General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Commissioner's Corner

From the Chicago Dispatcher, June 4, 2008

Commissioner's Corner
By: Norma Reyes

Pursuant to Rule 2.03 of the Rules and Regulations for Taxicab Medallion License Holders, the following vehicles are affected by the Vehicle Age Rule, and must be taken out of service by the first period inspection of 2009 unless granted an EXTENSION:

- Fleet Sedans - 2005 Model Year
- Owner/operator vehicles that are not leased - 2004 Model Year
- Long wheel base Ford Crown Victorias - 2004 Model Year
- Vans - 2004 Model Year
- Wheelchair-accessible vehicles - 2004 Model Year
-Alternative fuel vehicles, including hybrid gasoline/electric engines - 2003 Model Year

The Department of Consumer Services grants vehicles that are in top physical condition with a good inspection history an additional year on the road. In order to be eligible, an owner must submit a written request for a one-year extension on a form made available by the Department at any public vehicle facilities and on our Web site, www.cityofchicago.org/consumerservices. These requests will be accepted through 5:00 p.m. June 30, 2008 at the Public Vehicles Division, 2350 W. Ogden, Chicago, IL, 60608. Mailed requests must be postmarked by June 30. (Please note that no late forms will be accepted under any circumstances.) Depending on the inspection history of the vehicle and the vehicle condition, the Department will either grant or deny the one-year extension. Receiving a one-year extension means the vehicle will not have to come out of service until the first period inspection of 2010.

There are many reasons why a vehicle can be denied an extension, specifically, we are checking the vehicle's physical condition and inspection history. If the vehicle has received a citation for an unsafe mechanical problem in its last inspection or if the vehicle has extensive wear and tear, making it unsafe and/or uncomfortable for passengers an extension will be denied. For example, a vehicle can be denied an extension if it has received a citation for illuminated dash warning lights, a disconnected ABS hose, or worn out tires, or a citation for the condition of the suspension system. Clean, well maintained vehicles are very likely to receive an extension.

If you submit an extension request, DCS will mail a response by July 31. Extension requests for ineligible vehicles - a vehicle with a model year that is not listed above - will not be processed nor sent a response. Last year, nearly 500 requests were submitted for vehicles that were not otherwise set to retire and not eligible for an extension. Please review the list above to double check that your vehicle is eligible for an extension before submitting a request.

In 2007, DCS became aware that a small number of owners were using unlicensed medallion managers. This is illegal. Per 9-112-322 of the Municipal Code of Chicago, if a public vehicle licensee uses a person not registered as a license manager, his or her license can be suspended or revoked, and a fine of up to $750 can be levied. Protect yourself and your investment by ensuring that the manager that you use is licensed and qualified to do business with the City of Chicago. Asking your manager to show proof of licensure is a good business practice and will save you trouble in the long run. For your convenience, a list of licensed medallion managers is available on our Web site. Please be aware that under no circumstances will the Department do business with someone who is not licensed as a medallion manager.

In its on going effort to ensure that the taxi industry in Chicago is as safe and professional as possible, the Department will be enforcing the Vehicle Age Rule and section 9-112-322 of the Municipal Code. These standards have a positive impact on the industry. Taxis will be safer for passengers and drivers, and owners who maintain safe, clean vehicles will get an extra year of service from their taxis.

Re: Commissioner's Corner

"In its on going effort to ensure that the taxi industry in Chicago is as safe and professional as possible?..."

Oh?

Then why were the "standards" for getting a Chauffeur license lowered?

Re: Re: Commissioner's Corner

I don't see this as a contradiction at all. If you make it easier to get a hack license that means more drivers into the industry and the best and most reliable ones will stay. If getting a license is made too tough then plenty of good people won't think it's worth it to get a hack license in the first place.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

"In its on going effort to ensure that the taxi industry in Chicago is as safe and professional as possible?..."

Oh?

Re: Re: Re: Commissioner's Corner

The first three words say it all, "I don't see..."

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I think you just laid one. Lower standards, fewer trained drivers, more bad drivers on the streets, more tickets, more revenue for the city.

According to some in city hall, what we need is a lot of under-trained, scared, culture shocked drivers who don't understand their rights and don't know how to seek assistance to keep these sweat shops on wheels rolling!

Duh!

Replying to:

I don't see this as a contradiction at all. If you make it easier to get a hack license that means more drivers into the industry and the best and most reliable ones will stay. If getting a license is made too tough then plenty of good people won't think it's worth it to get a hack license in the first place.

Replying to:

Oh?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Commissioner's Corner

You insult me because I have a different opinion? You must be one of those infamous rude Chicago cab drivers.

Ignore the "Brain Damaged"; he's "begging" for attention...or an ass-kicking!

Tommy Cab,

"Brain Damage" is likely a Chicago cabdriver named "Wolf Weiss", who posts under many different aliases on this site.

His undies are in a bunch because he has had an issue with the publisher of this website's newspaper reporting of his and others' "organizing" activities.

Please try to ignore "Brain Damage"'s comments. He isn't the best example of most cabdrivers in Chicago or even those who participate on CabMarket.com, organizing or not.

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

You insult me because I have a different opinion? You must be one of those infamous rude Chicago cab drivers.

Re: Ignorant fascination with my "Equus asinus"

I think you have some kind of fag-sination for my ass.

I think you want to do a lot more to and in my donkey than just kick it.

There are about 44 million donkeys today. You must be one of them.

Tell you what long ears, you bring $500 and I'll bring Wolfdog and Big Fat Mouth (vagina) and even Matthew the would-be composter.

If they are not real, you give up the money and Big Fat Mouth won't crush your brainless skull with his Big Fat ... oh ya know.

Replying to:

Tommy Cab,

"Brain Damage" is likely a Chicago cabdriver named "Wolf Weiss", who posts under many different aliases on this site.

His undies are in a bunch because he has had an issue with the publisher of this website's newspaper reporting of his and others' "organizing" activities.

Please try to ignore "Brain Damage"'s comments. He isn't the best example of most cabdrivers in Chicago or even those who participate on CabMarket.com, organizing or not.

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Re: Re: Ignorant fascination with my "Equus asinus"

Tommy Boy,

"Mike Foulks" is likely a Chicago cabdriver named "Luke Miskof", who acts like many different asses on this site.

He is the first know clincial case ass-o-schiza-mania.

You can't trust anything this trash mouth says and he should horse whipped on his asinus.

Replying to:

Tell you what long ears, you bring $500 and I'll bring Wolfdog and Big Fat Mouth (vagina) and even Matthew the would-be composter.

If they are not real, you give up the money and Big Fat Mouth won't crush your brainless skull with his Big Fat ... oh ya know.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Tommy Cab,

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

A simple test, Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy,

It's a simple test, really. My name is Mike Foulks and I've never posted anything on this site using anything other than my own name.

Wolfgang Weiss is a "failed" organizer of the "CPTDA" from a few years back who keeps getting resuscitated by outsiders.

He is known to post under many different aliases so he can either pretend that other people agree with him or pretend that many other people want to insult or make fun of me and others.

The test is simply, do you believe me or "Brain Damage", who is very likely, Wolfgang J. Weiss, wjw, and dozens of other "people"?

He's actually interesting to read at times. He has creative intelligence; he made me laugh out loud once I quickly enough, but not too quickly realized that "Luke Miskof" was an anagram of my name.

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Tommy Boy,

"Mike Foulks" is likely a Chicago cabdriver named "Luke Miskof", who acts like many different asses on this site.

You can't trust anything this trash mouth says and he should horse whipped on his asinus.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Tommy Cab,

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Re: Re: A simple test, Boston Boy

Did you every notice that "wjw" are the same initials as for Wolfgang J. Weiss?

They have to be the same guy. It's just beyond the law of averages or something that there are two guys posting on this forum with the same initials.

Mike Father of Fools Foulks is known for hearing voices. He may use one name, but he hears many voices. They won't deny it.

Oh, and can you really believe anything a guy that goes by "Brain Damage" says?

If you are not clear what is going on here on this website, then get some adult supervision into the room with you before proceeding further.

It's for your own protection to, avoid permanent mental and spiritual harm.

I now have a Mikey doll and I will stick needles into its (his) head if he does not behave.

Mike, in the interest of public safety, please post your driving schedule so I don't stick you while you're driving.

--Big Fat Voodoo Mouth--

Replying to:

Tommy Boy,

It's a simple test, really. My name is Mike Foulks and I've never posted anything on this site using anything other than my own name.

Wolfgang Weiss is a "failed" organizer of the "CPTDA" from a few years back who keeps getting resuscitated by outsiders.

He is known to post under many different aliases so he can either pretend that other people agree with him or pretend that many other people want to insult or make fun of me and others.

The test is simply, do you believe me or "Brain Damage", who is very likely, Wolfgang J. Weiss, wjw, and dozens of other "people"?

He's actually interesting to read at times. He has creative intelligence; he made me laugh out loud once I quickly enough, but not too quickly realized that "Luke Miskof" was an anagram of my name.

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Tommy Boy,

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Tommy Cab,

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

I'll need some time...

I don't have $500. I'm "judgment-proof", remember?

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Replying to:

Tommy Cab,

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Re: I'll need some time...

Beggars! Then just bring $20 and a gallon jug of wine, any flavor.

Replying to:

I don't have $500. I'm "judgment-proof", remember?

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Replying to:

Tommy Cab,

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Commissioner's Corner

No, I insult you because you suggest you are from Bean Town.

After the Revolution, pahk the Cah in the garahge please!

Tings is a little different in dis town, Tommy boy.

Your opinion is not "different" it is naive.

You are buying into one of the many BIG LIES the city PROMULGATES.

Rude driver? At least you got that right, I am one of the rudest drivers in the City of Chicago.

("Beans really set me off! I am the guy who got into an argument with a customer because he farted in my cab and it stunk so bad I kicked him out of the cab, took his briefcase and puked in it.)

My point: You are believing the political double talk and back peddling that decreasing the level of standards for gaining access to the industry somehow increases or benefits drivers.

Pure hogwash my friend. That's just twisted up logic.

Not your fault though, we have all been brain washed to think and believe in out government officials and that they will do the right thing of, for and by us.

I got over it. You can too.

That is why I call myself Brain Damage.

Replying to: