General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Defamation Update

In law, defamation (also called vilification, slander, and libel) is the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, expressively stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government or nation a negative image. Slander refers to a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report, while libel refers to any other form of communication such as written words or images. Most jurisdictions allow legal actions, civil and/or criminal, to deter various kinds of defamation and retaliate against groundless criticism. Related to defamation is public disclosure of private facts which arises where one person reveals information which is not of public concern, and the release of which would offend a reasonable person. "Unlike libel or slander, truth is not a defense for invasion of privacy."
False light laws are "intended primarily to protect the plaintiff's mental or emotional well-being." If a publication of information is false, then a tort of defamation might have occurred. If that communication is not technically false but is still misleading then a tort of false light might have occurred.

History

In the later Roman jurisprudence, from which many of modern laws descend, verbal defamations are dealt with in the edict under two heads. The first comprehended defamatory and injurious statements made in a public manner (convicium contra bonos mores). In this case the essence of the offense lay in the unwarrantable public proclamation. In such a case the truth of the statements was no justification for the unnecessarily public and insulting manner in which they had been made. The second head included defamatory statements made in private, and in this case the offense lay in the imputation itself, not in the manner of its publication. The truth was therefore a sufficient defense, for no man had a right to demand legal protection for a false reputation. Even belief in the truth was enough, because it took away the intention which was essential to the notion of injuria.

The law thus aimed at giving sufficient scope for the discussion of a man's character, while it protected him from needless insult and pain. The remedy for verbal defamation was long confined to a civil action for a monetary penalty, which was estimated according to the significance of the case, and which, although vindictive in its character, doubtless included practically the element of compensation. But a new remedy was introduced with the extension of the criminal law, under which many kinds of defamation were punished with great severity. At the same time increased importance attached to the publication of defamatory books and writings, the libri or libelli famosi, from which we derive our modern use of the word libel; and under the later emperors the latter term came to be specially applied to anonymous accusations or pasquils, the dissemination of which was regarded as particularly dangerous, and visited with very severe punishment, whether the matter contained in them were true or false.

Types of torts - Slander and libel

The common law origins of defamation lie in the torts of slander (harmful statement in a transitory form, especially speech) and libel (harmful statement in a fixed medium, especially writing but also a picture, sign, or electronic broadcast), each of which gives a common law right of action.

"Defamation" is the general term used internationally, and is used in this article where it is not necessary to distinguish between "slander" and "libel". Libel and slander both require publication. The fundamental distinction between libel and slander lies solely in the form in which the defamatory matter is published. If the offending material is published in some fleeting form, as by spoken words or sounds, sign language, gestures and the like, then this is slander. If it is published in more durable form, for example in written words, film, compact disc (CD), DVD, blogging and the like, then it is considered libel.

Criminal defamation

Many nations have criminal penalties for defamation in some situations, and different conditions for determining whether an offense has occurred. ARTICLE 19, Global Campaign for Free Expression, has published global maps charting the existence of criminal defamation law across the globe. The law is used predominantly to defend political leaders or functionaries of the state.

In Britain, the Italian anarchist Errico Malatesta was convicted of criminal libel for denouncing the Italian state agent Ennio Belelli in 1912.

In Canada, though the law has been applied on only six occasions in the past century, all of those cases involve libellants attached to the state (police officers, judges, prison guards). In the most recent case, Bradley Waugh and Ravin Gill were charged with criminal libel for publicly accusing six prison guards of the racially motivated murder of a black inmate.

In Zimbabwe, "insulting the President" is, by statute, (Public Order and Security Act 2001) a criminal offense.

Defenses

Even if a statement is derogatory, there are circumstances in which such statements are permissible in law.

Truth

In many legal systems, adverse public statements about legal citizens presented as fact must be proven false to be defamatory or slanderous/libel. Proving adverse, public character statements to be true is often the best defense against a prosecution for libel and/or defamation. Statements of opinion that cannot be proven true or false will likely need to apply some other kind of defense.

The use of the defense of justification has dangers, however; if the defendant libels the plaintiff and then runs the defense of truth and fails, he may be said to have aggravated the harm.

Another important aspect of defamation is the difference between fact and opinion. Statements made as "facts" are frequently actionable defamation.

Statements of opinion or pure opinion are not actionable. In order to win damages in a libel case, the plaintiff must first show that the statements were "statements of fact or mixed statements of opinion and fact" and second that these statements were false. Conversely, a typical defense to defamation is that the statements are opinion.

One of the major tests to distinguish whether a statement is fact or opinion is whether the statement can be proved true or false in a court of law. If the statement can be proved true or false, then, on that basis, the case will be heard by a jury to determine whether it is true or false. If the statement cannot be proved true or false, the court may dismiss the libel case without it ever going to a jury to find facts in the case.

In some systems, however, notably the Philippines, truth alone is not a defense.[10] Some U.S. statutes preserve historical common law exceptions to the defense of truth to libel actions. These exceptions were for statements "tending to blacken the memory of one who is dead" or "expose the natural defects of one who is alive." [11]

It is also necessary in these cases to show that there is a well-founded public interest in the specific information being widely known, and this may be the case even for public figures. Public interest is generally not "that which the public is interested in," but rather that which is in the interest of the public.[12] [13]

Privilege and malice

Privilege provides a complete bar and answer to a defamation suit, though conditions may have to be met before this protection is granted.

There are two types of privilege in the common law tradition:

• "Absolute privilege" has the effect that a statement cannot be sued on as defamatory, even if it were made maliciously; a typical example is evidence given in court (although this may give rise to different claims, such as an action for malicious prosecution or perjury) or statements made in a session of the legislature (known as 'Parliamentary privilege' in Commonwealth countries).

• "Qualified privilege" may be available to the journalist as a defense in circumstances where it is considered important that the facts be known in the public interest; an example would be public meetings, local government documents, and information relating to public bodies such as the police and fire departments. Qualified privilege has the same effect as absolute privilege, but does not protect statements that can be proven to have been made with malicious intent.

Other defenses

Defenses to claims of defamation include:

• Truth is an absolute defense in the United States as well as in the common law jurisdictions of Canada. In some other countries it is also necessary to show a benefit to the public good in having the information brought to light.

• Statements made in a good faith and reasonable belief that they were true are generally treated the same as true statements; however, the court may inquire into the reasonableness of the belief. The degree of care expected will vary with the nature of the defendant: an ordinary person might safely rely on a single newspaper report, while the newspaper would be expected to carefully check multiple sources.

• Privilege is a defense when witness testimony, attorneys' arguments, and judges' decisions, rulings, and statements made in court, or statements by legislators on the floor of the legislature, or statements made by a person to their spouse, are the cause for the claim. These statements are said to be privileged and cannot be cause for a defamation claim.

• Opinion is a defense recognized in nearly every jurisdiction. If the allegedly defamatory assertion is an expression of opinion rather than a statement of fact, defamation claims usually cannot be brought because opinions are inherently not falsifiable. However, some jurisdictions decline to recognize any legal distinction between fact and opinion. The United States Supreme Court, in particular, has ruled that the First Amendment does not require recognition of an opinion privilege.

• Fair comment on a matter of public interest, statements made with an honest belief in their truth on a matter of public interest (official acts) are defenses to a defamation claim, even if such arguments are logically unsound; if a reasonable person could honestly entertain such an opinion, the statement is protected.

• Consent is an uncommon defense and makes the claim that the claimant consented to the dissemination of the statement.

• Innocent dissemination is a defense available when a defendant had no actual knowledge of the defamatory statement or no reason to believe the statement was defamatory. The defense can be defeated if the lack of knowledge was due to negligence. Thus, a delivery service cannot be held liable for delivering a sealed defamatory letter.

• Claimant is incapable of further defamation–e.g., the claimant's position in the community is so poor that defamation could not do further damage to the plaintiff. Such a claimant could be said to be "libel-proof," since in most jurisdictions, actual damage is an essential element for a libel claim. Essentially, the defense it that the person has a bad reputation before the libel, hence there was no further damages by the statement.

In addition to the above, the defendant may claim that the allegedly defamatory statement is not actually capable of being defamatory—an insulting statement that does not actually harm someone's reputation is prima facie not libelous. Also, the public figure doctrine, also called the absence of malice rule, may be used as a defense.

Public figure doctrine (absence of malice)

Special rules apply in the case of statements made in the press concerning public figures, which can be used as a defense. A series of court rulings led by New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, 376 U.S. 254 (1964) established that for a public official (or other legitimate public figure) to win a libel case, the statement must have been published knowing it to be false or with reckless disregard to its truth, (also known as actual malice). [14]

Under United States law, libel generally requires five key elements. The plaintiff must prove that the information was published, the plaintiff was directly or indirectly identified, the remarks were defamatory towards the plaintiff's reputation, the published information is false, and that the defendant is at fault.

The Associated Press estimates that 95% of libel cases involving news stories do not arise from high-profile news stories, but "run of the mill" local stories like news coverage of local criminal investigations or trials, or business profiles.

Media liability insurance is available to newspapers to cover potential damage awards from libel lawsuits.

Defamation and freedom of speech

Defamation laws may come into tension with freedom of speech, leading to censorship or chilling effects where publishers fear lawsuits, or loss of reputation where individuals have no effective protection against reckless or unfounded allegations.

Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights permits restrictions on freedom of speech which are necessary for the protection of the reputation or the rights of others.

Jurisdictions resolve this tension in different ways, in particular in determining where the burden of proof lies when unfounded allegations are made. The power of the internet to disseminate comment, which may include malicious comment, has brought a new focus to the issue. [16]

There is a broader consensus against laws which criminalize defamation. Human rights organizations, and other organizations such as the Council of Europe and Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe, have campaigned against strict defamation laws which criminalize defamation.

The European Court of Human Rights has placed restrictions on criminal libel laws because of the freedom of expression provisions of the European Convention on Human Rights. One notable case was Lingens v. Austria (1986).

References
1. ^ Common Law Privacy Torts
2. ^ Invasion of Privacy
3. ^ a b FALSE LIGHT by Professor Edward C. Martin - Cumberland School of Law, Samford University
4. ^ from Latin : libellus ("little book") (Webster's 1828 Dictionary, Electronic Version. Christian Technologies, Inc. (182 . Retrieved on 2006-12-31.
5. ^ Online Etymology Dictionary. Retrieved on 2006-12-31.)
6. ^ 50 Am.Jur.2d libel and slander 1-546
7. ^ 19 maps
8. ^ Net.au web site
9. ^ Zimbabwe Public Order and Security Act 2001.
10. ^ Republic of the Philippines. The Revised Penal Code. Chan Robles law Firm. Retrieved on 2006-11-24. “Art. 353. Definition of libel. — A libel is public and malicious imputation of a crime, or of a vice or defect, real or imaginary, or any act, omission, condition, status, or circumstance tending to cause the dishonor, discredit, or contempt of a natural or juridical person, or to blacken the memory of one who is dead.”
11. ^ See, for example, Section 18-13-105, Colorado Revised Statutes
12. ^ Legal dictionary. findlaw.com. Retrieved on 2006-11-24.
13. ^ Legal Terms. legal.org. Retrieved on 2004-10-22.
14. ^ New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, 376 U.S. 254 (1964).
15. ^ Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights
16. ^ BBC News, reporting the comments of Professor Michael Geist, July 31, 2006
17. ^ IRIS 2006-10:2/1: Ilia Dohel, Office of the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media. Representative on Freedom of the Media: Report on Achievements in the Decriminalization of Defamation
18. ^ PACE Resolution 1577 (2007): Towards decriminalisation of defamation
19. ^ Bundeskriminalamt ( Federal Police) Yearly Statistics 2006 http://www.bka.de/pks/pks2006/download/pks-jb_2006_bka.pdf
20. ^ Libel On The Internet: An International Problem
21. ^ The recent spat by the DBS bank is proof that the libel law in Singapore needs to be reformed
22. ^ House of Lords - Berezovsky v. Michaels and Others Glouchkov v. Michaels and Others (Consolidated Appeals)
23. ^ Letter From the Editor - Barron's Online
24. ^ Murphy v. LaMarsh (1970), 73 W.W.R. 114
25. ^ Société Radio-Canada c. Radio Sept-Îles inc., [1994] R.J.Q. 1811

Re: Defamation Update

So these laws do not apply to wacko nutbag's like Flouks?

Re: Re: Defamation Update...the TRUTH is the Best Defense

All laws apply to me, Mike Foulks, however nutty you think I am.

The law of "Just Rewards" is what is being applied to Donald Nathan in the revelation of his e-mails detailing his questionable behavior amongst those of us who are trying to organize current Chicago cabdrivers.

-Mike Foulks

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Time for a little lesson in legal reality

Okay, sonny. You think you're such a hotshot on defenses to defamation? Let's cut to reality.

You, sir, are JUDGMENT PROOF. It doesn't matter if you defame me or not. It doesn't matter if what you say is true or not. It doesn't matter if I sue you. It doesn't matter if I serve you with a summons at a flophouse in "Chinatown" or at "Zaiqa" with a special process server.

No matter what I do to you civilly, it's a waste of money and time. It would cost me $319 to the Clerk of the Circuit Court to file suit, $230 for a Jury Demand, $60 to the Sheriff who would never get you served, $6 to the Clerk for an "Alias Summons" and then $55 to the Special Process Server who would have to be appointed on a motion that takes me time to draw, spindle and present. You might even be able to duck a P/I.

I am not about to waste four or five billable hours of time on taking a judgment against someone who is without assets to pay it, much less toss money into the breeze on the Clerk of Court, Sheriff and a P/I. What would be the point? There's nothing to collect if I win.

So if you want to break wind with whatever you think people are going to believe to be the "truth", I say "that's cool". Knock yourself out. I'm sure you'll never run out of wind.

Just keep it in mind that while you can shoot me in the head and kill me, you'll never wear me down. My pro bono publico cabdriver clients know I am not going to walk away no matter how much blow you ho.

Donald Nathan

Replying to:

The law of "Just Rewards" is what is being applied to Donald Nathan in the revelation of his e-mails detailing his questionable behavior amongst those of us who are trying to organize current Chicago cabdrivers.

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Are you suggesting I "defamed" you, Mr. Nathan?

Mr. Nathan,

Are you suggesting that I "defamed" you?

How so?

If you are, then you are a worse lawyer than I've earlier suspected and realized.

The Chinatown Hotel is a "flophouse"? Have you ever been there, Mr. Nathan?

How did you determine I have no "assets"? Aren't you being a little presumptous again?

How would you use facts to support your declarations and conclusions, (especially since you've apparently not gathered any)?

Can a case of defamation be made when someone publicly spreads lies about another which causes them harm? Especially when the statements are recorded?

The irony is that I couldn't rely on your answer here as good advice in any event, no?

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Okay, sonny. You think you're such a hotshot on defenses to defamation? Let's cut to reality.

You, sir, are JUDGMENT PROOF. It doesn't matter if you defame me or not. It doesn't matter if what you say is true or not. It doesn't matter if I sue you. It doesn't matter if I serve you with a summons at a flophouse in "Chinatown" or at "Zaiqa" with a special process server.

No matter what I do to you civilly, it's a waste of money and time. It would cost me $319 to the Clerk of the Circuit Court to file suit, $230 for a Jury Demand, $60 to the Sheriff who would never get you served, $6 to the Clerk for an "Alias Summons" and then $55 to the Special Process Server who would have to be appointed on a motion that takes me time to draw, spindle and present. You might even be able to duck a P/I.

I am not about to waste four or five billable hours of time on taking a judgment against someone who is without assets to pay it, much less toss money into the breeze on the Clerk of Court, Sheriff and a P/I. What would be the point? There's nothing to collect if I win.

So if you want to break wind with whatever you think people are going to believe to be the "truth", I say "that's cool". Knock yourself out. I'm sure you'll never run out of wind.

Just keep it in mind that while you can shoot me in the head and kill me, you'll never wear me down. My pro bono publico cabdriver clients know I am not going to walk away no matter how much blow you ho.

Donald Nathan

Replying to:

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Defamation Update...the TRUTH is the Best Defense

Why don't sue him, Mike.

Chicken ****?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Defamation Update...the TRUTH is the Best Defense

Tom,

Sue who for what?

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Why don't sue him, Mike.

Chicken ****?