using the childish psychological tactics you think George Lutfallah will be tricked with into making your nearly-insulting response to Big John a "sticky".

For all of our sakes.

Please send me any information you deem appropriate about this lawsuit.

I HAVE EVERY EXPECTATION COPIES OF THE MOTION TO AMEND THE PETITION AND THE AMENDED PETITION ARE GOING TO REACH YOU SOONER OR LATER. I SEE NO REASON TO PROVIDE YOU WITH THE TIME OF DAY AT THIS TIME. YOU ARE A MALICIOUS PERSON TOWARD ME. YOUR PERSONAL ANIMUS FOR REASONS THAT I DO NOT CARE TO TRY TO UNDERSTAND DISINCLINES ME FROM SAYING ANYTHING THE MORE ABOUT THE MATTER WITHOUT BEING INSTRUCTED TO DO SO BY MY CLIENTS.

Let me thank you in advance just in case this will be my only opportunity to do so.

YOU ARE MOST WELCOME, ALTHOUGH I WILL GIVE YOU ANY NUMBER OF OPPORTUNITIES TO DO SO. I LOOK FORWARD TO A PRODUCTIVE DIALOGUE WITH YOU RATHER THAN CONTINUING PERIODIC SPARING WHICH IS, FOR THE MOST PART, TOTALLY COUNTERPRODUCTIVE.

DONALD NATHAN

-Mike Foulks

Re: A reply to Mr. Foulks' latest attack

I really, truly and sincerely hate to say this but when I hear a taxi driver talk the way Michael Foulks talks I think to myself that he's a taxi driver so it is normal. When I hear Donald Nathan talk the way he talks I am shocked to realize that he is a lawyer. Mr. Donald Nathan why do you stoop to that level? Should not a professional attorney-at-law conduct himself in a more professional manner?

Re: THE AUTHOR SHOULD SPEAK

Don, I don't know what it is about your post that makes you think it deserves the top spot but here you go. I want you to be happy.

George

THE AUTHOR SHOULD SPEAK

Thank you, George, for the opportunity to air the circumstances of the Petition for Injunctive Relief which is really in its early stages. The pleading that was filed did need amendment, and a motion to do so has been prepared. It is going to be filed shortly, and I anticipate Judge Epstein is likely to grant it: Illinois is very liberal about allowing pleadings to be amended, especially so in the Chancery courts.

At this point, the City has yet to appear. In fact, I am not sure service of process has been effected: see my reply to Mike Foulks' latest attack on me just above about the Deputy Sheriff who called me to ask where the City of Chicago should be served - Ha Ha Ha.

I am generally happy to answer questions about the Petition, and my clients have generally authorized me to respond to specific questions addressed at my e-mail address: donald.nathan@sbcglobal.net. I do not want to clog your discussion forum with a lot of irrelevant material, and I specifically do not want to give certain people ammunition to use against my cabdriver clients on your website.

No doubt all will understand this.

Donald Nathan

Replying to:

Don, I don't know what it is about your post that makes you think it deserves the top spot but here you go. I want you to be happy.

George

"Illinois is very liberal about allowing pleadings to be amended, especially so in the Chancery courts."

I guess we have that to be thankful for but at some point in the process legal mistakes will cost us and could be difficult to reverse. What checks are in place to assure us that the legal action of a few will not have the effect of damaging all of us?

George Lutfallah
Chicago Dispatcher

Re: Re: THE AUTHOR SHOULD SPEAK

very good question.

Your comment carries an incorrect presumption

George - Your observation presumes a "legal mistake" was made. That is not the case. I'm not going to try to put a spin on it. On reading of the ordinance in a tortured way, I concluded one could take it to mean that the pittance of a surcharge would be all the City Council would dole out.

Regardless of how it was to be taken, the ordinance had to be attacked as woefully inadequate. Even Mr. Foulks thinks it stinks and that Chicago cabdrivers need a substantial fare increase. My take on it is that they all do better to have the ordinance stayed and to march en masse to City Hall DEMANDING a 25% increase.

My read is that the legal action of "The Magnificent Seven" is hardly going to damage the rest of you. I could be wrong, and I sure hope I'm not.

Donald Nathan

Re: Your comment carries an incorrect presumption

Don,

If no mistake were made, there would be no need to amend the petition, which you have indicated that you plan to do, due to your own confusion, per your own admission.

George Lutfallah
Chicago Dispatcher

Re: Re: Your comment carries an incorrect presumption

George,

Slow down. Think about this. You're taking a punch at guy working for free that is trying a new way to get us a raise. George you are man enough to admit that you too have made mistakes. You wouldn't be in your position if you didn't. And no Mike, he's not putting a quarter in the slot hoping to hit a jackpot. I didn't read anything in the suit that asks for a cash award to Don Nathan/Shen Seven to be ordered by the courts for the city to pay.

Why are we beating up a guy trying to help???

Re: Re: Re: Your comment carries an incorrect presumption

"Why are we beating up a guy trying to help???"

Because I don't trust the motives of Donald Nathan and haven't accepted your premise that he's just "a guy trying to help." If you've been reading this forum for a while, it should be blatantly obvious why I hold that opinion.

The onus is not on me to change my mind; just to have an open mind. I saw no evidence whatsoever that Donald Nathan was "trying a new way to get us a raise" until he got clobbered and exposed by the good people who post in this forum.

You ought to be thanking them rather than just blindly following people. This is exactly where we've been burned in the past. Chicago cabdrivers are desperate for help so somebody comes along offering to help and the next thing you know they're gone and cabdrivers are no better off, thus making them less apt to trust the next "guy trying to help" who comes along. There had been nobody checking those people and keeping them honest.

So forgive me if I'm just a little bit skeptical of someone who has built a career finding angles to make money through the legal system who now says he wants to help for free. I simply would not be doing my job as a journalist if I were not watching and scrutinizing.

When you follow people blindly you might end up walking off a cliff.

George Lutfallah
Chicago Dispatcher

Your comment carries an incorrect presumption again

George - Again, you presume things.

I do NOT need to "build a career" The profit motive is not motivating me in what I do with cabdrivers in the Chicago area.

I am near age 63 - at the end of my career. It's none of your businesss, but I'll be specific about it anyway. Of my five children, two are married and completely independent. A third is self-sustaining in graduate school. A fourth is dead. The fifth is still in the nest, but my wife earns quite enough as a lawyer to support him. I don't need to make a lot of money like you presume I am trying to do.

At my stage of life, I can afford to give away time. Maybe what I do is going to be effective. Maybe it won't be. I'm going to do the best I can whether it's accepted or not. If cabdrivers say thanks, good. If they don't, I'm not asking for it. Nor am I seeking self-aggrandizement. It's purely an effort at giving back to the trade that gave a lot to me over the decades.

You're suspicious? That's your job. I can respect that. I'm going to do the best I can to move foreward anyway. And while we're on the subject, the City was served with summons on May 9 in the case of "The Magnificent Seven", and our motion to file an Amended Petition for Injunctive Relief is set for hearing before Judge Epstein on May 29. The City has not filed an answer or other pleading most likely in anticipation of receipt of the motion to amend.

Should you have other criticisms or questions, you are invited to direct them to me at my personal e-mail address: donald.nathan@sbcglobal.net

Donald Nathan

Don you misread what I wrote like you misread the surcharge ordinance

Don, your statement is false.

Nowhere did I say that you need to build a career.

Don't try to distract from the points I made by saying I presumed something. Spare me of the cheap lawyer tricks.

George

What is your point anyway?

George, "The statement is false", so what?

Don't you think that no one can read like you do?

Don't you think a lawyer who represents the seven drivers in court should entertain you more here?

Why don't you go out to interview the police officers who did not arrest Thomas Gniadek for felony charge at the first place on Feb. 24? Will there be any new policies implemented due to the case of the brutal attack on our fellow taxi driver Stanley Shen?

May be Superintendent Weis can give you a simple answer on how to make sure the “Steve Weisberg” law will be fully enforced by his department in the future?

May be Commisioner Reyer can also give you a simple answer why the "surcharge" ordinance is so justified?

Any answers yet from the city since the law suit was filed?

Don't you anything more importantant to do than chasing the lawyer who does not even represent you.

Replying to:

Don, your statement is false.

Nowhere did I say that you need to build a career.

Don't try to distract from the points I made by saying I presumed something. Spare me of the cheap lawyer tricks.

George

Re: What is your point anyway?

Welcome back Mr. Tang. It's about time.

I appreciate your questions and will share them with Jonathan.

By the way, I love it when a client defends his lawyer.

George

Re: Re: What is your point anyway?

George,

I am not defending anyone, and the city doesn't need your defend either.

I can be relaxed and let the professional to do the job, and I don't mind that you will file a seperate claim by yourself.

I just hope that you could try to get some quicker answers from the city for us, can't you?

Replying to:

Welcome back Mr. Tang. It's about time.

I appreciate your questions and will share them with Jonathan.

By the way, I love it when a client defends his lawyer.

George

Can I get an answer to my question?

Here it is again: What checks are in place to assure us that the legal action of a few will not have the effect of damaging all of us?

Re: Can I get an answer to my question?

George,

Your question is a strange one.There are no CHECKS in place. What would be the harm to you or any of you when the seven drivers filed this law suit anyway? The court room is open to you too, either against the city or the seven drivers in whole.

Who is stopping you?

FAIR QUESTION - HERE'S AN ANSWER

In 32+ years of practice, I've learned a couple of things - not that I've stopped learning things. One of the first lessons I learned was one picked up before I took an oath as a lawyer: "DON'T GUARANTEE RESULTS".

When that Petition for Injunctive Relief was first contemplated, then drawn, then filed, discussion was conducted with my clients about the iffy nature of the effort. The possibility that it might backfire was considered. We gave consideration to the fact that it might well end drivers up without a surcharge and without a fare increase.

The conclusion we reached was that it would be unlikely that if a court enjoined the City from enforcing the ordinance and ended the surcharge that the cabdrivers would stand idly by and take it quietly. We figured that gas would go way over $4.00 a gallon and that thousands of drivers would go to the Transportation Committee DEMANDING a serious fare increase. Alderman Allen and his fellow members on the Transportation Committee would be hard pressed to ignore a thousand drivers led by someone like Melissa Callahan or Mike Foulks or both of them.

So far we are right about gas. I'll make book about it going over $5.00 a gallon by Labor Day in the City, and it might even happen the sooner.

So the answer is that YES, it's a risky thing to go to court just like open heart or brain surgery might be a risky thing. You have to weigh the danger against the consequence of doing nothing. "The Magnificent Seven" did that, and they came to a conclusion that I think all are eventually going to come to respect.

I sure do hope so. I would rather think you do too.

Donald Nathan

Re: FAIR QUESTION - HERE'S AN ANSWER

Mr. Nathan, as a driver against the surcharge from day one I agree with you totally. I can't speak for all drivers but I think it is worth the risk.

Dear Mr. Nathan ~

Thank you for advocating for taxi cab drivers. I read your petition and I hope you are able to amend it as you said. Will that be soon? We do need a fare increase and we need one now. I saw what Big John was talking about with the confusion of the language and decided to read the rest of your demands.

Please forgive me for saying so but it appears to me that all you really asked for was the removal of the surcharge and your costs. The rest of it sounds quite vague and does not seem to ask for anything but status quo.

WE DON'T NEED STATUS QUO. WE NEED A FARE INCREASE. EVEN THE SURCHARGE IS BETTER THAN STATUS QUO!

PLEASE do change the language of this petition before the courts hear it. A fare increase is what we need but a surcharge is still better than nothing. Don't fight to get us back to nothing!

Respectfully,
Lon

Regarding Mandatory Injunctions - Court Initiated Legislation

Dear Lon Tonni:

Your posting is a very important one - you bring up the most difficult of our problems.

You read the petition correctly, and the amended one is going to be asking for basically the same things: wiping out a terrible ordinance and for the cost of filing the petition which is not much money and for whatever other relief Judge Epstein feels is fair and just. The amended petition should be on file in less than a couple of weeks. I am going downtown today to file the motion to do it, but the court cannot hear it the same day it is filed.

A fare increase is the only real goal of the plaintiffs: "The Magnificent Seven". But the court is not a legislature. What you and most cabdrivers would want Judge Epstein to do is to grant a MANDATORY INJUNCTION that forces the City to grant a fare increase. That is just not in the cards because the Court is not the City Council. The judge does not have the authority to do what Alderman Allen and his fellow Aldermen should have done. Only the City Council has that kind of power. The court can wipe out laws that are not fair, and the ordinance is not a fair one.

So you want to keep the surcharge? I'm afraid you can't have it both ways, Lon. Either you have the crumb they toss you off of the plate or you have the plateful. There's no middle ground, my friend. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

My clients, "The Magnificent Seven", and I respect the situation you are facing right now. It is going to get much worse: gas is likely to be $5 a gallon by Labor Day. How much is that surcharge going to matter by then? "The Magnificent Seven" who are the plaintiffs in that injunction case want to overturn the ordinance and force the drivers to march in a group of 10,000 on City Hall to DEMAND a serious fare increase.

Which would you rather have? A couple of crumbs? Or would you rather have something fair?

Respectfully yours in return,

Donald Nathan, Esq.

Replying to:

Dear Mr. Nathan ~

Thank you for advocating for taxi cab drivers. I read your petition and I hope you are able to amend it as you said. Will that be soon? We do need a fare increase and we need one now. I saw what Big John was talking about with the confusion of the language and decided to read the rest of your demands.

Please forgive me for saying so but it appears to me that all you really asked for was the removal of the surcharge and your costs. The rest of it sounds quite vague and does not seem to ask for anything but status quo.

WE DON'T NEED STATUS QUO. WE NEED A FARE INCREASE. EVEN THE SURCHARGE IS BETTER THAN STATUS QUO!

PLEASE do change the language of this petition before the courts hear it. A fare increase is what we need but a surcharge is still better than nothing. Don't fight to get us back to nothing!

Respectfully,
Lon

Re: Regarding Mandatory Injunctions - Court Initiated Legislation

Or we have nothing at all. That is also an option with this risky suit.

In reply to:
So you want to keep the surcharge? I'm afraid you can't have it both ways, Lon. Either you have the crumb they toss you off of the plate or you have the plateful.

Re: Re: Regarding Mandatory Injunctions - Court Initiated Legislation

OKAY, JEROME. MAYBE YOU'RE RIGHT, AND IT'S A RISKY LAWSUIT. BUT IF NOTHING IS DONE, AND THE PRICE OF GASOLINE CONTINUES TO SPIRAL UPWARD AND NO FARE INCREASE IS LEGISLATED, WHERE ARE YOU? I SAY YOU'RE UP A CREEK WITHOUT A PADDLE.

OFFHAND, I THINK YOU'RE BETTER OFF WITH THE SURCHARGE AND ALL THE OTHER AWFUL THINGS ATTACHED TO THE ORDINANCE WIPED OUT SO THE CITY COUNCIL IS FORCED TO TAKE A LONG LOOK AT A SIGNIFICANT FARE INCREASE!!!. IF THE SURCHARGE IS WIPED OFF THE BOOKS, YOU CAN BET THOUSANDS OF DRIVERS ARE GOING TO MARCH ON CITY HALL. TOM ALLEN IS GOING TO HEAR FROM EVERYBODY AND HIS BROTHER UNTIL A 25% FARE INCREASE IS PASSED, AND THERE'S GOING TO BE NO SLACKING OFF.

IS IT WORTH THE RISK? YOU TELL US, JEROME. THE "MAGNIFICENT SEVEN" THINK SO. SO TOO DO MOST SENSIBLE DRIVERS.

DONALD NATHAN

Or we have nothing at all. That is also an option with this risky suit.

Re: Re: Re: Regarding Mandatory Injunctions - Court Initiated Legislation

I agree with Mr. Nathan. If we throw the surcharge back in the city's face taxi drivers will be so starved that there will be mass demonstrations and marches on City Hall.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Regarding Mandatory Injunctions - Court Initiated Legislation

THIS IS STUPID WE CANT AFFORD TO STARVE YOU WANT US TO STARVE TO PROVE A POINT ITS NOT PLACE TO DO THAT DONO'T PLAY WITH MY MONEY

Suing the city is what we need. Maybe the language wasn't right the first time but that troubles me not. The main thing to do is send a message to the city that they will be subject to legal action. This is what the Brotherhood has been wanting for years. Glad somebody is finally doing it. Way to go guys.

Re: Re: THE AUTHOR SHOULD SPEAK

I agree with this posting 100 percent. Go mag seven!

melissa lots o' great points. only thing is though is that u talk 'bout the surcharge hearing. from what i hear there were 'bout 50 drivers there total. that's not a big enough turn-out to make the city crap their pants. pants-crapping numbers are the kinds to bring before u can say that numbers don't matter. and yeah yeah yeah i wan't there so who am i to talk.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suing to geta FARE deal

Your information is incorrect. The UTCC had approximately 50 drivers. In addition to that number there were at least another 25 drivers that attended individually. 75 people may not be a huge number but, it's the largest show of support at a public hearing that I've ever seen. If you compare the amount of drivers that have shown up to hearings in the past 5,10 to 75, that is a big difference.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suing to geta FARE deal

Just a point of clarification: There were about 50 people wearing UTCC armbands, but they weren't all drivers and not all of the drivers wearing the armbands were actually with the UTCC, but put on the armbands when they were given to them without realizing they were specific to the UTCC.

Thus the number of UTCC drivers is unclear but is markedly less than 50, unless somebody tries to claim that there were UTCC drivers there who weren't wearing the armbands.

I'd say that Melissa's estimate of 75 total drivers is pretty good and I concur that is a good turn out for Chicago taxi driver standards in recent years.

George Lutfallah
Chicago Dispatcher

Melissa,

I would like you or somebody to e-mail or send me all of the legal documents filed so that I may make a completely informed personal judgement.

I am in favor of repealing the entire surcharge ordinance. I am in favor of a 25% fare increase instead.

How would we have any authority or power you are imagining if we are not first organized to seek it?

The decision of the Transporation Committee was pre-determined, in my opinion, but please don't see me as a cynic who thinks that the hearing was unimportant. Politics is a continual process. When you get more organized, each small step is followed by a bigger one.

When we get a fare increase, most likely, that Transportation Committee hearing will also be just as pre-determined. That doesn't mean we can't have an impact on how the vote will turn out...it's just that all of the "lobbying" or "politicking" occurs beforehand usually and especially in Chicago.

There's nothing for the UTCC (or anybody else) to "accept" in any formal or legal sense. While I think that having a true collective bargaining power with the City COULD have a positive impact on how much we make and our "working conditions", etc., it is in no way the only, likely, or even most economical way for us to influence the public and the politicians to secure an "acceptable" fare increase or other legislation.

In other words, the terminology of traditional unions is confusing a lot of people. Ordinances from the City aren't "offers" for us to vote upon. In my opinion, almost all of the outside organizers ultimately want this situation or a quasi-effect to exist because of their presumption that this is what we really need. I'm putting an asterisks *** here for a reason.

Some of them want to be the suits running the union, imagining great power and personal renumeration.

Some of the less-ethical "unionizers" can and have abused the traditonal union model to essentially rip-off the poor people they are purporting to represent. Type in "Teamster", "federal", and "monitor" into your search engine and begin a long descent down the rabbit-hole.

I don't consider you a "Debbie Downer" at all, but I must disagree with your claims that all of the organizing projects have been "ineffective". They have had effects, but perhaps not exactly the ones desired or to the degree that each of us may have wished for.

I am continually re-evaluating our individual and collective situations. Like it or not, I would assert that I am always trying to determine the facts and understand the motivation of everybody involved. I am trying to act in concert, independently, and re-act to everything that's going on.

My problem with Donald Nathan and the injunction lawsuit?

First, Donald Nathan didn't properly prepare a case that was supposed to be "monumental" at 400 W. Superior!!! He presented a witness who wasn't willing to take the oath...hence, useless. He is so out of touch with the cabdrivers involved in his "cases" that he never would imagine that he should have anticipated that remote possibility and avoid it by preparing the witness properly. Legal 101.

I don't want to dash anyone's realistic hopes for the outcome of this lawsuit; it's the unrealistic and mythical hopes that I am concerned about.

Mayor Daley isn't concerned about lawyers; remember Meigs Field midnight bulldozer party?

This lawsuit is being popularized as a "lawsuit to get a fare increase". Wolf Weiss has used the term "heros". A lot of misguided "pre-credit" is being liberally applied by selfish or deluded actors.

I am aware of the complexities of the various aspects of the surcharge ordinance and brevity prevents me from addressing each here right now.

I wasn't only referring to this lawsuit as "approaching frivolity"; there's another where the purpose has been stated to be more for publicity and much less about an acceptable use of the legal system to pursue a case which has a fair likelihood of success.

My honest defense would be that I am referring to that case and the questionable fund-raising conduct involved there much more than the injunction case you had in mind.

I think I can best answer you question by stating that I believe that the current powers of the Commissioner could and should be restricted by the Court. However, that power must reside somewhere, and if not in the executive, it falls back to the legislators.

The judicial system is almost certainly not going to regularly decide how much of a fare increase we are entitled to. It might determine a minimum, but is that what we are going to "accept", the minimum standard?

I know you can "trust" George Kasp...verify with him what I told him about the lawsuit when he called me to ask if I was a party to it. I think he will assure you that YOU shouldn't be disappointed by the immediate, honest answer I gave him.

I support it, but I'm not involved, nobody asked me to be involved and I doubt they want me involved.

I have almost no respect left for Donald Nathan's character; he isn't the only lawyer in the world who could help Chicago cabdrivers. He has made a few inappropriate statements which I think could be referred to the ARDC for a resolution unfavorable to him. I have disengaged from him and I wouldn't report him to the ARDC while the Shen case is pending, if ever. He is a scumbag AND a lawyer.

Yes, I AM the kettle and I AM calling him black; the difference is, the ARDC doesn't regulate my public conduct.

I also don't think he's as selflessly helping us as he would like us to believe. He is a mysterious meddler who doesn't like to answer questions put to him, whether by George Lutfallah, myself, or anyone else who might be a "mope" or a "brownshirt".

All Donald Nathan and the "Insignificant So-Far" plaintiffs have done is "gotten attention". I wish them luck and I think they will need it.

Of course, under one scenario, the City could capitulate and just agree to repeal the surcharge ordinance...and also not grant us a fare increase.

Just because the City COULD be in violation of a legal principle doesn't compel the court to continue hearing the case if Mr. Nathan's services are suddenly no longer available and no one replaces him.

I've seen how quickly Mr. Nathan tires. We all would be better off organizing an effort to HIRE lawyers WE control if a legal route were our only option.

Fortunately, the legal route isn't our only option, never has been, and likely will never be.

I agree with you, Melissa, politics can make for strange bedfellows.

However, the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) as represented by Mike McConnell and Prateek Sampat have done more to hurt Chicago cabdrivers who are trying to "organize" than intentionally help.

I am willing to acknowledge the truth about any situation. My personal disagreements with their personal politics are, indeed, not as important.

Haven't you, too, become exasperated by the not-so-temporary inanity (yes, no 's') of Yi Tang?

I have very little use for useless non-cabdrivers. I can't say it any more politely than that.

I can better tolerate and more easily respect differences with Peter Enger and Wolf Weiss because they are fellow Chicago cabdrivers. I can't explain it any more simply than that.

The only worry about my personal reputation is when is deviates from reality. People can say whatever they want about me as long as it's true or at least a SEMBLANCE of an HONEST opinion.

Humility ain't one of my strengths; how's that for humble?

When we finally get a decent fare increase I'm definitely taking all the "credit" and mailing it away to Zimbabwe.

I have no doubt it won't make a shred of difference to them either.

We can all go out and celebrate then. I'll even do shots with Prateek Sampat until he pukes up all that propaganda he's swallowed and been regurgitating over the years.

Until then, let's keep our eyes on the prize, shall we?

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Mike -

Just a couple of thoughts I would like to share with you in regards to your last posting to Ahmed R.

You wrote: "Lawsuits can only achieve a minimum effect for us cabdrivers most of the time. The courts may determine that the city has not met minimum standards of responsbility and could order them to do so."

You are correct, a lawsuit is not a remedy for all of the taxi industry's problems. If the petition for injunction is successful, it would remove some very unfair new regulations. In my opinion, that would be a monumental achievement.

Mike wrote: "The ultimate point of membership-based organization is to also impact the legislative political process. Numbers equal power. If our groups get large enough and co-operate, we can achieve conditions which are not only "tolerable" or "fair", but actually BENEFICIAL or PREFERRED or EXCELLENT for Chicago cabdrivers."

Organizing is definitely important, but ask yourself, what good is it to be organized if you have no authority or power? You said that numbers equal power and I agree to a point. For example, you and I both attended the surcharge hearing a couple months ago and you saw that the UTCC achieved a good number of drivers to attend, there were also many other individual drivers as well. Think about what kind of an effect the numbers had and how well that worked out.

1. The UTCC presented their case to the Transportation Committee, set their conditions on which they would accept the gas surcharge and even with a good number of driver behind them, the surcharge along with the new rules and regs were still put into effect. The power of numbers was nonexistent.

2. Over 1,000 letters in protest of the new rules and regulations were submitted to the Commissioner, that was ineffective.

3. A good number of drivers have met with alderman on the Transportation Committee, that was ineffective.

We have no authority. I don't mean to seem like a debbie downer but, at some point everyone that is involved activism for taxi drivers needs to take a step back and look at this situation so that efforts that have proved to be ineffective are not continually repeated and our time is not wasted. Donald Nathan and plaintiffs are appealing to a higher authority, being the court system, on our behalf. What is the problem? Everything that we drivers have done has made much of a difference. Maybe being slapped with a lawsuit will give Mayor Daley, Alderman Allen and Commissioner Reyes a nice wake up call. Maybe they'll finally realize that they are not above the law and hopefully they will learn the meaning of justice.

Mike wrote: "I hope this sheds a little light on my skepticism of this current lawsuit "winning" a substantial fare increase anytime soon."

No need to be skeptical. I have not seen any postings by the plaintiffs of the injunction claim that the outcome will be a fare increase, maybe you should take another look at the petition.

Mike wrote: "Filing lawsuits which approach frivolity is not the only way for us to "get attention" at City Hall or elsewhere."

I'm very surprised that you're suggesting that this lawsuit is frivolous. Do you know what frivolous means? not important, not having basis. Are you saying that the unfair new rules and surcharge (attached with more ways the city can take our hard earned money) is not something important to fight? That we have no basis to try and stop this? If so, it is pretty disappointing that you feel that way.

Mike wrote: "We must do more than just "get attention".

I believe that is precisely what Donald Nathan and the plaintiffs are doing.

Mike, if this lawsuit is successful it will not be your victory and I think that's what is really the problem for you. Humble yourself. This is something good for everyone and it does not matter who has taken the action. If you want to be a part of activism in the taxi industry you need to understand that you are not going to like everyone involved in the politics on a personal level. It's not necessary that you hold hands with your enemies and/or competitors and skip down the sidewalk but, you do need to be able to work together with others as well as acknowledge when they have done something positive.

Melissa, Couldn't have said it better myself. We are on the same page here. Great response.

Mike was highly critical of the Mike Foulks labeled "Shen Seven" or "Magnificant Seven" He felt that they were cheating the rest of us by filing the suit. George felt that it should have gone through him first. I could post the quotes, but why bother. We all need to be able to work together. Lets try. Sure we might not always see eye to eye or even like the other. I have met Wolfgang Weiss and Stanley Shen of the Mag Seven. I have met Peter Enger. I even met Mike Foulks years ago when he was a newbie. I was/am able to communicate with all of them with the exception of Mike. He just doesn't realize that spitting venom drives people away. While not everyone can be positive all the time, who wants to meet with someone that bombs his fellow driver with insults.

Some of the previous organizers did some good and some bad. Steve Wiedersberg got a law passed to help protect us. He also gave a former commisioner a valentine. It was a chocolate heart box filled with some kind of foul thing. He made sure it was in the news. It made taxi drivers look like the bad people. I am worried that Mike will make the same impression on the general public someday. Screaming and yelling at city hall doesn't help.

A lawsuit does seem like the proper way to get someones attention. I do not know the answer to this for sure, but can almost guarantee that many lawsuits end up with an out of court settlement. Don Nathan might know the percentage of all suits never reaching a court decided verdict. I would bet that the parties involved in the lawsuit would like nothing better than a review of the rates and to have new fair rates established so we don't end up working day and night for free. Isn't this what everyone wants?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suing to geta FARE deal

Ahmed said, "George felt that it should have gone through him first."

Actually Ahmed, what I said was that I thought it should go through us first. You know that.

George Lutfallah
Chicago Dispatcher

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suing to geta FARE deal

I think you're right George with the us being the Dispatcher.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suing to geta FARE deal

I'm not with the Dispatcher but I'm glad I got the chance to get my two cents in about the lawsuit. I'm also thankful to George for putting up this forum to give me and you the chance to say so. No disrespect to Mr. Nathan but a lot of us saw the problems with the way the petition was written. I don't see where you objected to anything at all, even though even to Mr. Nathan it should have been written better. You are critical of Mike Foulks and never say a good word about him and you are always positive to the UTCC and Mr. Nathan's people and are never critical of them. I think there is a lot you aren't telling the rest of us about yourself.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suing to geta FARE deal

Nathan says he amending the petition. The city has so far ignored the lawsuit according to him. He's working for free. What more do you want? I don't expect him to be a magician like Johnny Cochran. If you or anyone else can get a 63 year old attorney to work for free for us please post his info.

I have said good things about Mike, read my posts. He did do a good job of writing a response letter to the Tribune. The original letter writer was a fool. This writer thinks we should work for free and take his abuse at the same time.

Now for something you don't want to hear, Peter Enger did point out the the complaint per ride ratio is almost zero. Not like the bogus numbers it was purported to be on the TV news. The news people got the "story" directly from the DCS. Am I missing something here? I do not belive I saw a correction in the Dispatcher, but will be happy if I did indeed miss it.

If George does his thing and Enger and Co. does theirs perhaps the industry can benefit. My respect for the UTCC and Nathan comes from the fact they are not afraid to take the "gloves" off. A city license holder would be a fool to take his/hers off unless the cause/case was a so called slam dunk. I do know for a fact the the city gets much more than the fair share of legal decisions to go their way in Cook County courts. They are a vindictive bunch.